supermeatheads

kunk75

what the big bros said. the path to strength lies in deadlifts and squats~

if you insist on doing bicep curls they should be the last thing you do in your workout, after core work.

Exactly.

I gauge my squat and deadlift days' success by if I do biceps at the end. If I have energy left to do curls then I didn't do hard enough.

I probably do about 2-4 sets of curls in a month.

I don't remember the last time I did a curl workout but I'll tell you what: I can do 20 strict pullups in a row or 47 kipping ones (the flailing crossfit way, I know Knuck. haha).

Either way, my biceps are still normal enough size. Biceps are only really good if you're a wrestler. That's pretty much all I can think of.

The basic idea is to do exercises that use as many muscle groups as possible. That will promote sustained muscle growth.

Well I cannot do deadlifts due to a back injury, but should be able to do squats fine.

should I be doing regular squats or variations? Because if i'm not wrong, squats focus on my lower body right? Once January comes around I'll probably be working out around my trainings, which basically consists of three hours of sprinting with a stick...

So I should Take out bicep curls and sub with more pullups(variations of?)/pulldowns and Squats, amiright?

Do you guys generally have a fixed routine you follow every workout or do you have it in your head and adjust for the day? I thought it was a good idea to jot everything down to track progress and fix my workouts...

Thanks for the help guys

Anybody here ever deal with tendonitis?

I've been dealing with it for a couple of months, but it hasn't been acting up as of late, since I've been lifting with moderate weight and haven't tried to over exert any of my lifts. But the pain came in hardcore suddenly two days ago, and I've been ice/heat/ibuprofen treating it since. Today is (supposed to be) chest/tri day, but I'm considering holding off for a week or more, and just focus on carb cyling, because I'm currently bulking and have had steady gains. I don't feel any strain if I do push ups, so I'm thinking if I ice/ibuprofen it until workout hour, I should be ok to just do a few sets of benchpress, just to get them in for the week.

Well I cannot do deadlifts due to a back injury, but should be able to do squats fine.

should I be doing regular squats or variations? Because if i'm not wrong, squats focus on my lower body right? Once January comes around I'll probably be working out around my trainings, which basically consists of three hours of sprinting with a stick...

So I should Take out bicep curls and sub with more pullups(variations of?)/pulldowns and Squats, amiright?

Do you guys generally have a fixed routine you follow every workout or do you have it in your head and adjust for the day? I thought it was a good idea to jot everything down to track progress and fix my workouts...

Thanks for the help guys

OK. If you can't do deadlifts, I guess that's fine. I really imagine that the case is that your form has been bad, but you could possibly do the bar. In general, deadlifts are just going down and picking up objects safely, right?

Squats are mostly hamstring and butt, but you use a lot stabilizers in the process.

I used to have a really set regimen, but now I kind of go on feel. This comes with experience. For your height/weight, I suggest straight sets at first (like 3 x 8 or 3 x 10) for movements like bench, squat, and shoulder press. Having someone teach you Olympic lifts (clean & Jerk or snatch) could also be helpful. Until you gain a good amt more weight, I suggest to ease off of some isolation movements.

Anybody here ever deal with tendonitis?

I've been dealing with it for a couple of months, but it hasn't been acting up as of late, since I've been lifting with moderate weight and haven't tried to over exert any of my lifts. But the pain came in hardcore suddenly two days ago, and I've been ice/heat/ibuprofen treating it since. Today is (supposed to be) chest/tri day, but I'm considering holding off for a week or more, and just focus on carb cyling, because I'm currently bulking and have had steady gains. I don't feel any strain if I do push ups, so I'm thinking if I ice/ibuprofen it until workout hour, I should be ok to just do a few sets of benchpress, just to get them in for the week.

I had mild tendonitis in my elbow a few years back. It was from doing DB bench while lying on the ground. When it started to hurt, I backed off and rolled the tendon on a lacrosse ball. That's the best advice I can give.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden by t3hcoke, January 6, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by t3hcoke, January 6, 2012 - No reason given

curious as to what a barbell, set of weights and power cage should cost. Anyone?

also wtf is the warrior diet exactly?

Edited by t3hcoke

i have same mentality as you but had to add some biceps to my work outs because i needed arm bar defense. was a funny feeling to realize my biceps were a weak point. previously all bicep work came from compound pull movements only.

How to get lean but shredded thighs besides cardio?

I'm doing squats and lunges, my quickness and vertical leap has been improving during pickup ball and I've been cardio-ing & running 5/10k well but still got little bit of flab on my inner thighs. I find it even harder to lose fat here than my lower abs.

