supermeatheads

kunk75

Really? Wonder why mine are so frayed then...

If it's conditioning you're after then why not just do cardio? We can agree to disagree

I don't mind at all brother, though the lifts aren't impressive at all.

5'8, 170, 11-12%.

305x3 squat / 365x1 dead/ 245x1 bench

barely started squatting consistently in Jan, and haven't done deads since '11. Strong upper:lowerbody ratio <_< . Currently cutting but soon as I start my lean-bulk back up I'm hoping to pack on some decent leg meat.

^on that note, anybody know good books/videos that teach O-lifts? right now i'm just reading a bunch of articles on T-nation and Dan John's website and watching Tommy Konno videos on youtube. i really want to get into this more but i can't afford a coach at the moment... gonna try to work on my form for the next few months.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles010.html

Very logical explanation of weightlifting technique. For you math/science minded folks, they even talk about moments! Russians for ya. Dan John is a great coach, always comes off like a retard to me when you read his texts. Watch lots of videos. Another great online article source is Catalyst Athletics for O-lifts...very easy to read.

To the person who wanted to get more pull ups in. Odd how no one suggested this but train your forearm and wrist (part of training forearms) if you are not already? Pull ups aren't all lats. Don't just dangle there imagining your lats flexing or something lol get a barbell behind your back and do some wrist curls, do some reverse grip barbell curls and hammer curls and you only need to dedicate <10mins to this once or twice a week.

To the person who wanted to get more pull ups in. Odd how no one suggested this but train your forearm and wrist (part of training forearms) if you are not already? Pull ups aren't all lats. Don't just dangle there imagining your lats flexing or something lol get a barbell behind your back and do some wrist curls, do some reverse grip barbell curls and hammer curls and you only need to dedicate <10mins to this once or twice a week.

My forearm training pretty much consists of regular deadlifts and RDLs. I just mentioned the lats part cause I pretty much only used my arms when I started out. But I'll try that and see how much my pullups/chins improve. I'm trying to do kipping pullups more often for conditioning for when I don't have time to do hill sprints, sometimes I have trouble keeping the momentum going

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm stuck at 295 on the deadlift and discovered a sticking point in my lift. Getting the bar to my knee/mid shin I feel is my weakest part, but once I get it to mid thigh my lockout is able to take over.

For example the other day had had 225 on the bar then 160 pounds of chain so at the top of the lift it was about 385 which I was able to lock out for two sets of 3. Based off that I guess the culprit is just weak hamstrings?

So I'm stuck at 295 on the deadlift and discovered a sticking point in my lift. Getting the bar to my knee/mid shin I feel is my weakest part, but once I get it to mid thigh my lockout is able to take over.

For example the other day had had 225 on the bar then 160 pounds of chain so at the top of the lift it was about 385 which I was able to lock out for two sets of 3. Based off that I guess the culprit is just weak hamstrings?

That sounds about right. Are your legs conventional style or sumo? Switching it up for a little while may help promote growth.

Can't say it's your hamstrings or not without a video of your deadlift. For all I know, it could be a technique issue.

Wrestling season is coming up and I'm currently trying to bulk as much as I can because I'll pretty much be cutting for a couple months. Does anyone recommendations on a routine that I could do 3 times a week, might be able to do 4-5 a week, to maintain strength? I was thinking push/pull/legs?

^I'm doing Madcow 5x5 right now and making good progress after seven weeks. Dudes who have been lifting for years at my gym tell me that Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 is great for making steady long-term gains. It's also pretty flexible as far as adding assistance work for sport-specific training.

I need some 1.25 lb plates in my life

Edited by wrong_move

Also looking for a good 3 day split. mix up a little cardio in between. Found this in a bb.com article. thoughts?

Day 1

• 2 x 10 Bench press
  • 2 x 10 Close-grip bench press
  • 2 x 10 Incline bench press
  • 2 x 8 Dumbbell flyes
  • 2 x 8 Skull crushers
  • 2 x 10 Tricep extensions
  • 2 x 15 Front dumbbell raise
  • 2 x 15 Side dumbbell raise

Day 2

• 3 x 10 Barbell curls (try wide and close grips too)
  • 2 x 10 Concentration curls
  • 2 sets of pullups to failure (if you can do them)
  • 2 x 10 Lat pulls
  • 2 x 10 Bent-over Rows
  • 3 x 10 Wrist curls
  • 2 x 10 Barbell shrugs
  • 2 x 10 Calf raise machine shrugs

