iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

Richie Cunningham wore 70's 501's most of the time.

Additionally, l have also seen Robin Williams in the old Mork and Mindy's wearing 70's 501's throughout most of the series.

There are plenty of times l remember seeing some of the boys in the Waltons family wearing 70's 501's over the years too.

I guess 1970's 501's have been around for some time.

Edited by Dr_Heech

9 hours ago, Sansome1877 said:

I thought you might be able to clear up the situation doc, what other jeans had selvedge in the mid 70’s?

That's a question which is broad as it is long. It's something to be researched as Levis were the only ones out of the big 3 to still use selvedge. I would imagine some store brands might have still used selvedge (??)

24 minutes ago, dennnnnnnnn said:

When did Levi’s stop making selvedge if at all?

Circa. 1984, although by then alot of levis factories had already adopted the overlock stitch when the larger looms replaced the old 29" models. This process started in around 1981/82 and was completed c.1984.

19 minutes ago, generic_guy said:

There is a repro of that shirt on eBay atm in my size.

Keep looking at it but it is £175, still tempting though.

Many many brands have made that shirt (without the W obviously) - I’d be expecting some good quality at that price

Cheers, looking at it again on eBay I think it would likely be too small anyway.

It's the Bluebell repro from a few years ago, also looks like there is one in a medium for a much more reasonable £70.

The seller with the XL has loads of really fantastic vintage Lee denim but it isn't cheap, they seem happy to keep re-listing and waiting for the right buyer.

12 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

I remember that brand.

Lois was a rip off of Lee imo

A couple of brothers from Spain founded it, they employed the women in the village to make workwear and sold it by travelling village to village on the back of a donkey. They imported denim from the US, eventually investing in their own looms and producing Lois denim in 1962...apparently ;)

image.thumb.png.babb52c464ea6c5d17a12738c01a4ef6.png

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I used to wear Lois jeans as a child/early teen. I thought they were pretty good and wouldn’t call them a Lee rip-off. I never wore the faded variety with the split seams at the bottoms though, which were de rigeur with the football casuals.

^ I had Lois too as a kid and thought they were cool... recall them getting too tight (presumably as I grew and they shrunk through washing) and having to lie down, thereby flattening my belly more, to pull them on 

10 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

A couple of brothers from Spain founded it, they employed the women in the village to make workwear and sold it by travelling village to village on the back of a donkey. They imported denim from the US, eventually investing in their own looms and producing Lois denim in 1962...apparently ;)

image.thumb.png.babb52c464ea6c5d17a12738c01a4ef6.png

Fantastic illustration by Moebius though.