supermeatheads

kunk75

I've been doing starting strength for about 4 months right now, today I did this

Squat: 250x3x5

Bench: 150x3x5

Deadlift: 300x5

Sorta kinda feeling myself for getting my deadlift above 300. Not that much though, I've seen some of the numbers in this thread... Bench has been stuck at 150 for like a month, I think I need to start eating/sleeping more.

Edited by travisio

Nice work. With a 300+ DL, it's only time before you get that bench up well over 200. Obviously it's upper vs lower body, but DL recruits about all of your muscles. Keep hacking away.

Quick update on my squatting:

A while ago I said that I was going to squat every day 80-90% of 1RM. I'm still doing it and the results are pretty good. I don't absolutely have to go up in weight every time, but I try to keep in a +/- 10lb band. I started off finishing w/ a single at 340. Now I'm finishing my single at about 375. On a regular squat day (I did 8-6-4-2), I went up to 385, failing on the 2nd rep. My knees feel decent still, and I'm focusing on form (keeping that back up and down instead of leaning fwd). I think it's translating into other stuff I do (like Crossfit workouts). I have a lot more energy now (or at least my confidence is up).

You don't have to squat every day like me, but make sure you do it....often.

Nice work. With a 400+ DL, it's only time before you get that bench up well over 200. Obviously it's upper vs lower body, but DL recruits about all of your muscles. Keep hacking away.

Fixed.

Most people starting out doing all three lifts together will usually reach a 200 bench around a 400 DL.

It's only those that have been only benching and curling prior to ACTUALLY lifting (or have really short arms) that will have a 200 bench before a 400 deadlift.

If anything, with all three of his lifts, his squat and deadlift are lagging and his bench is his strong point.

Mm...I disagree. Granted, I have shorter arms, but I was benching 300 when my DL was around 375.

200lb bench isn't that hard.

But actually, I didn't realize it said 150 for 3 x 5. Right there's probably a 185+ 1RM. So he's probably in about the right spot.

And also, body weight is usually a factor.

Mm...I disagree. Granted, I have shorter arms, but I was benching 300 when my DL was around 375.

200lb bench isn't that hard.

But actually, I didn't realize it said 150 for 3 x 5. Right there's probably a 185+ 1RM. So he's probably in about the right spot.

And also, body weight is usually a factor.

Any knowledgeable powerlifter would agree, a 375 deadlift to a 300 bench is very skewed. Sorry to have to break it to you but you either strong bench compared to the deadlift due to your short arms (which makes sense) or a very weak deadlift.

Hell, even a 450 deadlift is pretty skewed to a 300 bench.

A 300 bench, 400 squat, and 500 deadlift is pretty well rounded for the average-length-limbed-guy. And I say "pretty well" rounded. I still think 300 is a touch high for those numbers.

Body weight is usually a factor for a lift but a factor in all three (squat, bench, deadlift), so a non-factor if you're comparing the numbers to one another.

Edited by mrchariybrown

Well I definitely did more benching than squatting/dl in high school (the numbers I referenced).

In competition a few years back (at peak) I benched 335 and DL'ed 455, so those are more "normal" numbers.

My main point was that 200 is pretty attainable. How many kids in high school bench 200 vs. DL 400+?

Is 525/350/575 your combo? What's your height/weight? I feel like I've asked you before, but this thread is years old now.

thanks for your insights, guys! it's good to know that i'm progressing at least somewhat normally. i'm not really stressing out over the number itself (although it would feel badass to be benching 2 plates) so much as the fact that i've been stalled at ~150 for over a month while deadlift/squat have been going up. i had to go on a few week-long trips and work (and general laziness) has held me to sometimes only getting in the gym twice a week; i'm sure neither of those factors is helping my case. regardless, i'm focusing on eating/sleeping more... not a bad new year's resolution.

Well I definitely did more benching than squatting/dl in high school (the numbers I referenced).

In competition a few years back (at peak) I benched 335 and DL'ed 455, so those are more "normal" numbers.

My main point was that 200 is pretty attainable. How many kids in high school bench 200 vs. DL 400+?

Is 525/350/575 your combo? What's your height/weight? I feel like I've asked you before, but this thread is years old now.

I do agree that 335 and 455 are definitely more "normal."