My workouts -

Cardio (sprints + steady state zone cardio): 4-5 / week

Squats, leg press, lunges etc: 2-3 / week.

Edited by DJ_Flame

^5-10k isn't really long distance, and I do mix it up with stair sprints, track sprints, HIIT, etc.

I'm just skinny but with some muscles (5'10, 155). Wide shoulders, large chest, narrow waist, but on the scrawny side. 6 pack and hip bones are starting to show, biceps and shoulder veins are coming out, 12-13% bf measured last month. Just need to lose more body fat % but my inner thighs are bothering me.

Edited by DJ_Flame

How to get lean but shredded thighs besides cardio?

I'm doing squats and lunges, my quickness and vertical leap has been improving during pickup ball and I've been cardio-ing & running 5/10k well but still got little bit of flab on my inner thighs. I find it even harder to lose fat here than my lower abs.

My workouts -

Cardio (sprints + steady state zone cardio): 4-5 / week

Squats, leg press, lunges etc: 2-3 / week.

cant spot burn fat. to lean out you have to cut cals

As a small update on my back issues:

I've been doing really controlled deadlifts (3 sets of 3 with slow negative). I started out at 95 lbs and moved up. Now at 225 and feeling stronger. The doctor said that the hope is my muscles get really strong and close the fissure in my disc so it can scar over and heal. I feel like the progress has been good thus far. hopefully it works out.

Thought this was sorta interesting...

I posted a WAYWT picture on styleforum asking if these pro keds were O.K, what I got back was an interesting argument if I looked fine or needed to "cut"; I was actually surprised some people were defending me since so many people on styleforums are rail skinny.

IMG_2183.jpg

I admit the shirt looks tight in the picture but that is mostly because I have been doing yoga and my shoulders posture is WAY better now when I'm just standing up and still, shoulders down and back with chest and stomach out. When I am moving around the t-shirt looks fine.

Anyways, what I'm asking is I shouldn't even be thinking about cutting until I reach my weight goal right? I am an extremely hard gainer and it's taken an insane amount of lifting/eating/sleeping to get where I am now. Luckily I have a good friend who is certified by the NSCA who has been helping me out. He once told me that skinny people like me always want to gain weight but a very small percent of them actually get big and end up spinning their wheels in the gym for years because they are scared to gain a bit of body fat and that I will have to accept the fact that I will gain weight whereever my body genetically stores weight (chest/hips). Right now I'm doing a 5/3/1 program, started 4 months back at 145lbs and I'm now 162lbs. I said my target goal weight was 170lbs then I would maintain that weight and start cutting body fat. I think 170lbs is a good weight for someone with my bone structure and 5'7.

thanks. Basically i want to have a inner thigh gap, which I never had before in my life. Is this possible?

FWIW, I've only heard super skinny (borderline skeletal) girls say this or wish for this. If you're vascular and still want to cut more, look into carb cycling or reading UD2.

you dudes are straight up gay if you are working out to get that vag gap.

yeah i know we all work out hard to get the aesthetics and wear the clothes for better fit.

but seriously if you talking about that gap at this stage, it's game over.

shit don't even make sense.

and coldsnap, i can't believe you still feeling the heat after posting that photo.

keep doing your shit and quit tripping. i wish i looked like that, and then start cutting.

too bad i'm a thin asian dude like every other poster here.

edit:

for that gap, perhaps you should get into cross fit (5)

http://2fit-2quit.tumblr.com/#2

Edited by gettoasty

After lifting consistently, and increasing the weight consistently, for the past 4 months, I've noticed that for the past 2 weeks, I've had some crazy dizzy spells during and after my deadlift sets. Now, I know dizziness when doing heavy deadlifts is common due to the nature of the exercise, but to get dizzy even during a warm up set and starting only 2 weeks ago? Something seems wrong.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

After lifting consistently, and increasing the weight consistently, for the past 4 months, I've noticed that for the past 2 weeks, I've had some crazy dizzy spells during and after my deadlift sets. Now, I know dizziness when doing heavy deadlifts is common due to the nature of the exercise, but to get dizzy even during a warm up set and starting only 2 weeks ago? Something seems wrong.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

I haven't had anything in warmups before. Make sure to drink a lot of water and be careful dude. If it persists, I think you should get checked out.

I, trying to figure out how to get back in shape. I have a herniated disc in my lower back and My doctor says I can't lift over 10 pounds, run, or really do most workouts, what are some low stress things I can do?

body weight squats

pushups

planks

(bodyweight anything at low impact)