479 members have voted

1. 1. Are you up for it

• YES - Beatle rocks
    • NO - Beatle doesn't suck

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other denim that comes to mind is Eternal....price wise also a great option...

But I think it would be fair to give Gordon a break - after organizing the Dubbleworks contest..

But I'm gonna shoot him an email...

if it's eternal i'm in.

i've been looking for an excuse to purchase 811s.

^You would've enjoyed sitting next to Mr Freedom while he called the head of Sugarcane in the middle of the night with a question regarding denim weight or something and to thank for the whole bottle of japanese booze we just finished...

Too bad i was so fucking gone that i didn't realize it was like 1am in Japan and i woke up his wife. Christophe and i probably had so much of that shochu to drink that we both did the time conversion math wrong. All while you were trying to smuggle a jacket out of his store.

Ok, i just read through the thread..

How's this?

We can do Flat Head, and maybe even use their 5XXX denim instead of 3XXX to mix things up a bit because so many already have a lot of experience with their 3XXX denim.

Price will be near what they retail for now, only because FH won't budge on pricing easily.

We can also do Dry Bones, and we can work on pricing to a point of which i THINK we can drop it down below $250.. maybe less depending on how many we do. We'd still offer our free shipping so it'd be the price we set, flat, regardless of where you are.

Dry Bones might be cool because we've seen less worn in pairs, and if you've seen the Denim Indigo Master guide, check out the pair of Dry Bones Guitar Wolf jeans, the fading is quite nice and a very vintage style of wear.

Also, we can do a slim cut, but not skinny... Or just a slim straight classic cut like a slimmed down '66 with a slightly lower rise.

^^

that would be dope; dry bones is still pretty underexposed on sufu

the only better idea i've heard is:

maybe Edmond could ship out all his unworn denim and we could have contest with them.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EDIT: oops Kiya posted above while i was typing this...so now it is meaningless

Well i think that if this is a contest that people want to be sponsored by SelfEdge then Flat Head of course makes sense. They have a strong partnership. Or Dry Bones because I think Kiya is a fan of the brand and would like an opportunity to blow them up here a bit. And the Red -D slims are on my "to buy" list. It does appear Dry Bones may not be the fastest fading denim around though.

If we wanted another BiG contest then Eternal is a great choice because there are a lot of people that haven't been able to wear the 811s because of the short inseam, which is now no longer an issue, and Gordon does appear to have some influence with the company. And the denim evolves so well. I think a lot of people wearing eternals for a year straight would generate some awesome pairs of jeans. And the price is right.

My thoughts anyway...

Can you guys please look at the words coming out of Kiya's mouth?

Special run?

Let's be honest, how many times do you get to fuck around with a special run.

Also, look at all the contests over at mynudies. See how many of them that just goes right down the drain. You know why? No obvious sponsor. So just.. take the deal and run guys!

have faith opie, the evisu will come to live! i know it...I BELIEVE IN YOU GORDON!!

also, what about a SUGAR CANE or IMPERIAL contest?

we have never seen those two before

and sugar cane makes the okinawas and hawaiis, both straight cuts

and imperial makes the kings. I agree with everyone else that skinny/slim cut is getting bland, i like the idea of a straight silhouette more.

For the record, Dry Bones' Sushi Ear denim does NOT fade as slowly as a few have said. I've seen pairs in Japan that look to have some decent wear after only four or five months..

the thigh in the Red D isn't that skinny really. i am starting to think the Red D slim cut is a great choice actually. look in the Dry Bones thread for fit pics and see what you think. there's also a pic in WAYWT chat that shows Kiya wearing his i think.

same here. my suspicion is that if eternals are chosen the participation will be extraordinary. that one holy grail pair was the first drooled over around here iirc - shit it could also serve to tribute the intrigue in denim that pair brought (couple the denim contest with a motorcyle belt contest perhaps?). also, i think most would agree that its difficult not to get amazing results. it'd be cool to see a contest between a bunch of amazing pairs. i have never seriously considered any other contest, but would most likely do it if it was eternal.

if it's eternal i'm in.

i've been looking for an excuse to purchase 811s.

eternal_811-6_front.jpg

For those that missed my thoughts the first time around:

How's this?

We can do Flat Head, and maybe even use their 5XXX denim instead of 3XXX to mix things up a bit because so many already have a lot of experience with their 3XXX denim.

Price will be near what they retail for now, only because FH won't budge on pricing easily.

We can also do Dry Bones, and we can work on pricing to a point of which i THINK we can drop it down below $250.. maybe less depending on how many we do. We'd still offer our free shipping so it'd be the price we set, flat, regardless of where you are.

Dry Bones might be cool because we've seen less worn in pairs, and if you've seen the Denim Indigo Master guide, check out the pair of Dry Bones Guitar Wolf jeans, the fading is quite nice and a very vintage style of wear.

Also, we can do a slim cut, but not skinny... Or just a slim straight classic cut like a slimmed down '66 with a slightly lower rise.

I'm up for this having missed out on so many others.

I would vote for a slim rather than skinny fit, a la 505 or 47. As far as off-the-wall options, I'd like to see that with the fabric, maybe with the 5100 yellow line denim. And if we go for different hardware, something really minimal, maybe plain doughnut buttons and vintage-stlye, hand-hammered solid copper rivets. TO give us something high-quality, but super-plain... stealthy.

This. This right here.

does "slim" dry bones mean a looser cut than the current red-d?

only reason i'd be against the dry bones is b/c of the sanforized denim. doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

i think paul t's suggestions are the best so far, re: fit (505... too much '47 everywhere), hardware and toned down aesthetics. i also think a lot of members have their share of low rise slim/skinny jeans, and since sizing up seems to be the sufu trend of the moment, we might as well ride it out in full glory. i'm not recommending a baggy cut, but some that lets our thighs and waist breath a little bit with a rise that wont result in exposed asscracks. just my $.02

Do you consider a red d slim or red d slim inspired cut to fit into this description?

I know it has a strong taper, but it also has a long inseam. Could some people hem the length to reduce the intensity of the taper? Maybe that would allow it to fall into both camps?? Some keep it long for stacking and some hem it for a more classic fit. I dunno...

The ideas being tossed around here are great, and I particularly appreciate the fact that cost does matter here. What made the warehouse contest so effective was the fact that the jeans weren't crazy expensive. I personally think even 250 is too much, but if it were able to go to even just 225, that would be palatable over all.