iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

How can kids have afforded leather jackets!? I hate the 50s-60s. Everyone got to wear such quality stuff!

Probably didn't cost more than $20.  

Don't know why leather jackets have gotten so outrageously expensive (probably charge that much because they can).  Less than 20 years ago, you could get your hands on a top end repro A-2 for around $500 (which wasn't cheap then!), now it's up over $1200.  How did leather, cotton, and wool suddenly cost more than double to make into a jacket?!   

Don't know why leather jackets have gotten so outrageously expensive (probably charge that much because they can).  Less than 20 years ago, you could get your hands on a top end repro A-2 for around $500 (which wasn't cheap then!), now it's up over $1200.  How did leather, cotton, and wool suddenly cost more than double to make into a jacket?!   

Demand baby, demand! Sadly companies can charge as much as they think people are willing to shell out while not limiting the demand to less than the quantity they are happy to produce. Sure labor costs and such have gone up but clothing has routinely been a high markup industry which is what ends up driving the prices.

Same principal goes for why luxury watch prices have gone up astronomically since the 80's as well as a myriad of other like things.

Edited by Bradly

Raw materials have gotten way more expensive over the years, especially relative to the strength of the dollar.  

The other big problem though is that the kind of production that is sought out for repros etc. used to be a standard part of scaled factory production, before "innovation" paved the way for all sorts of cost cutting measures.  Nobody is making Levi's repros at anywhere near the scale Levi's was in the 50's and 60's, and it's honestly pretty remarkable that some of the Japanese companies do it for the prices they do, at the level they do.  

I don't know enough about the causes of this to speak on it with authority, but I can tell you when it comes to leather, the biggest problem all american companies I've talked with are having has to do with sourcing leather of equivalent quality to what they've always used.  That is to say, a company that makes super nice custom motorcycle jackets and relies on hide quality as both a form and functional aspect of their product has to go to more work, and pay significantly more money to source hides equivalent to what they have previously been able to get more easily and cheaply.  I have heard this cited by numerous North American makers of leather jackets and boots/shoes.

Companies have to make choices when these things happen…do they want cling to what has traditionally been their price point at the cost of cutting corners and utilizing previously unacceptable materials, or do they want to keep building things the same way, but pass on the increased costs to their customers.  Not an easy position to be in, but I know which companies I want to still do business with.