supermeatheads

kunk75

After lifting consistently, and increasing the weight consistently, for the past 4 months, I've noticed that for the past 2 weeks, I've had some crazy dizzy spells during and after my deadlift sets. Now, I know dizziness when doing heavy deadlifts is common due to the nature of the exercise, but to get dizzy even during a warm up set and starting only 2 weeks ago? Something seems wrong.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Someone I know was having this problem and they figured out they were spending too long bending over before they lifted.

After lifting consistently, and increasing the weight consistently, for the past 4 months, I've noticed that for the past 2 weeks, I've had some crazy dizzy spells during and after my deadlift sets. Now, I know dizziness when doing heavy deadlifts is common due to the nature of the exercise, but to get dizzy even during a warm up set and starting only 2 weeks ago? Something seems wrong.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Almost every heavy set.

You'll be fine as long as you don't pass out (and hit something on the way down).

fuck!

hurt my back doing power cleans. wasn't mentally there and did it with bad form. its an old injury at the L5 S1 disc. the disk was bulged from about 5 years ago when i was going heavy on squats.

its been two days and its not getting much better, been icing it and taking pain killers, can barely get out of bed. i really don't know what my options are.

i can go get an MRI to see if it got worse. and if it is than what? surgery? cortisone shot?

to make matters worse, if i wanted to go see a doc today, seattle is fucking closed down everywhere because of snow

what to do?!?!?!?!?!

Edited by hailxenu

Finally back to working out, after a 2 week time off, due to tendonitis (which I'm still dealing with.)

I can get back on track, just gotta cut out a few pulling exercises (upright rows/face pulls/barbell curls, I can't even curl a 30 pound ez curl bar all the way, anymore :***(.) Oh well, at least I can hit the same muscles with other compound movements.

But man... fuck this injury.

fuck!

hurt my back doing power cleans. wasn't mentally there and did it with bad form. its an old injury at the L5 S1 disc. the disk was bulged from about 5 years ago when i was going heavy on squats.

its been two days and its not getting much better, been icing it and taking pain killers, can barely get out of bed. i really don't know what my options are.

i can go get an MRI to see if it got worse. and if it is than what? surgery? cortisone shot?

to make matters worse, if i wanted to go see a doc today, seattle is fucking closed down everywhere because of snow

what to do?!?!?!?!?!

Definitely see a professional about that.

Finally back to working out, after a 2 week time off, due to tendonitis (which I'm still dealing with.)

I can get back on track, just gotta cut out a few pulling exercises (upright rows/face pulls/barbell curls, I can't even curl a 30 pound ez curl bar all the way, anymore :***(.) Oh well, at least I can hit the same muscles with other compound movements.

But man... fuck this injury.

Try a sleeve. It's helped me. Also, watch out with pounding pushing movements which can bother your tendinitis too. Only flares up once in a blue moon for me now.

• 4 weeks later...

My basic understanding of creatine:

You'll need to have a loading phase, a week or so before. It teaches your body to absorbe the creatine.

Fast digesting/simple carbs and water are gonna be a major factor in taking creatine. A gallon a day keeps the kidney stones away.

I took my creatine after my workouts (in my protein shake,) and in the morning of my non workout days (glass of water.)

I'm not a pro on creatine, this is just my basic understanding (correct me where I'm wrong.) I know I left some stuff out, but I'll let the pros handle that.

Any of you cats use Creature? I've been suggested this stuff by numerous people and have been meaning to try it.

i found some optimum nutrition monohydrate, real cheap 5.99 for 150g bought 2 so it should last me a couple months. i heard that creature stuff is good too, its one of the blended products. I'm gonna take about 5g post work out a see how it goes, and drink a ton of water. i dont want stones again, that shit was horrific.

pulled my left calf yesterday, was trying to balance myself while holding dumbbells... :/

is there anything i can do with my legs in the mean time? aside from stretches/rehabilitative stuff

is trying out one legged stuff worth my time or should i just rest both legs?

I do a split right now of back/bi's, chest/tri's, legs, shoulders/traps, and then, sometimes a full body day and an arms day. I haven't been working out that long but I see progress but was wondering if maybe I should switch to a routine similar to SS? My gym sucks and I can't do deadlifts and it's small. Basically, should I continue with this split or do a different routine based more on strength? What would a good set/rep count be? I also probably don't get enough calories if that makes a difference but I do take mass gainer and soon creatine.

Edited by tu_madre51

pulled my left calf yesterday, was trying to balance myself while holding dumbbells... :/

is there anything i can do with my legs in the mean time? aside from stretches/rehabilitative stuff

if you must, do some pistols, hold a 10 pound plate the next workout if you manage to complete it. Otherwise just rest and try to eat protein to facilitate recovery.

I do a split right now of back/bi's, chest/tri's, legs, shoulders/traps, and then, sometimes a full body day and an arms day. I haven't been working out that long but I see progress but was wondering if maybe I should switch to a routine similar to SS? My gym sucks and I can't do deadlifts and it's small. Basically, should I continue with this split or do a different routine based more on strength? What would a good set/rep count be? I also probably don't get enough calories if that makes a difference but I do take mass gainer and soon creatine.

deadlifts are the best!

if your gym has a squat rack try setting the safety bars to the lowest points, basically where the bar would be if using 45 pound plates, and pulling from there.

squats/deadlifts work out the whole body so yea...

EDIT:

http://startingstren...s_and_Downloads

Edited by t3hcoke

Anybody got some good trap workout recommendations? I'm trying to get to Trap City and it's probably progressing the slowest, out of everything else. I mean, they're getting there, slowly but surely... but I feel that there might be a workout I'm missing.

So far I'm doing:

- Hex bar shrugs.

