supermeatheads

kunk75

^assuming you're just starting out to lift seriously, look into programs for beginners that use compounds as your main exercises like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Reg Park's beginner routine among others to build a strength base for a few months until you stall. you can learn the form for each exercise from the programs' books/website, on http://exrx.net/index.html or on youtube.

you also have to eat more than you usually do to actually gain weight and build muscle. i don't know enough about nutrition to give specifics but this article does a good job of explaining the basics: http://4chanfit.wiki...Worksheet_(WIP) (srs)

if you play a sport or practice martial arts competitively, it's probably better to ask a coach for more detailed training advice

Fuck Mark Rippitoe.

just paid for a university gym and really want to get into this. i don't even know where to start. I want to find some schedule so i can follow that regime.

my main goal is to bulk up (be 140-150lbs by the end of this month).

I personally always recommend a few weeks of calisthenic training before you start a heavy weight lifting program. But since you've already purchased a membership I'd recommend Iron Addicts simple power based routine. Probably the best routine for beginners, and even intermediates make significant gains.

so, i was trying to learn how to do a snatch today using the bar. I think I can do it except for some tightness on front right of my hip and possibly my left lat. The thing is as I did exploded upward in the 2nd half of the movement, I nearly passed out and I stumbled six steps backwards at a 45 degree angle to my right and nearly dropped the weight as I stumbled i was leaning backwards heavily on the right and I was holding the bar in front of me dropping heavily to the right, in the direction I was stumbling.

Thoughts?

No video since I'm not trying to replicated it...

EDIT: the same thing has happened while I've been smoking weed, when I was smoking a cigarette, and after I've smoked weed; if that helps.

Edited by t3hcoke

so, i was trying to learn how to do a snatch today using the bar. I think I can do it except for some tightness on front right of my hip and possibly my left lat. The thing is as I did exploded upward in the 2nd half of the movement, I nearly passed out and I stumbled six steps backwards at a 45 degree angle to my right and nearly dropped the weight as I stumbled i was leaning backwards heavily on the right and I was holding the bar in front of me dropping heavily to the right, in the direction I was stumbling.

Thoughts?

No video since I'm not trying to replicated it...

EDIT: the same thing has happened while I've been smoking weed, when I was smoking a cigarette, and after I've smoked weed; if that helps.

lol go lighter dude. if your gym has those shorter barbells, use those. it took me two weeks of stretching, overhead squatting and light behind the neck presses while squatting to get flexible enough to catch the bar properly (did this at home too with a mop lol). do some hip flexor stretches, back and shoulder stretches on top of those to get closer to the catch/ass to grass overhead squat position without a bar. sometimes i do a few sets of hang snatches to warm up if my full snatch form is shaky.

Forgot to xpost to the supermeatheads mecca.

Late post, either way.

Finally finished the gym in my parents garage. Gym membership ran out, and will never need to pay to lift again hopefully.

Except homemade jerk boxes, which contrary to the testimonials were quite a bitch, everything is Pendlay.

6140817e_DSCF2403.jpeg

Edited by enlightened.

yo is playing squash for an hour, hour and a half on my lifting days going to affect my gains? im like 2.25 months into stronglifts, and when i play squash its usually 130-140 bpm for the whole time

Don't stress over it. Just make sure you're keeping track of your progression with photos/measurements. If you're not hitting the size you want just add calories. Shouldn't have to sacrifice things you enjoy for a slightly better body. This whole bb thing takes years anyway.

yeah, i've been really really surprised with my overall results: went from squatting the bar to my body weight + 5lbs today, and deadlifting body weight + 20lbs. thats approximately 2 months 1 week into stronglifts, but i've missed days here and there due to traveling and choosing squash over lifting when i still thought it would fuck me if i did them both on the same day.

might switch from stronglifts to something else though, my upper body is sick and twisted and i only have one pec muscle(poland syndrome, have posted about it before) so i've had to deload on both military press and bench a couple times. i also want something thats designed around getting better at squash, since i think i like the idea of getting good at that over getting huge.

• 2 weeks later...

been wanting to get back into shape and start lifting again. i haven't lifted since high school so probably around 3 years lol. routine i used mainly was starting strength. back then main goal for lifting was to bulk up and get stronger, but now i'd rather be generally fit. still want to get stronger, but want to keep getting bigger to a minimum since i'm pretty short (5'7) and don't want to look wide if that makes sense.

the thing that sucks is there aren't any good gyms near me so the only thing i've been doing has been cardio (walking, hiit/sprints) that i've thought of doing some bodyweight exercises/crossfit kinda stuff

anyone have a good routine for me to follow? sorry if it sounds like i have ocd lol.

• 2 weeks later...

i think im improving (thanks wrong_move); starting to see some muscle gains and a little a bit of weight gain. don't think I am eating enoguh or what to eat.

anyone who has been bulking up for awhile mind giving me some of your menu items that you eat daily? would like to see what everyone eats to add some variety.

like how many times you eat a day, and what exactly.

supermeatheads... i am trying to get back into going to the gym to integrate free weights into my kettlebell circuit work outs. just realized that my local gym has kettlebells so I am going to venture in for some training. looking for some good circuits to train the full body. i namely want to start doing deadlifts and squats, but am a bit afraid as i have not done them before. Here is my kettlebell work out currently using a 35 lb kettle, its a modified 300 kettlebell workout.

25 V-Ups

50 Snatches

25 Push Ups

50 Swings

40 bicycle crunches

50 Snatches

+band workouts for biceps and triceps, doing the whole work out as quick as possible.

I have been doing a few workouts at the gym, but they have been scattered. i really like this one my friend taught me which is a push up with dumbbells, row in push up position with each arm, then to an upright position with bicep curl and press.

• 2 weeks later...

i was on a 4 day split (shoulders; back/bi; chest/tri; legs) and now trying a push/pull, strength/hypertrophy routine

while i was on the 4 day split working quads just once a week i'd get ~mad doms~ that would take like 3-4 days to go away, but i'd never really have to train through with the affected muskle group (i.e. heals by the time it needs to work again)

but now with push/pull i'm looking at doing a leg exercise 4 times a week - so from experience, does this sort of thing get better over time when changing routines? or is routine/loading type&frequency irrelevant? i can barely walk after my first day of push strength (from squats+leg press)

Edited by usher