denim update....apc and nudie pics

M.O.A

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Does anyone have any theories as to what would happen if I burried a pair of APCs in my backyard for a month or two?

--- Original message by 134 on Oct 13, 2005 07:38 PM

it's denim, not kimchi.

-k

Quote:

If I copped a pair of Dry denim, and didn't want them to fade and show wear, could I prevent this by washing them first thing?

--- Original message by Francis Begbie on Oct 17, 2005 09:04 PM

lol

Funny question because i think the reason jeans are so popular and always will be is because they fade. However, is it the stiffness you want to retain or the colour? Cause stiffness will be lost after a couple of washes, colour too will fade after washing.

Washing once will not stop process as wear and tear are also major factors in fading. All it will do is lessen the fading caused by creasing, but creasing still appears on my jeans after four washes...

Indigo is really not a good dyestuff on paper. One of the most important discriminating factors in dyeing is its colorfastness... and indigo is not colorfast at all. But it is this gradual fading of jeans that makes them so special.

Similar to pigment dyed shirts, the wearing and aging makes the garment more beautiful. I remember reading something Nudie wrote that denim and leather are two garments that age naturally. I think they are right.

however, i don't look good in leather pants...

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

Quote:

I also have a question johninger.....how's many dips does the brand you were advocating for have? I'm interested in Imperial denim, their stuff seems pretty nice. Any idea if they're being sold in the US?

Edited by Phrost3 on Oct 17, 2005 at 08:24 PM

--- Original message by Phrost3 on Oct 17, 2005 08:23 PM

Phrost I am not advocating the brand anymore, although i still do love them.

When i first joined i thought it was the done thing to let people know some unknown brands that might be of interest. I have appeared to offended some so I am actively trying to not mention them. Its funny though if you read through other peoples posts they actively mention other brands a lot more than i ever did.

Re your question and the unnamed brand. Their denim is very nice, is sulfur topped im not sure how many times they dip but it feels and is finished very much like a kaihara denim (selvage, yarn quality etc). The only bleeding I have experienced was onto my white canvas shoes where water was always getting into.

So judging by that and after one wash them being darker than my edwins, i would hazard a guess at perhaps 10-14, they have beige fillings and sulfur topping so this makes it harder to judge.

No the weft may pick up some colour but to cure indigo into weft would take a lot of effort and is not feasible in a home washing machine.

I think the point people make is that sometimes the indigo is so concentrated it looks black, after one wash the blue become less concentrated and looks bluer (sic).

Thanks Johninger, excellent info thanks! It's lucky for us all that indigo is not a stable pigment huh, or we wouldn't have all these beautifully worn Jeans. Are you still in the textile business? My step father studied textiles in Gelong and I have all his old books in my garage, I should really dig them out and have a read. I studied a little about fabric construction etc at college, but not dyeing in this depth. Cheers man

Edited by andewhall on Oct 18, 2005 at 02:00 AM

Quote:

how did you get such clear definition with teh brass knuckles? anything special done to them? also, all your guys' APCs look so bluue, is that wahts gonna happen with my rescues?

Edited by psyiko on Oct 18, 2005 at 12:28 PM

--- Original message by psyiko on Oct 18, 2005 12:26 PM

theyre very hard and defined so having them in your pocket for a month will show alot.

also, i think most of the bluenesss is how the flashes are reacting. i havent seen any true blue APCs that havent been in like 6 hot washes.