supermeatheads

kunk75

So charly is my form ok? I managed to work up to a 140x5 on the same day. been pulling like this for 2 years.

There are some days where my back is flat, but that's after some rest /mobility work. was pulling right after heavy front squats and push press...

cool stuf bro^

judging by ur c&j, youre on the right track with having all the basics

there's a lot you can work on, but first i'd suggest you start with hang clean* with a HEAVIER weight ,so ur 2nd and 3rd pull gets better. i say HEAVIER weight cuz it will force you to learn speed and timing which a light bar wont.

atm the ending of ur 2nd pull is a little too vertical and you've got some air time with ur feet, suggesting you havnt finished full hip extension etc.

here's a photo of a lifter who has a really exaggerated triple extension (in the snacth) that ends up with his torso leaning way back

wu2006.jpg

not all lifters stray away from the vertical to that degree, but there is always a 'flinging back of the torso component'

ur jerk aint bad too, but i suggest a shorter dip and a much faster drive. jerks have to have the same conviction as the 2nd pull: fast, powerful etc. it's not clear on the vids, but if ur pinky is sticking out in the rack position, unlike the rest of ur fingers, there might be a chance where you'd catch the bar with the pinky on the wrong side of the bar (ouch). it's always good to make sure the bar is deep between ur index and thumb. having a full grip on the bar in the rack position isnt necessary, but if u want to recruit the arms more in the jerk, as it leaves ur shoulders after u drive with the lower body, it's a good idea (see klokov jerk).

*dont worry about hang power cleans, you got good flexibility. land in an atg squat and you'll learn the bounce while you're a it too.

edit: just saw ur 133pounds and the clean its a lot better than the loewr weights. some of the stuff i've said applies to the dude cleaning behind u too. also, adding to my jerk suggestions, it's almost looking like you're dooing pause jerks ( a good exercise in itself since it doesnt allow bar/body bounce) but i'm quite sure you're not aiming to do them yet.

Edited by roundhouse

I am curious to get the thread's advice concerning the combination of machines/lifting with long distance running. While running cross country in high school, I never lifted weights or used machines until my junior year. I was always slight of build (currently 5' 10", 145 lb.) and most of the exercises that I learned were to strengthen my core with chest, shoulders, and arms being mostly an after thought. The opinion of my coaches at this time would be than it is unnecessary. Certainly I see few successful long distance runners who have extra weight hanging around.

However, I am also interested in rock climbing. My first few experiences made it painfully obvious that it uses specific upper body muscle that I simply have not developed enough to enjoy it for an extended period of time.

With this in mind, I'd like to develop a workout plan in conjunction with a nutritional plan to accommodate the increased activity. Some reading has advised me to eat whatever I want so long as I consume more food, but I have always been a mindful eater. When I was learning the basics of using weight machines in college and working out 4-5 times a week I would generally eat hard boiled eggs and plain oatmeal in the morning with fresh fruit and milk, chef salad for lunch, pizza and salad in the afternoon sometimes, often pasta of some sort for dinner with veggies and fruit, and finally almonds and bagels for snacks in the evening.

Any advice is appreciated!

Pick one. Long distance or rock climbing, then stick with it.

You can cross train, but it will generally improve your climbing ability while decreasing your long distance efficiency (because you need to put on extra muscle to climb better = worse for long distance).

As for diet, when you train harder, get in more clean protein and carbs. Buy some whey, it's great post-workout since your body is at its optimal nutrient absorbing stage.

You will be much better off (if you plan on climbing more often) to do more pullups, lower back movements (like DLs!) and core work like hanging leg raises and throwing in running x2 a week. All the climbers I know do tons of pullups and core. They also don't use machines, but mostly bodyweight movements because that makes more sense for their sport.

Sounds good, I'm aiming for a 85kg clean this wed, previous best was 80kg @ 10 weeks ago. Should be ok since 90kg front squat was a easy single on Friday

From my experience I've had a hard time getting consistent with hitting cleans when I passed 135 lbs, the power comes and goes for some reason. My other lifts have been dropping because of my cut so I was surpised when I did 155 the other day.

Good luck! I feel like a lot of it is mental too especially if you're in uncharted territory, so keep a good mindset for the day and you'll get it.

i think your best clean is supposed to be your 3rm for front squat?

i think making that attempt would scare me shitless (no bumper plates atm so can't drop the bar). one time i was doing 140 i lost balance and almost fell onto this kid who thought it would be a good idea to walk in front of me in the middle of my set. lower back hurt for days

I've been doing a modified "Starting Strength" workout for a few months now. I keep hearing mixed things about women lifting heavy with low reps - especially from trainers at the gym who are convinced I'm going to look like mrchariybrown soon if I keep it up - but the general consensus seems to be that it's a good way to get toned and that it's nearly impossible for a girl to get really bulky. Yes? No?

Here's what I've been up to - please feel free to comment on whether I should change some things up.

4/22/13

Workout A

Warm-up run: 0.5 miles, 3:29

Squat: 45x5x2 65x5 85x5 95x5x3

Bench Press: 45x5 65x5 75x5

Deadlift: 45x5 65x5 115x5 135x5

Dumbbell Rows: 35x5 45x5 55x5x3 (this is supposed to be decline bench press but some asshole didn’t clear his weights off the bar so I did this instead)

4/23/13

Workout B

Warm-up run: 0.5 miles, 3:40 min

Squat: 45x5 65x5 95x5x3

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 15x5 20x5 25x5x3 27.5x5

Dumbbell Rows: 45x5 55x5 60x5x3 65x5

Assisted Pull-Ups: 12x5 10x5x2

Deadlift: 45x5 65x5 95x5x2 115x5x2

Straight-leg Deadlift: 45x5

Inclined Leg Press: 90x5 180x5 270x5x5

Also - is it rude or weird to ask strangers to spot you while bench pressing? I feel like I could handle more weight if I weren't afraid of getting pinned/dying, but none of my friends belong to my gym.

