iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

13 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Thanks Duke, just looked it up. I’ve never even heard of it before.

:blink2:

Really?

I think it’s one of the best western-themed monster horror comedy movies ever made … in fact apart from the numerous sequels it might be the only western-themed monster horror comedy film ever made :laugh2:

Actually though it’s great fun - definitely worth watching

• 5 weeks later...

Good try! :biggrin:
But still no - back then even wore white socks but I’d never go back. If they had any other colour socks on, that photo would look even better imho. I don’t even wear them for running in (on the rare occasions my hamstring allows me to). The photo’s from an article on today’s BBC homepage, definitely worth a few minutes of anyone’s precious time.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wyoming Are bust.

This photo definately belongs in the iconic denim photos thread imo, even more so in recent years with all the Levis jacket books/historical discoveries (books like Denimseekers come to mind). Plus it's the only photo l've seen with what looks like an early pocket-flapped 506xx (well 2 actually) - the model made between 1927 and c.1932.

The photo is dated August 1929 and the text reads: " My grandfather Lee Patterson (left) and his friend Delwin Jackson, left thier homes in Laredo, Grundy county, Missouri to find work in Wyoming in 1929. They were eventually employed by a Mr. Armstrong to 'break broncs'. The trip took a scant '3 days and 2 nights'.

So the photo is iconic but the back story maybe not so much <_<

20220720_160210.jpg

And a close up..

20220720_160127.jpg

Edited by Dr_Heech

53 minutes ago, indigoeagle said:

Interesting

The pocket is quite low.

Yes, the pocket on the jacket on the right is the lower of the two, as it's in line with the middle row of pleat-box stitching and button placement (like early work shirts) which is why l say 'what looks like..'  The jacket on the left the pocket looks above the button/pleat box stitch, and looks almost unquestionably like a 506xx. Both have the smaller size buttons and rounder collars, typical of the levis 506 at the time. There are no similar type of jackets being made at that time, which would visually confuse this with those that were, and this photo provides the details. This pic also appears in Denimseekers book and has been authenticated (?) although by whom..

Edited by Dr_Heech

Great stuff doc, I've been into seeking out vintage photos lately. Started reading Denimseeker's book again last night, specifically interested in the 36-37 era models.
Care to share any resources to start searching for photos like this? I think the Library of Congress has a lot of great old photography.

18 hours ago, Broark said:

Great stuff doc, I've been into seeking out vintage photos lately. Started reading Denimseeker's book again last night, specifically interested in the 36-37 era models.
Care to share any resources to start searching for photos like this? I think the Library of Congress has a lot of great old photography.

I quite often come across random stuff on lg (like suggestions) but other than that, alot of my 'research' is basically typing in '1921 levis waist overalls' into google and then going through a laborious process of just going through dozens of pics til something sparks my interest, and then down the rabbit hole l go. And repeat. Although Pinterest has alot to answer for imo.

My trouble is, l'm non-tekky so most of the info l have gleaned over the past few decades ends up in my head which is becoming a library of useless denim history/info.  Sorry l can't be of any help but if you find any resources or decent pics, post them up.

Btw, l was wrong about the weird middle beltloop on the back of pre-1936/7 501XX. I thought it was pre NRA era thing, but now after seeing so many pairs without exposed rivets (like your WH pair your selling), it seems more likely it was a post-nra tagged/brief experiment feature leading up to that model. So say 1935-1936. So both the last model 501xx, made with exposed back-pocket rivets, and the new 1936 first model 501xx (titled 501xxC), which had the new covered rivets on the back pockets, had this understitched back belt-loop. Then it was returned to normal soon afterwards. 

Edited by Dr_Heech

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...