iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

that's most definitely Washington Square Park for most of the pictures - that's the students building at the school of education in the background (now NYU Steinhardt School).

also, the neighborhood shots fit better...

Edited by Foxy2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Gary Cooper in 'The Westerner'  My favorite Cooper perfomance -- he and Walter Brennan are fantastic together throughout... the first 45 mins of the two of them are great.

He is wearing some kind of Levis: movie is from 1940

f13c55c9912ec21b33dc2bd1a11c7853.jpg

552dbfe0c7d99.image.jpg

Seen this movie twice over the years. Definately a prewar buckleback 501XX. Can't see which way up the yoke is stitched so unsure whether it's  a 1937-39, a 1940, a 1941, or a 1942 model. 

Would need to go over the negs with a fine-toothed combe to have any chance of a proper possible date-of-manufacture.

I have watched far too many old B&W westerns btw 

• 1 month later...

Following @Double 0 Soul's LIFE shout out.

Not an iconic denim photo per se, but I really love this Carl Mydans photograph from an assignment he completed for LIFE at the Tule Lake Internment Camp. I was fortunate enough to to help with the LIFE Magazine exhibition where the original print is currently displayed. As the story goes, Mydans reported that this young man was singing "Home on the Range."

Carl Mydans, Young Japanese man strumming a guitar inside the Tule Lake Segregation Center, 1944

Carl Mydans, Young Japanese man strumming a guitar inside the  Tule Lake Segregation Center

Edited by Suitedupmon

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, buler said:

Here is one I found:

chinese_railroad_workers.JPG

So good, much appreciated! Particularly interested in the through lines between what they were wearing (traditional clothing etc.), and what might've eventually inspired Levi's Jackets if anyone has the details. Interested in the denim aspect of it too as I'd always assumed they just wore traditional clothing as typically pictured, but you figure everyone had to be wearing work wear at some point. Super cool to see this was the case

He’s amazing. Huge fan of his music and one of my lads is named after him  

Have you seen the documentary Heartworn Highways? Fantastic scene copied below for others to see, and to keep on topic it includes a very cool modified type 3 worn by a blacksmith friend of Townes.

19C3DD45-B706-4135-B120-C2548000C268.thumb.jpeg.e74399a26f98f458fee57a6697feb3e1.jpeg

Edited by unders

• 2 weeks later...