Edited by merry burger

It's fine to ask people to spot you, just make sure they're not sweaty, or they'll sweat on you.

anyone have some quick vids or reference materials for oly lifts? I want to start doing them. I only do deadlifts and want to do more.

lol gripped the bar wrong and ripped off my callous last time i dl.

Edited by wahwho11

Tbh, everyone's oly lifting style will be different based on body variations, so the best way is to get a certified coach.

Having said that, tnation and glenn pendlay's videos on youtube are a good starting point.

Also, girls should lift because they will never get that bulky. Getting that toned look is more a function of diet though.

Also, merry you lifting too much for a beginer. Just stick to 3 workouts per week with 1-2 day rest in between, follow Rippletoe SS or 5x5 template.

Also, tbh, for males, once you get the form right, SS or 5x5 is terrible for aesthetics. Do more upper body (unless you looking to compete in lifting/sports). Most aesthetic now that I doing a upper/lower/upper/lower 4 day routine.

Edited by DJ_Flame

^in regards to aesthetics, what do ya recommend for fast twitch muscle groups (abs/forearms/calves)?

It's fine to ask people to spot you, just make sure they're not sweaty, or they'll sweat on you.

anyone have some quick vids or reference materials for oly lifts? I want to start doing them. I only do deadlifts and want to do more.

lol gripped the bar wrong and ripped off my callous last time i dl.

glenn pendlay's forum is good, judgin by the few times ive skimmed through. his youtube channel is california strength; i think they posted up a decent clean or snatch tutorial (simple to follow and they start you off with the main points of the lifts, rather than nuances)

http://www.catalystathletics.com/articles/article.php?articleID=129 checkout this article. highly recommended. other articles/blog entries from that site are good too.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles.html for denser stuff. recommended if you want to be at the nerd lvl.

i'd stay away from most crossfit stuff, though you might find something of value if you look hard enough.

most males above their early teens have a lot of difficulty with flexibility, so that might be a place where you'd be stuck at for a while.otherwise i'd say start with hang power cleans and see where you go from there.

I've been doing a modified "Starting Strength" workout for a few months now. I keep hearing mixed things about women lifting heavy with low reps - especially from trainers at the gym who are convinced I'm going to look like mrchariybrown soon if I keep it up - but the general consensus seems to be that it's a good way to get toned and that it's nearly impossible for a girl to get really bulky. Yes? No?

Here's what I've been up to - please feel free to comment on whether I should change some things up.

4/22/13

Workout A

Warm-up run: 0.5 miles, 3:29

Squat: 45x5x2 65x5 85x5 95x5x3

Bench Press: 45x5 65x5 75x5

Deadlift: 45x5 65x5 115x5 135x5

Dumbbell Rows: 35x5 45x5 55x5x3 (this is supposed to be decline bench press but some asshole didn’t clear his weights off the bar so I did this instead)

4/23/13

Workout B

Warm-up run: 0.5 miles, 3:40 min

Squat: 45x5 65x5 95x5x3

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 15x5 20x5 25x5x3 27.5x5

Dumbbell Rows: 45x5 55x5 60x5x3 65x5

Assisted Pull-Ups: 12x5 10x5x2

Deadlift: 45x5 65x5 95x5x2 115x5x2

Straight-leg Deadlift: 45x5

Inclined Leg Press: 90x5 180x5 270x5x5

Also - is it rude or weird to ask strangers to spot you while bench pressing? I feel like I could handle more weight if I weren't afraid of getting pinned/dying, but none of my friends belong to my gym.

Too much volume/frequency. FB chat me later.

Anyways, if by looking like mrchariybrown, you mean looking "sexy".. then yes, lifting heavy will make you look like me.

^in regards to aesthetics, what do ya recommend for fast twitch muscle groups (abs/forearms/calves)?

I don't do forearms.

Calves get hit from squats, GHRs and sprints.

Abs are just twice a week. 3 supersets of 1 anti flexion/extension and 1 anti-rotation. I like ab wheels, hanging leg raises, pallof presses, landmines and woodchoppers. Hoping to progress so I can do blast straps fallouts and pikes.

Edited by DJ_Flame

how do you guys feel about using stretch reflex/bounce at the bottom of high bar a2g squats?

also note the butt wink in these videos - is this acceptable for high bar a2g purposes? 3rd rep of 246kgx3 did look quite butt wink-y. (obviously not my videos)

Edited by usher

how do my squats look? i feel like i need to go lower. also, i didn't realize how much i fidget.

Tbh quite dismal form:

- not breaking parallel

- knees caving in

- lack of core tightness and stability = lots of fidgeting

- and the most obvious = your hips are rising before your chest/shoulders.

I would suggest taking the weight down and hammering on form.

A better way to squat:

see how his hips and shoulders are rising @ same time, plus he goes low enough that the top of his thigh is parallel to the floor (thats breaking parallel). Check 4:55 to see what kind of depth you should try to achieve.

Although 275lbs on your first few tries is quite impressive (i assume you have not squatted much in the past). I can do the same weight but only 1 rep (oly back squat style).

Edited by DJ_Flame