iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

Giving credit is ethical..BUT kinda difficult to do for photos that aren't "marked" with copyright.  As long as you don't take credit yourself I think it's fine (besides, the intent is to share so that others can appreciate the owner's work).  If it wasn't meant for sharing it should have been explicitly protected digitally or otherwise (which is equally difficult to do).  So best you could actually do is to take it down when someone makes a legitimate claim.  I don't think there's bad faith in the posts.  Cheers everyone! :)

Giving credit is ethical..BUT kinda difficult to do for photos that aren't "marked" with copyright.  As long as you don't take credit yourself I think it's fine (besides, the intent is to share so that others can appreciate the owner's work).  If it wasn't meant for sharing it should have been explicitly protected digitally or otherwise (which is equally difficult to do).  So best you could actually do is to take it down when someone makes a legitimate claim.  I don't think there's bad faith in the posts.  Cheers everyone! :)

Yes, but on the other hand, everything you just said is common sense and therefore it has absolutely no place on the Internet. :D :D :D

One of my favorite photographers is Russell Lee, who worked for the FSA and took thousands of photos in the 30s and 40s.

A former slave in 1939, in Texas, holding a horn that was used to call slaves:

fn9u2Cq.jpg

A farmer in Arkansas, 1938:

4zAaXU6.jpg

Tenant farmer and his mother in Iowa, 1936:

2Iw68Jo.jpg

And my favorite, a man at a burger stand in Alpine, Texas, 1939:

SiGxix0.jpg

tumblr_nc4ng1r6fT1rdwjbyo1_1280.jpg

Credit to Larry Niehues, who remarks about his work:

"Feel free to share and like the images as long as you credit me with the following ©Larry Niehues Thanks! Contact me for LIFESTYLE photoshoots or collaboration at [email protected]"

http://larry-niehues.tumblr.com/

tumblr_n3hjyeHesp1qe0lqqo1_1280.jpg

This one (of the unquestionably iconic Marvin Gaye) was taken by Jim Britt in 1973.

"Feel free to share and like the images as long as you credit me with the following ©Larry Niehues Thanks! Contact me for LIFESTYLE photoshoots or collaboration at [email protected]"

This one (of the unquestionably iconic Marvin Gaye) was taken by Jim Britt in 1973.

My God, you really are a needy, attention seeking cunt. Troll on if that's if that's how you get your kicks.

if someone says "please give me credit when posting my work on the internets" then it's not just fucking courtesy (and not pedantic) to do so, NOT doing so is actually simple assholery. Hollows is just right on this.

Then I don't know what you and your hipster friend are getting your panties in a bunch over, as no one has ever asked me to "credit" their "work" in any of the photos I've posted.

Also, while I realise English may not be your first language, you may want to look up the standard definition of the word pedantic before you state that someone isn't being pedantic.

I was referring to this:

I obviously didn't mean every single creator personally PM'ing you asking for credit.

Whatever, I'm out, I have no personal stake in this disagreement. I just didn't see why it's such a big fucking deal to credit someone.

I was referring to this:

I obviously didn't mean every single creator personally PM'ing you asking for credit.

Whatever, I'm out, I have no personal stake in this disagreement. I just didn't see why it's such a big fucking deal to credit someone.

Not every photo I link comes from the original source so I don't know who the original owner is or whether or not they want credit and I doubt 99% of them give a flying fuck anyway.

Also, if you have no personal stake in this disagreement why the fuck did you get involved in the first place and encourage a troll and make it worse?

Fucking dope. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Come on, Hollows' tone was reasonable enough and it was you who instantly flew off the rails. Maybe there's some specific tumblr-backstory that I'm not aware of? Anyways, I did get involved because IIRC this whole argument has not happened in private messages between you and Hollows, but right here in public, and turns out sometimes people get involved in stuff. I sure do regret it now, though. "Encourage a troll", oh my.

this is fucking superfuture who cares what orbwho does shit in here. really now boys drop this . this fucking forum is like a big frat house . who cares man let it go . credit or no credit let the owner of the fucking photo take care of the guy or not. not some sufu police or something

This is actually more than just a matter of what is "fair." In the US, it is potentially a legal issue. Photographs are covered under US copyright laws. Providing proper attribution covers one for plagiarism, but it doesn't cover one for copyright violations. All photographs are automatically copyrighted and the photographer does not have to "claim" or request copyright for it to be honored. Under US law, the general rule of thumb is that you must get the express written consent of the photographer (or their estate) in order to reproduce them. The exception to this covered by the "Fair Use" doctrine which is pretty specific and applies to "purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research." Is a discussion forum covered under the "Fair Use" exception to copyright? I don't know. I leave that to the legal experts.

So what could happen if one did violate copyright laws? If the copyright owner decides to pursue it, one could be subject to legal proceedings, fines, etc. Websites and accounts could be shut down. Will the copyright owner be aware of a violation or decide to pursue it? Perhaps or perhaps not. It is up to the individual to decide whether to take the chance.

Personally, I enjoy the photos in this thread. It is completely up to those who post them and the owners of superfuture if they want to continue doing it. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of denim, boots, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hf7RCWI.png

This is a photo I took of a photo in a pub toilet. Couldn't see who to credit with the original and the landlord didn't have a scooby either. Technically though since I took THIS photo do I credit myself? Sorry, but well.... Anyone wishes to credit on my behalf feel free.

Whatever, I like the picture - don't know if these are local dudes (I somehow doubt it), but the pub is VERY old and on an estuary so it would be nice to think so.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...