supermeatheads

kunk75

smh @ you noobs

I'm usually very supportive of anyone at any strength level and at any physical development they are current at or want to acquire..

but you starting with that after we're just giving our two cents and advice about your waste of money?

you shouldn't be calling anyone a "noob" with the body you've got right now.

core as in mid section i am assuming... currently i do:

vertical knee raise with a 20lbs weight for 10 reps x 6 sets > 17.5 lbs for 12 reps x 4 sets > 15 lbs for 15 reps x 3 sets,

decline twisted crunches with 25lbs weight for 15 reps, 10lbs weight for 20 reps x 4 sets, 5lbs weight for 25 reps x 3 sets

oblique cable twist with 22.5lbs weight for 10 reps 6 sets, 17.5lbs for 12 reps 4 sets, 12.5 lbs for 15 reps. 3 sets

and these sets x reps i switch em up every two weeks twice a week in order to stay off plateau and increase weight once the rotation is over

this may be a dumb question, but how important are macronutrient ratios if youre trying to bulk? many of you know how skinny i am--this summer i plan on doing a strength building program (maybe SS) to get back into shape, and i think im going to pretty much just eat as much [healthy] food as i can. dont want to overthink it. should i be more focused on eating a lot or eating correct proportions when trying to gain strength and mass?

this may be a dumb question, but how important are macronutrient ratios if youre trying to bulk? many of you know how skinny i am--this summer i plan on doing a strength building program (maybe SS) to get back into shape, and i think im going to pretty much just eat as much [healthy] food as i can. dont want to overthink it. should i be more focused on eating a lot or eating correct proportions when trying to gain strength and mass?

Hi Protein, Hi to Med Carbs, Med Fat is what you are looking for.... have around 3k calories everyday and i m sure you are gonna see results at the end of the summer, I'm on the same boat as you are but instead, my bulking pharse is till december :P

edit: and dont forget to do LISS cardio around twice a week, this will help you alot when you wanna cut

i dirty bulked from 133 to 150s, cut down to 145ish. did a not-so-dirty bulk to 158. easier to just eat like a pig to get that weight up and cut fat down later on, from my experience. tbh i don't care too much about aesthetics, i just want to be strong as heck while staying relatively light.

hit 375x3 on my last set of squats yesterday B)

Anyone got tips on how to do a pseudoclean bulk up from 130 to 145+?

I spent the past 5 years 125-130 and no matter how much I eat/work out it doesn't seem to change more than a bit of fluxing.

An average day is ~ 3000 calories. damn metabolism hates me and loves me. I'm too old to be this small

^^ EAT MORE, no cardio

macronutrients are somewhat important I guess but there's no need to go crazy about em. Get a lot of protein, some complex carbs, and some healthy fats. Its easiest for me to make every meal consist of each. If i'm eating a turkey sandwich for instance i'll get fats from eating a spoonful of peanut butter or olive oil mayonnaise or a handful of almonds or something.

^^^^^

you tried using supplements?

i dirty bulked from 133 to 150s, cut down to 145ish. did a not-so-dirty bulk to 158. easier to just eat like a pig to get that weight up and cut fat down later on, from my experience. tbh i don't care too much about aesthetics, i just want to be strong as heck while staying relatively light.

hit 375x3 on my last set of squats yesterday B)

suprised that you are on sufu and you dont care about aesthetic... i mean you can have an amazing fit but will it look good on someone that has a pretty bad physique?

to me, its all bout aesthetic, i mean c'mon... let's be honest, what is the point of buying really nice apprael? yes, to stand out from the crowd n look special coz we are all vein to a certain level :) [yes mee too]

I think before anyone takes anyone's advice on anything, they should see what the guy giving it looks like and/or the numbers he puts up..

I just see this thread crowed with 5'10" 140 pound guys giving advice on "bulking" and "cutting" diets, what supplements they should take, and how many curls they should do.

calvin, get at me on facebook and I'll shoot you some tips.

daphne says that, but roll back a few pages to see his pictures. he's more put together than both of us.

givin me too much credit, man :o

i should clarify my earlier statement. my focus is on strength rather than aesthetics, but that does not mean i don't care about how i look. i could be leaner with a strict diet but i'm not interested in doing that at this point in time. i'm satisfied with what i see in the mirror.

