iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

9 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

F678AD6E-1EA9-4C4F-BDD4-C43B8A4C98D5.jpeg

Joanie (who got married to Chachie) spent all her money on crack and end up living in a trailer park, the cast sued the shows producers for image rights but she blew that on crack got booted out of her trailer and died of cancer, penniless in her 50's...tragic really

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Wasn't sure where to put this. But thought some of you may enjoy it. A home movie, said to be from the 1950's, and possibly from the Wisconsin area where I grew up. It shows tobacco work, which I was doing the same way when I was in High School in the late 70's/early 80's.  Backbreaking work. Anyway, there are some great shots of men in overalls and jeans. Someone in Austria bought it at a market and was told it was from Stoughton, Wisconsin.

Farmleben in Wisconsin um 1950 - YouTube

Edited by buler

Really cool stuff @buler, love seeing old photos/videos like this. I'd never venture into wearing overalls because I never do work like that!
My dad's side of the family is from eastern Kentucky and they (his grandparents, so my great grandparents) were tobacco farmers.
When I was about 18 I actually made it up there and saw the old family farm. No longer in operation but to see the old curing house was pretty neat.
Hearing stories from my grandpa about how they would spend all summer there cutting/hanging/drying the tobacco out was really cool.
That was also the first time I tried my first bit of real Kentucky moonshine.

Thanks @Broark. It really brings back interesting memories. You're out there in the hot fall sun, sweating your ass off. First you go thru the fields and cut all of the 'bacco with a razor sharp axe. Bent over the whole time. A friend of mine layed his arm open with his ax. Then you use the very sharp spear head to "string" the stuff. It splits the stalk of the tobacco and you push it onto the wood lat. My cousin ran the spear head right thru her palm. Definitely a backbreaking good time! Did I mention the giant green tobacco worms?

When i was a young apprentice i used to periodically maintain/replace all the wooden machinery at the local snuff mill at Sharrow on the river Porter (just around the corner from where we currently live ) the mill was modernised in the late 60's incorporating steam power along with the waterwheel (wtf!) all the machinery was made of wood so i used to replace it when it wore out .. some of the old fellas who i used to work with would scrape the solidified snuff from the frames of the sieve boxes and re-stock their own snuff boxes... sounds like something from the Victorian era but this was the mid-90's :D the mill is still producing snuff today, albeit all the wooden machinery has been replaced with modern machinery.

https://sharrowmills.com/pages/our-history

19 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Who say’s men can’t multi-task?

Isn't our 'inability' to multitask a myth, based upon the notion that we can't possibly do the cooking, cleaning, washing, home school all at the same time because we're only mere men who's brains just arn't wired to do all the mundane shit simultaneously :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Isn't our 'inability' to multitask a myth, based upon the notion that we can't possibly do the cooking, cleaning, washing, home school all at the same time because we're only mere men who's brains just arn't wired to do all the mundane shit simultaneously :ph34r:

I’ve been ‘told’ it’s not a myth ...

15 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

When i was a young apprentice i used to periodically maintain/replace all the wooden machinery at the local snuff mill at Sharrow on the river Porter (just around the corner from where we currently live ) the mill was modernised in the late 60's incorporating steam power along with the waterwheel (wtf!) all the machinery was made of wood so i used to replace it when it wore out .. some of the old fellas who i used to work with would scrape the solidified snuff from the frames of the sieve boxes and re-stock their own snuff boxes... sounds like something from the Victorian era but this was the mid-90's :D the mill is still producing snuff today, albeit all the wooden machinery has been replaced with modern machinery.

https://sharrowmills.com/pages/our-history

Good to see its still working  

• 3 weeks later...

Well he’s been well preserved hasn’t he!?

So if the eruption was around 2,000 years ago then Levi’s oilcloths should now read F/O 1,950 years. I’ll report the find to the archives quicksmart. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...