supermeatheads

kunk75

You can use other attachments like cambered handles (like preach curl bar) or D-Ring handles.

But in all seriousness, I think the best thing to do is drop lat pulldown all together and work on pullups (hands out) instead. And for the biceps part, just do curls I guess (I don't do them). You'll get better lat development this way.

If you can't do pullups, lat pulldowns are fine, though.

i do working sets of lat pulldown at 90lbs and i can do maybe 5 chin ups at a time? if your gym has an assisted chin up machine, try using that. i've been doing those with anywhere from 45lbs - 10lbs reduction

and cheers man, i've been working on both, hoping to drop the pulldowns once i can do good sized sets of chins. when i'm in the middle of the workout and my arms are starting to get the pump going, i have a really hard time doing chins, but the other night i banged a bunch out at the park, so i think i just need to do them when i'm still fresh

i was told that underhand grip is better for lat development on all pulling motions? probably just broscience, but figured i'd mention it

I cant easily do pullups yet. Is it safe to assume that I will be able to once I am able to lat pulldown my own bodyweight?

yeah. Even less than bodyweight lat pull should get you there. Even though they seem like the same-ish exercise, the pulley makes it much different. Pull ups are hard to finish, while lat pulls are hard to start. But work on those if you can't do pull ups.

I think that even if you can get to sets of 3, that's a good start. Just try to add 1 more rep here and there. Over time, you'll be able to get up to 10 or so.

​If you can't do even one pull-up or chin-up I advise you to use two exercises - the horizontal row and the scapular pull-up in order to get ready for your first pull-up. Start doing horizontal rows and gradually work until you are able to do a few reps with your feet elevated on a chair, table...etc. Sets and reps are up to you but don't get too crazy and NEVER train to failure.

After you are done with your horizontal rows perform a few sets of scapular pull-ups in order to develop a good pull-up start and to condition the insertions of your lats for pull-ups. On this exercise focus on full range of motion and forger about reps. Just hang from the bar or rings and down-shrug your shoulders without flexing at the elbow. That's how each pull-up should be started. Once you are able to do the feet elevated version of the horizontal row switch to pull-up or chin-ups. You will be able to do 2-3 reps.

img1902.png

If You Can Do 1-3 reps

If you can do 1-3 reps I recommend using the “calm strength†method. You are going to perform 1-2 reps for 8-10 sets with perfect form and NEVER to failure. In other words if you can do 2 pull-ups perform 8-10 sets of 1 rep with relatively small rest between sets. Perform this drill up to a few times a week (depending on what else you are doing), avoid failure and add one rep/set each time. After you are able to do 15 sets of 1 rep rest two days and test your max. I bet it will be well over 2 reps.

If You Can Do 4-6+ reps

If you can do 4-6 reps you can use the same method presented above but instead of 10 x 1 you will do 10 x 2 or 3. Another option is to follow the classic GTG protocol by Pavel Tsatsouline. However make sure you avoid over training and go back when you have to.

If You Can Do 10+ reps

If you can do 10 reps of perfect form pull-ups you are at decent level and you may add a little weight to your pull-ups. Don't get greedy here - 5 lbs - 10lbs will be plenty. Start doing 10 sets of 2 reps with 5 lbs and after you build-up to 15 sets of 2 reps with 5lbs rest test your bodyweight max rep pull-ups. I bet it will be well over 10 reps.

rookiejournal.com

http://www.rookiejournal.com/lat-activation.html

Edited by t3hcoke

Going to try crossfit out at a friends gym tomorrow. Not sure it's for me, but I get a weeks classes for free. Trying out IF/Leangains at the moment too though, so it'll be a fasted workout. Lost 6kg in 6 weeks on IF so far, despite having a cold for the last week and a half.

If you start getting into CF, it may be tough to lay off eating. Do you think you have a lot of fat to lose?

I've been lifting for 15 years, so I have a pretty high metabolism, but when I switched from power lifting to CF, it's possible that I ate more.

I honestly have no clue how much fat I want to lose, I tend to store it all on my stomach so apart fro, stomach fat, I don't have a problem with my body fat. I think I want to lose another 6kg or so from a rough guess. Crossfit will only be twice a week though if that makes a difference, I do too much BJJ right now to fit in more than that.

thanks! i'm hovering around 148, and my target weight is 162-163lbs but i'm having a hell of a time putting on anything. been logging my food, and i'm pretty sure i'm getting enough protein, but probably not enough calories

Get more brown rice in your system.

I hit my target weight of 160 lbs, now just looking to maintain and shed bf. Currently @ 10%, looking to hit 8% for that shredded aesthetic.

Basically it's all diet from here right?

Posted on SF but dl-ed 3 plates the other day. Feelsgoodman.

thanks! i'm hovering around 148, and my target weight is 162-163lbs but i'm having a hell of a time putting on anything. been logging my food, and i'm pretty sure i'm getting enough protein, but probably not enough calories

ive been trying to bulk for the last few months as well, 3000+ calories is a lot for me but drinking shakes and eating pb makes it easier. iono if your trying to eat clean/healthy though.

say good bye to your wardrobe

Edited by narutofan

Going to try crossfit out at a friends gym tomorrow. Not sure it's for me, but I get a weeks classes for free. Trying out IF/Leangains at the moment too though, so it'll be a fasted workout. Lost 6kg in 6 weeks on IF so far, despite having a cold for the last week and a half.

fwiw, i have been if/leangains for about 5 or 6 months, cf 4-5/week for 2 months 6am always fasted, modified paleo (eat dairy). lifts are going up and gaining weight slowly... used to box 5x/week for 2 years and miss the martial arts cardio but definitely feel more well rounded and you'll still get your heart racing if you push hard on the metcons

Edited by Stacks

just got back into working out. i used to work out about 4 times a week maybe 5 years ago. only been back at it for a month.

stats:

138lbs

5'6''

deadlift 305x3

front squat 205x5x5

power clean 185x3

power snatch 135

over head squat 135x5

bench 185x5x5

squat 225x5x5

i feel pretty strong for my size

Edited by hailxenu