And yes, I agree with the point you were trying to make.

I compete in the 198's. It's my projected combo right now. I hit 500/310/550 about 8 months ago at my last comp.

Right now I'm probably good for 525/350/575 with a progressive overload judging from my previous numbers.

I'm hoping to hit 550-570/350-365/600-626 on May 18th though. Wish me luck!

Yeah for sure man. That's awesome.

My tri's are still generally strong since I've stopped powerlifting, but my bench has fallen off quite a bit. How do you structure chest days? I recall that I did tri/delt stuff Tuesdays and Friday was bench/back (or something to that effect).

Yeah for sure man. That's awesome.

My tri's are still generally strong since I've stopped powerlifting, but my bench has fallen off quite a bit. How do you structure chest days? I recall that I did tri/delt stuff Tuesdays and Friday was bench/back (or something to that effect).

Pretty close.

Monday - Bench day

- Full range bench - Paused bench

- Full range bench accessory - either suspended band bench presses or rep out with 225

- Speed bench

- Flies

- Few sets of light shoulders

Thursday - Bench lockout day

- Pin presses - anywhere from 3-6 inches from lockout depending on where I'm having an issue

- Floor presses

- Heavy tricep movements

Edited by mrchariybrown

I think there are mixed opinions about starting strength on this thread. I've been doing it for about 4 months and I think it's great. I really like the simplicity of it too.

Do you guys use belts? Do you use them for all of your sets or just the work set?

I've been putting off wearing a belt for as long as possible (I don't like to depend on "accessories") but about a week ago my back felt terrible after squats. I could barely bend at all for a good 5 minutes. I took a few days off and put the belt on for my work sets today. Squatted 275 and pulled 310 no problem (both are pr's for me). Everything felt a lot more solid.

Edited by travisio

- Don't use a belt until your dl / squat is above 3 plates. A belt makes it easier, but it also leaves out the strengthening work for the core (hips, lumbar, abs) that heavy barbell work provides.Gloves are even dumber. Embrace calluses brah. No excuse.

- For beginers, 3 days a week with heavy compound barbell lifts are enough. I have been lifting for over a year, still falling back onto the 3 day / week program. Just get starting strength, its a great program. Most of us are still in the beginer-intermediate stage, i really recommend SS, or SS for advanced novices, until you're comfortably handling 310x5 in the squat/dl and 220 in the benh.

Edited by DJ_Flame

I wear a belt in squat if I'm going over 335. DL about the same.

I wear wrist wraps (around the wrist, not the bar) for about 225 and up bench and 200+ clean.

While belts inhibit stabilizer muscles, wrist wraps aren't really inhibiting wrist/forearm strength that much (I think). So they're fine about any time.

If you're really new to lifting, I second the 3x/week compound lift method. Maybe bench and squat Mon/Fri and Clean/DL on Wed. That's what our high school routine was. Go until you plateau and then get serious about being strong.

Hit a PR with my deadlifts last night; 315x1.

Feels good man. I got the shakes going up but with a bellowing grunt I managed to lock it.

The spasms during deadlifts are the best.

I only get them at competitions on my final deadlift attempts. Such a rush of adrenaline.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a downside to not benching very often? right now i rotate between doing squat/front squat, DL, power clean and clean and press. i am up to the following:

DL: 295 x 5

Squat: 225 x 5

PC/C&P: 155 x 5

I've just started to improve my squat as it was severely lacking before. I usually warm up with kettlebell workouts with a 45 lb kettlebell doing:

Snatches x 50

Swings x 50

Clean and Press x 50

Any rec's to improve my workout?

been lifting weights for the last 2 months and making some considerable progress from where i started but haven't put on any muscle weight it seems, or look very much different. maybe i've burned fat i didn't know i had and replaced that with muscle, though that doesn't seem likely because i'm a skinny distance runner. only have an all-in-one home gym thing to work with at the moment, so i can't really do dead lifts or squats.

^ Internal rotation bro. IMO, a good bench is built more on tri and delts so doing presses will help your bench.

I bench x2, push press x1, both numbers are slowly but steadily increasing.

managed full ROM (bar touching chest) bench for 70kg x 7 on monday @ bw of 72kg, 1.79m...pet peeve is when people claim they bench 80+++ kg with 1/2 rom.