supermeatheads

kunk75

First time doing front squats last night and also the first time getting ATG on the squats for 65kg. Got so much lower than back squats it's amazing. Also, first time doing the prescribed weight on a WOD at crossfit. 40kg thrusters, then burpee box jumps. 12 minute ladder (2,4,6,8...) for as many reps as you can. Managed to get up to 12 reps.

What about strength imbalances in the legs/hips/posterior?

I think I have this. I am right handed and kick with my left leg, but I feel like my right leg is stronger for squat/leg press/step up/whatever (not sure of this yet). You guys reckon lunges/single leg presses are gonna do anything??

I also notice in my deadlift that the bar ends up veering to the left by the end of a set (this is a pain in the ass if I'm pulling inside my gym's squat rack (like this one), but I have no real way of noticing if I'm not inside a rack) - not sure if this is attributed to a weaker left arm, leg, or both.

Split squats, pistol squats, single leg presses and single leg hip thrusts have worked well for me, I do 3-4 x 8-10 of 2 of the above after squats.

Imbalances are hard to iron out imo, been training for 8 months, still have a slight dominance in my right leg for squats.

Just keep squatting heavy and you will be fine.

Edited by DJ_Flame

having a dominant arm/leg by a little bit is pretty normal. One-legged moves like extensions, lunges, and curls are fine. But yeah, just load up on squats/DLs

Just started squatting a lot again. Planned on 8-5-3-1 today. My 1 was 360, but decided to do 2 of those. Felt good.

this may be a dumb question

but how do you know when to 'stop' deadlifting--though this question is likely applicable for any lift--for the day? e.g., on friday i did my planned 1 x 5 at 275--i've been steadily and consistently increasing my DL weight since I started lifting this fall--but i felt like i could do more. i guess it helped that i was working out with guys who were lifting ~500, but they thought i could easily do more too so i tried to do one rep at 315. i did it and thought i could go even higher, but i decided not to. should i have? i guess my question is: should i continue to increase my set of 5 consistently, i.e. next monday or whatever-day-i-deadlift-next i would do 1 x 5 @ 285, the next at 295, &c., or should i just basically lift as heavy as i can with less regard for reps/sets and focus more on lifting til i die?

Edited by tombrown

What about strength imbalances in the legs/hips/posterior?

I think I have this. I am right handed and kick with my left leg, but I feel like my right leg is stronger for squat/leg press/step up/whatever (not sure of this yet). You guys reckon lunges/single leg presses are gonna do anything??

I also notice in my deadlift that the bar ends up veering to the left by the end of a set (this is a pain in the ass if I'm pulling inside my gym's squat rack (like this one), but I have no real way of noticing if I'm not inside a rack) - not sure if this is attributed to a weaker left arm, leg, or both.

why do you pull inside a squat rack?

copped these for $60. been wanting to try out lifting shoes for so long

Adidas+Power+Perfect+II+Weightlifting+Shoe.JPG

can't wait for them to arrive :3

the discount is still going on and sizes are still available so let me know so i can hook u up (note: i think this is only for canada)

Edited by wrong_move

this may be a dumb question

but how do you know when to 'stop' deadlifting--though this question is likely applicable for any lift--for the day? e.g., on friday i did my planned 1 x 5 at 275--i've been steadily and consistently increasing my DL weight since I started lifting this fall--but i felt like i could do more. i guess it helped that i was working out with guys who were lifting ~500, but they thought i could easily do more too so i tried to do one rep at 315. i did it and thought i could go even higher, but i decided not to. should i have? i guess my question is: should i continue to increase my set of 5 consistently, i.e. next monday or whatever-day-i-deadlift-next i would do 1 x 5 @ 285, the next at 295, &c., or should i just basically lift as heavy as i can with less regard for reps/sets and focus more on lifting til i die?

Take advantage of the weight increases every week. They won't be there forever.

That said, stopping early within a daily workout is almost never a bad thing. A lot of the time, it leaves you wanting more, and you'll be more confident the next week.

By 1 x 5, are you saying 1 set of 5 or 5 sets of 1 (typically, it's Sets x Reps)?

Take advantage of the weight increases every week. They won't be there forever.

That said, stopping early within a daily workout is almost never a bad thing. A lot of the time, it leaves you wanting more, and you'll be more confident the next week.

By 1 x 5, are you saying 1 set of 5 or 5 sets of 1 (typically, it's Sets x Reps)?

Thanks. Typically I do 1 set of 5. Last week I felt like I could do more after my set of 5 so I tried to do a '1RM' at 315. I'll continue on with my program--it's worked so far

copped these for $60. been wanting to try out lifting shoes for so long

Adidas+Power+Perfect+II+Weightlifting+Shoe.JPG

can't wait for them to arrive :3

the discount is still going on and sizes are still available so let me know so i can hook u up (note: i think this is only for canada)

fuck i just spent $60 on whey (lol) otherwise i'd be all over those. still haven't gone to the gym in town with bumper plates yet, though haha

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a link to a good diet that helps on building a lean body? I'm not going for bulk and am fairly fit already, just needing a diet to push me through.

intermittent fasting or carb nite.

Basically its fasting from morning till lunch, eat a small protein / no carb meal, then work out around 3-7pm, then eat all your calories post workout. until 9-10pm. repeat cycle

Carb nite is the same, except carb intake only every 5-7 days.

I'm on carb nite right now, 10% @ 72 kg, 1.79m with 100kg squat. pretty good for my frame.

it works b/c you are adapting your body to rely on fats instead of carbs for sustenance, hence your bf will drop.

anyone here do plyometrics/speed routines? how do you go about doing them while keeping up a strength routine (i.e. a daily or weekly split). or is it recommended to stick to one or the other for a few weeks

Hey man, i tried a morning cardio / evening lift over the summer. It was good but I burned out due to the volume.

Right now I'm doing just 2 days Sprints and 4 days lifting per week, but my lifting session are quite short, 2 days bench 2 days squat, then 2 assistance movements then pullups.

If you want to incorporate plyo/speed into weights, its possible but

- eat more

- rest more

- continue to lift heavy but cut down the volume...e.g go from 5x5 to 3x5 etc

Edited by DJ_Flame

Does anyone have a link to a good diet that helps on building a lean body? I'm not going for bulk and am fairly fit already, just needing a diet to push me through.

You got the amount of muscle mass you already want but want to drop body fat? Just eat less.

I don't know why people get so hung up on each "new" diet that comes out. Just eat more or eat less and keep your macros in line with your goals. Ain't rocket science!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...