C.R.O.S.U. : Comic Readers of Sufu Unite

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about halfway through Watchmen. I'd never read any Batman but I just finished Year One and The Man Who Laughs, Long Halloween is next.

I'm downloading Preacher because I always wanted to read it back when I used to always see it in Wizard.

Any of you guys read Sam & Twitch? That was my favorite comic for a while, especially the first arc. Great dialogue by Bendis. I particularly liked that the main characters were not superheroes by any means.

Preacher was spectacular, always thought it'd make a great movie. I didn't mind the revamped Punisher Ennis and Dillon did. Thought it was very entertaining.

Also, in HK, I loved reading all the triad comics. That shit was so vulgar, I always wondered why there weren't any US comics with gangs and criminals as the protagonist. Generally, fighting cops and rival gangs > trying to stop crime in tights.

Some comic books I picked up recently from the San Diego Comic-Con. I'm not really into serials or much of Superheroes / Third-Tier characters / storylines, etc... so I mostly just look for trades or work that stands on its own.

Batman: Year 100 was a good read - I'm a fan of the artwork and Paul Pope is a great writer and world-builder. I'm really hoping to pick up his Art of Paul Pope or whatever - I've heard it's got some really interesting essays on his process / how he re-imagines comics / history of the medium, etc... This was definitely one of my favorite Superhero / Batman releases recently.

batman100.jpg

Other Batman recommendations go to the obvious Year Zero / Dark Knight Returns, if only to see Batman go from weird campy nonsense to much closer to the "modern" interpretations.

joshsimmonskx0.jpg

House from Josh Simmons' is a wordless story about some kids who explore an abandoned house. Really fantastic.

Haven't gotten around to reading The Push Man and Other Stories from Yoshihiro Tatsumi or the enormous Black Hole from Charles Burns. Saving that for the plane.

Anyone have any other suggestions as far as graphic novels / comics go that are fairly extensive (at least as long as Year 100[/i] [i.e. 200 some pages]) that will make good on-the-plane reading? I'd appreciate them by tomorrow.

Dear good comic-readers of Sufu,

I have 3-or-so boxes full of comics. Titles range from Avengers to Conan (Savage Sword and Marvel syndication) to Robot Fighter and so on. I'm working on a full inventory of titles, but since there are over 500 or so comics, it's gonna be a fuckload of work that I'm not interested in doing to sort them by their tag #'s, issue/vol #'s, etc. etc.

There are a number of rare and special comics amongst the midst of filler and back issues, and the comics range in years, some from the late 60's and some up till the early 00's, so there is a good deal of variety and flavor. Mostly Marvel, a handful of DC,a few Dark Horse, a handful of independent and subsidiary labels of both majors, and various other pilot issues and flotsam. A few art books, some TPB's of certain series, and one or two manga books.

So I pose this to you superfuture - who will take these comics off my hands? I am working on an inventory of titles, and I am very willing to part with many of these comics for a very acceptable price, and in reality - I'd love if someone just bought the whole lot so I didn't have to ship the goddamn things individually, but thats not realistic unless you wanna sort through what's good and resell for your own benefit - but regardless, I've got a whole shitload of comics that I have not read, all are in the good to good+ and the rare comics are in very good to very good+ condition, so what do you say? Help a brotha out?

I'll post inventory and might even make a supermarket thread in the near future (once inventory is taken/done), but other than that, get at my via PM if you have any questions.

Cheers,

It is very difficult to sell comic book collections since the speculator craze. Even places like milehighcomics aren't buying shit out as often.

I would do an inventory and post on ebay, because I'm lazy. Or, I would buy table space at a local comic book convention and try to sell. Best bet would be SDCC, since they have ridic amount of resellers secluded in one corner. But then again SDCC is fucking crowded and a pain to set up shop in.

Good luck.

Servo - Tatsumi is fucking fantastic. He held a panel two years ago that was A+++++. Is he there this year?

anybody have a good reading order for civil war? i heard the checklist just tells you what month and order they released in, not exactly the order in which they are meant to be read. I've tried googling for a list, but this story keeps fucking bouncing all over the place, or maybe its just strung together poorly..

• 3 weeks later...

I just remembered this, while making a rare stop at another forum.

Any readers of Young Liars will love this.

Anyone who tries out Young Liars and sends it to me with a SASE will have the comic returned signed (personalized or not) along with a headshot sketch of any character you choose. Could be a Young Liars character, Stray Bullets character, Your favorite Valiant character, etc.

If anyone's willing to risk sending me a Valiant comic I can sign those, too, but other than promising not to rip, fold, or crumple your comic personally and packing it back in your mailer, I can't take any other responsibility for what the good folks at the PO might do to it. So be careful.

Spread the word on this. I'll do this for anyone who tries out YL.

Send all comics to:

David Lapham

P.O. Box 3911

Glendale, CA 91221-0911

I have the following atm:

Living Hell, The Haunted Knight, Switch, The Long Halloween, The Man Who Laughs, Batman Vampire Trilogy, and the Jokers Asylum

Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth

Batman - Gotham by gaslight

Batman - In Darkest Knight

Batman - Journey into Knight

Batman - Nine Lives

Batman - No Man's Land

Batman - Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul

Batman - The Cult

Batman - Year One

Batman Adventures - Harley and Ivy

Detective comics 469-476 (Steve Englehart)

The Batman of Arkham

PM me soon if u need any.

• 2 weeks later...

heads up for anyone interested in The 'Nam

this is on eBay right now. It's a complete set 1-84 selling for 140 usd. ffs, one can spend that much tracking down the last ten issues alone. It's also the guy's last set. He's sold several with good feedback.

I bought one, but this is not my sale. Please delete if this is bad form.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Nam-Complete-NM-Set-1-84_W0QQitemZ250290259005QQihZ015QQcategoryZ77QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• 2 weeks later...

bump for recommendations on graphic novels / dope story arcs.

I'm going to finish Preacher soon, then I have The Incal that mass recommended and then Whiteout, but what.cd freeleech is coming soon so I figured it wouldnt hurt to stock up.

^Shadow King story arc from Uncanny X-men circa '92-'94 me thinks. Good stuff goin on in there. Don't have details, but it was definitely good. Maybe get X-tinction Agenda or the original Wolverine series (origin series). I dunno if X-men is your thing, but those were all some down ass shit.

thenewscumtpbyf6.jpg

Just finished this one, got to wait until next week to get my co-worker to bring in the next issue pack.

Anybody else read Transmetropolitan? I was very skeptical at first but the more I read of it the more obsessed I've become, and its for sure my favorite now.

Crazy late pass for me on this, but hell yeah. I've fallen behind on comics, but I really liked Transmet and have been a big Ellis fan for years... I even designed and maintained his website for a year or two in the late 90s-early 00s.

Have you checked out Planetary or his run on The Authority?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...