- Face pulls.

- Sometimes plate raises (stomach down on an incline bench.)

- And I'm gonna implement Hise Shrugs.

Upright Rows were working for me, but with the tendonitis, the motion puts a lot of strain on my elbow, so that's a no go.

Let me know if you think what I got is good enough, just gotta give it more time, or if I'm missing something major.

@tu_madre52

No, not a rack pull. What I meant was set the bar catching part so that the bar is about mid-shin level, and basically where the bar would be with 45 pound plates on each side. tbh, I dunno how you don't have room for deadlift with a squat rack in your gym... just take over a section of padded floor and pull the weight. If you want to gain mass, you have to eat. Simple as that, and as you lift more you'll get hungrier :D Creatine is temporary, but it will make you bigger and it lets you lift more. It takes a long time to gain muscle mass, so just progressively lift as much weight as you can. Until you can comfortably squat 2x, and deadlift 2.5x-3x your bodyweight, there's really no point in worrying about gaining mass. You'll get big, if you can lift big. so take whatever steps you need to get there and SS is a good way to do that.

@stuntastic

When you do the upward row, try thinking of it as pulling your elbows back and pulling the bar to your deltoids. You should also try adding an overhead press and shrug upwards at when you lockout at top. Maybe, some trap bar deadlift and shrugs too...

Edited by t3hcoke

Anybody got some good trap workout recommendations? I'm trying to get to Trap City and it's probably progressing the slowest, out of everything else. I mean, they're getting there, slowly but surely... but I feel that there might be a workout I'm missing.

So far I'm doing:

- Hex bar shrugs.

- Face pulls.

- Sometimes plate raises (stomach down on an incline bench.)

- And I'm gonna implement Hise Shrugs.

Upright Rows were working for me, but with the tendonitis, the motion puts a lot of strain on my elbow, so that's a no go.

Let me know if you think what I got is good enough, just gotta give it more time, or if I'm missing something major.

Those are fine. Just got heavy with 10-15 reps. And eat more.

Rest and eat enough to speed up recovery.

So like a rack pull?

I actually have the SS book. Would you recommend me doing it? Would I be gaining a lot of mass?

edit: I also do a lot of swimming if that matters

Drop the supplements and eat more. You're not going to "gain mass" unless you eat enough to facilitate growth.

And I suggest moving away from that split for sure. I'm not a huge fan of SS. But it's better probably better than the split you've got going on now.

So i modified my training routine. Been doing lots of compounds (squats, deadlifts, bench, military presses and pullups) 4 times a week with 4x200m sprints sessions after lifting to maximize fat burn. Mixed in are core workout sessions like v-ups, planks, woodchoppers etc and light cardio for maintenance.

My thighs have gotten leaner and vascularity is for the first time showing in my inner thighs (yea vag gap). Body fat is approx 12% and I can lift more than before, got PRs in 5km races etc.

All I need to do now is eat right and I'll be pretty satisfied if I can maintain this for the next few years.

I'm constantly hungry though, especially @ night. How to stop this as I think I snack a little too often?

Edited by DJ_Flame

How about a push/pull routine? Would that be better? If so, can I have an example of one? and is it okay if I do push/pull/push/pull/push/pull for a total of 6x a week? Thanks for all the info

I think if you go heavy, 6 per week is overkill because I find 2 days rest is the best for getting rid of delayed onset muscle soreness.

Doing 4 compounds per day with push/pull variations, for 2 straight days with 1 day rest in-between has worked for me so far. I do 3x10, to the point that by the last rep of the 3rd set I'm slightly struggling with form.

Okay, gotcha. Anyone advice on a push/pull routine for 5x-6x a week? and any opinions on crossfit?

edit: and I'm in college right now so it's hard to get a lot of calories from the shitty dorm food. Anyone have any recommendations on food I can get from a grocery store that doesn't really require cooking and has a good amount of calories and protein and such? I can't cook for shit

Edited by tu_madre51

I think push-pull 5-6x a week is overkill, also. Are you doing it trying to gain strength or build endurance? If the former, I suggest maybe 4x. I used to do a heavy upper body push/pull on monday, heavy lower on tues, take off wed, and go 75-80% of the heavy days on thurs/fri.

As for crossfit (which has been discussed multiple times, mainly by me), it's pretty much just an endurance builder while generally stabilizing muscles. If you're weak in general, you'll def get stronger, but not as strong as if you focused only on lifting. The plus is that you train your muscles to undergo constant reps and your cardio skill learns to keep up. The negative is if you used to be super strong, you probably won't stay there, unless you have a lot of time for the gym.

Do you think you could show me your routine if it's not too much trouble?

Oh, okay. I'm wrestling next season and I thought crossfit would be a good option. I was also looking into the military so I thought it would help. People actually do crossfit and go to the gym at the same time? Crossfit gyms are expensive as fuck down here as it is haha.

Ooh, it's been a long time (like 6+ yrs) since i was working off that push/pull method. From what I recall, it included a lot of straight sets and like 2-3 exercises per muscle group. In retrospect, I feel like there are better ways to go about it.

Well for wrestling and possibly military, crossfit will probably be great. I wrestled in high school, and those practices were still probably worse than CF workouts. I say give it a shot, then.

I try to mix in CF workouts with heavy lifting days still. I'll bench probably once a week and do deadlift once or twice. The rest takes care of itself. For instance, this is what I did this morning:

Row 750m (about 3 mins)

then 5 rds:

20 Wall Balls (front squat w/ 20lb med ball and throw at 10' target)

20 Pushups (release hands at bottom)

run a lap of stairs (3 stories + basement)

So I taxed my shoulders pretty well and my legs still got a good workout.