Vegans / Vegetarians / Raw Foodists

I guess I didn't think about the people who just find meat gross. That's a good excuse for not using leather. Yes Geek, the weed up here is renowned, but with that come the hordes of white people with gross dreads and Bob Marley shirts.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about going veggie, currently I limit my meat eating to "organic" and free range sourced meats, but working restaurants have totally destroyed my love of meat. Boxed chicken and cow, bagged lamb, bagged calamari .. gets wierd when you start to think about how extensive the distribution is and how many animals that ends up being.

As far as local and organic foods go, Ontario has a wealth of organic farmers as well as a vast array of farmers markets, many in Toronto and one in most small to medium sized towns.

We get fish twice a week, but it comes from fish farms in China.....?

Fuck fresh-local, apparently.

For the record, no baker these days would coat pans with butter or fat. Every cook looooves their food-release, and that's hydrogenated canola or soybean oil, something like that. Strictly benign and horribly wasteful to use.

We get fish twice a week, but it comes from fish farms in China.....?

Fuck fresh-local, apparently.

For the record, no baker these days would coat pans with butter or fat. Every cook looooves their food-release, and that's hydrogenated canola or soybean oil, something like that. Strictly benign and horribly wasteful to use.

Fresh fish is tough

I want to know where the tuna we get comes from

I'd probably have a laugh

Ddml do you have any links/recomendations to /for good veg recipes preferably using seasonal ingredients ???

Ddml do you have any links/recomendations to /for good veg recipes preferably using seasonal ingredients ???

Changing Seasons Macrobiotic Cookbook has always been a favorite...even if you're not macrobiotic, you can still get some great ideas in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Changing-Seasons-Macrobiotic-Cookbook-Aveline/dp/1583331646

• 2 weeks later...

a few months ago i started feeling shitty after eating meat..mainly beef or pork. So i pretty much eliminated both from my diet and im considering eliminating poultry as well and becoming veggie. Since this is the vegan/vegetarian thread id appreciate any recommendations as well on some good dinners/meals or just foods in general that you enjoy.

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to leather... today almost all leather is a byproduct or secondary product of the beef industry, so its arguable that its at least semi-ethical in that aspect. At the same time, if beef consumption wained (not in my lifetime) to point of where cows were being slaughtered with the primary product being leather, I would cease buying it.

With animal welfare and all that bs aside, I would much rather buy leather shoes that can be resoled, patched, repaired, and could last me 30+ years if well taken care of, rather than buying synthetic disposable ones that I might get a year out of. Planned obsolescence, low quality goods, and anything that could be considered disposable are one of the major problems that modern life and industrialization have created which then in turn lead into more waste, consumerism, globalization, shitty quality of life etc etc. Shits all related if you think about it from the roots up.

i just posted over in what are you eating today....

but yea, im attempting to quit eating refined sugar...like no candy bars, ice cream, breakfast cereals, jellies, fruit juice

fruit..and natural occuring sugars are okay but fuck the refined food additive stuff...

has anyone ever accomplished such a feat?

as far as veganism/vegetarianism goes....im neither...i dont eat red meat though and i stick to either grilled chicken, fish, or turkey.. but i dont base my meals on them typically...i eat a lot of beans and legumes and veggies

Dude, I work at a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and I could never do it as a lifestyle. I can put down 30-40$ worth of veggie food (average meal is 12-15$) and not even come close to being full.

I think I actually just need meat to fill me. nohomo.

• 1 year later...

i had a bad experience with tofurky products (sun dried tomato "sausage") so don't think ill go back to that

ill stick with morningstar and boca for now

havent tried garden or any portabello. anyone have experience?

I don't eat those shitty fake-meat products because of all the soy shit that is in them. If you're a dude eating soy, you might want to reconsider your choices (before you grow breasts and your balls shrivel up into raisins and you start humping dudes).

PS. spinach portabella mozzarella lasagna for dinner tonight :D

What. I hope you don't actually avoid all soy products because you're afraid of your estrogen levels.

Soy appreciation.

Primarily, soy affects the quality and concentration of a male’s sperm, especially if taken in large quantities or if the subject was exposed to high levels in the womb. A recent study at Harvard University showed that there was a definite correlation between men with low sperm counts and a high intake of soy foods. The study revealed that the average sperm concentration of 80 to 120 million per millimeter of an adult male was more than halved when soy formed part of the diet. The case is more compelling in the study of obese males whose sperm levels are even lower owing to the estrogen making properties of fat tissue.

I'll stick with non-soy vegetables, whole grains, and fruits, while you appreciate your lowered libido, growing breasts, and ill-performing sperm.

Any tips on easing into Vegtarianism? Been wanting to do it for a while but giving up meat, fish, chicken cold turkey seems to be a bad idea. Also, I workout 5 days a week, including distance running and weight lifting. Any suggestions on high protien non meat items i can use? Mainly because what i use after workouts is mainly meat to add the protien.

i wish that there were "cheaper" vegan restaurants (not including ordering "vegan food" from regular restaurants)

i need to know!

i usually eat at native foods, which is reasonable, but open to other options.. the thai/vegan hybrid restaurants are usually ok

• 3 months later...
Any tips on easing into Vegtarianism? Been wanting to do it for a while but giving up meat, fish, chicken cold turkey seems to be a bad idea. Also, I workout 5 days a week, including distance running and weight lifting. Any suggestions on high protien non meat items i can use? Mainly because what i use after workouts is mainly meat to add the protien.

I'm the same. I'm pretty dependent on soy, dairy and eggs; but also legumes and grains. Soy can be in expensive at Asian Markets. Just be prepared to buy in bulk so that you can portion your meals out well. I recommend eating more smaller meals and getting into a routine. I think the one thing that's important though (more so than even protein) is compensation for the nutrients you would normally get from red, white meat and fish. Vitamin B6, 12 etc. Iron, Zinc are all things that someone can quickly become pretty deficient of. Ultimately you'll always be battling Anemia. Goodluck!! PM me for more tips. (Vegetarian bodybuilding for about a year now)

why veggies have username like organic ketchup or grilled cheese ?

i need meat guys, i am skinny and i could not imagine how skinnier i would be without meat

the only vegetables i like are potatoes, tomatoes, some carrots

but i live in the uk for five months now and red meat is total shit compared to france

i dont know why i post on this thread probably because its ramadan and im hungry

also i hope for all of you vegs that tropicana doesnt lie when it says its juices are 100% fruit

I've been vegetarian for just about 6 years, with a period of eating fish in there too.

Just ate at Sunflower Cafe in Atlanta, GA on vacation, best vegan meal I've ever had. Walnut encrusted tofu cutlet with balsamic reduction over collard greens and basmati rice. shit was delicious.