Day 3

• 3 x 10 Squats
  • 2 x 10 Barbell deadlifts
  • 3 x 10 Leg press
  • 2 x 10 Leg extensions
  • 3 x 10 Calf raises
  • 2 x 10 Barbell lunges
  • 2 sets Farmer's walk

Also looking for a good 3 day split. mix up a little cardio in between. Found this in a bb.com article. thoughts?

that looks like a huge amount of overkill. why is practically every exercise at ten reps? doing deadlifts directly after squats would suck too. find a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and pick a program somewhere in there

• 3 weeks later...

like bryce said. I think is overkill. Unless you are going for endurance/fat burning and doing moderate weights, then that routine maybe good.

but we are in supermeathead. I would reduce the reps do either a 8-6-4 or just do 6 reps for both set using heavy weights.

To increase my pullups I started doing a 25/12/25 bodyweight workout once a week. 25 pushups followed by 12 pullups followed by 25 reps of an ab excersize in a triset. I broke the workout down into 4 grips.

25 regular grip pushups

12 wide grip pullups

25 swiss ball crunches

25 wide grip pushups

12 chinups

25 pikeups

25 diamond pushups

12 close grip (forearm) pullups

25 weighted russian twists

25 clapping pushups

12 lateral grip pullups

25 swiss ball jacknifes

cycle through each triset 3 times to complete the workout. improved my pull up strength like crazy. after 3 months of doing that workout once a week i could do 25 pullups in a set no problem and I could do 8 muscleups up from 0. Still can't seem to hit 10 muscleups though. Any tips?

On a separate note, starting incorporating a straight up olympic bench press into my workouts for the first time in a while. Hit 335x1. For reference I'm 6'1, 185lb.

Man I feel like I'm hitting a second plateau, and trying to figure out how to push through it. Really started hitting the gym and lifting about 4 mos ago, went from 208-180lbs, 23.5% bodyfat to 13.4%, and dropped my waist from a 36 to a 33 and saw tons of change, but really pushing to get bodyfat to 10-11% and see clean definition. I feel like my body is just hanging on for dear life and won't let go of this last bit. In the gym 4-5 days/week, diet is pretty straight (with some obvs fuckups), but what's gonna push it over the edge? More cardio, diff lifting, just more time? Halp.

Edited by OkayOkay

what are you lifting? if your strength is still going up then your bodyfat is unlikely to go down quickly...

cycle your weights and exploding out of your lift should help you gain more muscle hence more definition.

sub-12% is significantly more difficult than 23.5% to 12%; cleaning your diet is the only way, but personally i like eating.

Eat clean, lift heavy, do interval cardio right after waking up / lifting, pretty much doing something everyday.

Worked out for me, went from 13% to 9% in a month. Vascularity in inner thighs after squats / sprints / waking up. Visible abs @ all times. Feels good man.

My diet became really disciplined though, breakfast = unsweetened oatmeal + low fat dairy, lunch = huge bowl of leafy veg & 3-4 eggs, dinner = brown rice, lots of vegs, chicken/fish. Throw in some apples, bananas, oatmeal cookies, cottage cheese, low fat yoghurt & muesli bars as snacks. Only supplements taken were krill oil for joint health.

Edited by DJ_Flame

@okayokay I'm gunna echo and say it's literally 90% diet, and consistency is your key. Consistency is required regardless, but how clean the diet depends on the person. For me, the only carbs I eat is a 1/3 cup of uncooked oats every morning. All my other carbs come from non starch vegetables, and everything else is animal protein and something I call protein pudding (beverly international protein powder, ground flax seed + just enough water to make it pudding like)... The beverly international powder is key, otherwise it'd taste like shit. 5 meals a day, 3hrs between each, do this for a month and you'll break any plateau.

I was where you are probably about a year ago, tried to work through it and did so albeit very slowly until april of this year. I adopted this type of diet and I'm about 9% bf and the leanest I've ever been in my life and it only took about 2-3 months. I could've saved SO much time had I known this and stuck to it earlier.

P.S. to do this effectively it's best so have no social life and I haven't gone out drinking all summer... but I'm ripped bitch. Also google the 10 commandments of cutting on bodybuilding.com

P.S.S. Tabata/Interval training is also key and done effectively will kick your ass.

Edited by jhxkcd

• 2 weeks later...