I think before anyone takes anyone's advice on anything, they should see what the guy giving it looks like and/or the numbers he puts up..

I just see this thread crowed with 5'10" 140 pound guys giving advice on "bulking" and "cutting" diets, what supplements they should take, and how many curls they should do.

Or we should have them post youtube videos. Because everyone can type something out and just because you look cut and strong in a picture doesnt mean you are

Or we should have them post youtube videos. Because everyone can type something out and just because you look cut and strong in a picture doesnt mean you are

that's fine too. but taking advice from someone that looks cut and strong would be beneficial to someone that just wants to look cut and strong.

heck, if you want to a typical skinny sufu physique, I'd say listen to someone who has a skinny sufu physique.

all of that doesn't always hold true, but it's a good gauge of good/bad advice.

Well I'm flirting with 5'9'' and 130, which is a funny looking combo because i'm kinda lanky, but I take centrum and a bit o protein powder. I've recently gotten into the habit of eating 4-6 hard boiled egg whites over the course of the day, a few generous spoons of peanut butter, and I'm working on trying to eat more food. I usually get bored of eating before I get full.

In my infinite narcissism I do care about aesthetics but at the same time I'm fine with getting a tad bit chubs. Is there an alternate to the no cardio though? I freaking love sports during spring time :(

How old are you? Do you still have years to grow?

I think you should play all the sports you want, but supplement it with weight training. 5'9 130 is very skinny imo. I think you need to put on weight no matter what. If you're really active/lifting, start eating everything in sight. Sure, you'll add some fat, but plenty of muscle should come, too.

When you hit 150 or 160, then start to evaluate what you want to look like.

Now I know this stuff is different for everyone, but I think you should be able to get to a more normal BMI. Do you have broad but bony shoulders or are they narrow? Start thinking about stuff like that for how you lift.

Guest walter_is_lame

I think there should be two separate threads.

One for people that love weightlifting, trying to get huge, strong or whatever.

One for people that just want to get fit....that consider "working out" a few sets of laterals, a few set of bicep curls and a few set of tricep pushdowns.

JUST SAYIN'

My apartment complex has a small "gym" for its residents, but it only has a smith machine to bench, squat, and so on.

i've heard that using the smith machine to squat is actually more dangerous in terms of risking knee injuries, lower back injuries, etc. compared to using free weights and i was wondering if someone can clear that up for me.

i apologize for this noobie question!

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

Quick, informative read. Smith machine limits movement to one plane (up and down) which is not the normal movement for a squat, potentially causing back and knee injuries.

After not squatting for a few years, I thought to try out the smith machine since it seemed safer. I could immediately tell that something didn't feel right and I wasn't comfortable putting up the numbers I'd done in the past. Luckily, on my third trip to the gym some jerk was lounging in the smith machine forcing me back to free weights, and I realized it was the additional range of motion that I'd been missing before. I'd really suggest staying away from the smith for squats, so does your gym have any free weights?

Funny little read there. Never really liked the smith machine. That guy with scoliosis is a fucking monster.

To bother you guys with my previous posts again, my shoulders are broad. The only small thing is my torso really, so i end up wearing 29x32 (fucking impossible to find). I guess I'll just eat more. maybes even do the entire muscle milk thing o_o

I don't use the smith machine at all, but I do think it's generally pretty good for improving strength. I prefer the machines that have the bar go straight up and down as opposed to a slight angle.

Try this out:

If you're benching free weights (BB or DB). Do your regular sets. After that, load up a bunch of weight (If you're in a heavy stage, you could go to 100%+ of your 1RM) and set the pins to lock a few inches above your chest. Then do about 2 sets of 2 to 4 with this super heavy weight. I feel like it prepares your muscles for bigger weights in the future.

Guest walter_is_lame
im trying to do that 100 push ups program.

stupid yes or no.

lol what the heck is this? I can do 100 push ups in about 100 seconds , straight.

I did 100 push ups last year and my weak girl arms got me through week 4 before I lost interest. If you're reasonably fit and have access to weights, there are probably programs that are more worth your time but its a nice challenge without much of a time commitment. You're a cyclist right? Big part of why that program interested me is because I cycle and my lower body is way out of proportion to my top half. That and I knew it'd be a couple of months before I could join a gym.