Headwear and Gloves questions

DJ_Flame

What's a quality manufacturer of technical headwear for winter?

Also, which would be a better choice for a cold (-25 avg) and dry winter: Leather or woollen gloves?

sorry to ask, but put up with me since I'm a newbie to winter weather, having lived most of my life on the sunny pacific coast

Where do you live?

I don't think leather or woollen gloves alone will be enough to keep you warm. I would go with some high tech snowboarding or ski gloves because they have multiple layers. Wearing leather gloves underneath some baggy wollen gloves would work also...

Edited by 134 on Oct 15, 2005 at 10:29 PM

Tight gloves won't work that well, no matter what they are made of. There needs to be some air between your hands and the cold to slow heat loss from your hand. I don't think you are going to find any thick woollen gloves with lining, but you could wear glove liners under your woollen gloves.

When you hand is touching something like leather (that is chilled by the air around it) it looses heat faster than it would if there was a layer of air between your hand and the material. It's sort of like putting you hands in 40 degree water versus 40 degree air. That's why leather gloves or any close fitting gloves will not be as warm as thicker ones.

You won't look rediculous wearing ski gloves because chances are a lot of other people (fashionable and otherwise) will be wearing them. What will look rediculous is walking around with you hands tucked into your pockets or in your sleeves because your gloves are not warm enough.

Edited by 134 on Oct 16, 2005 at 07:43 AM

Try getting some mitts with the removable finger-part. You can fold the mitt part back to reveal your fingers if you need to manipulate something, and then fold the mitt part back down to keep your hands warm again.

I hate bulky gloves, so I just stick with $1 acrylic cheapies, which are fine if I keep my hands in my pockets.