iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2008 at 10:16 PM, Ispy said:

I'm not really sure that these count as iconic "photos", but they definitely have a place here:

2919826746_75449a7e66.jpg

2919826740_506906d755.jpg

Photo above came to mind after seeing Mr. Uncle Frank post his freshly cleaned TCB in the other thread.

Working my way slowly through this thread from the beginning, both out of interest and to avoid too much repetition. Not sure I’ll succeed. But these popped up early on. Anyone know whether these are quilts from Gee’s Bend?

16 hours ago, bloom said:

Photo above came to mind after seeing Mr. Uncle Frank post his freshly cleaned TCB in the other thread.

Working my way slowly through this thread from the beginning, both out of interest and to avoid too much repetition. Not sure I’ll succeed. But these popped up early on. Anyone know whether these are quilts from Gee’s Bend?

I can’t accurately verify offhand but they sure look like it. Great find. For me, my favorite post in this thread. But then my mom is a textile artist and made me quilt of mashed up 80s denim when I was a kid. 

1 hour ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

I can’t accurately verify offhand but they sure look like it. Great find. For me, my favorite post in this thread. But then my mom is a textile artist and made me quilt of mashed up 80s denim when I was a kid. 

That sounds pretty great. If you should happen to still have it, I hope you'll consider posting a photo of it.

Big fan of quilts and textiles myself, the women in my family made them too, up until the late 80s (around the time I showed up). So I grew up with quilted blankets, bedcovers, one on the wall...but was too late to pick it up myself, unfortunately. They weren't made of denim, though, and unsurprisingly not anywhere near the level of what was made in Gee's bend, aesthetically.

Still hard to get hold of good books on the subject (rare, expensive, oop), but the online resources seem to have gotten a lot better since I first learnt of their existence:

https://www.soulsgrowndeep.org/gees-bend-quiltmakers

4 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

Typical Putin, still stuck in the 80's with his bleach wash bollox. Coulda paired em with something better than black Oxfords.

At least the torso is covered. 

With the turn of direction this thread has taken, I'm resisting the temptation to post a photo of Obama in his 'dad's jeans.' Instead I'll share this photo of what look to be 80s Orange Tabs by Wolfgang Tillmans:

Screenshot_20230511-183517_Instagram.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, bloom said:

Yes, those are Gee's Bend quilts - thanks for posting. Years ago the Whitney Museum in NYC had an exhibit of their quilts. The ones made from old denim were insanely beautiful.

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/9780965376648?shipto=US&curcode=USD&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwpuajBhBpEiwA_ZtfhXrgseedspnbeLWS50-WCnHgni6baHibbQtzQlZU8Tb5GFK5KmSJthoCMuYQAvD_BwE