Starting Pair of Denim

PandaDenim

So I recently got interested in raw denim and I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a starting pair?

I'm currently in Japan so I'm looking at maybe Nudies, PBJs, Samurai, or somets.

But some of those are kind of pricy and I'm wondering if you guys would suggest waiting until I got back in the states to buy a starter pair? Or pick one up since I'm here?

And if it matters I'm in the Tokyo area and I'll be here for a long time, until mid August.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention my measurements.

Waist is about 30, but I can wear a 29.

I haven't measured my thighs but they are pretty skinny so I don't think that'll be a problem.

The length I wear is about 30-32 range, but I'm sort of interested in stacking? So I think longer should be fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

in the future, use the small questions thread.

What kind of fit do you like?

If you like a sort of vintage 501 cut, go with SugarCane 1947 fantastic quality at a small price 13440 yen

fit pics:

img55417264.jpg

If you want them to be slimmer and more modern, look up the Hinoya shop in Ueno and try their staple Burgus plus 770 model also at 13440 yen

fit pics:

img55440158.jpg

besides these 2 there are about a million more brands and models for you to look in to, especially since you're in Tokyo...

if you're in japan, definitely don't wait until you're back in the states. you have access to some of the best denim money can buy without the hassle of proxying.

nudies are ok to start with, but too much $$$ for what you're getting. APC is a good place to start. what kinda fit are you looking for? I honestly think you should just drop a good amount on some high-end japanese denim while you're there to save you the money you'd spend buying it later.

Eternal 811s would also be a good pair. They fade beautifully every time, and they aren't too expensive at approx. 18,000 yen. Sizing can be tough on these, but since you are in Tokyo you will be able to try them on.

lildavid speaks the truth....

what sort of cut do you want...?

give us a bit more info about your budget and what exactly you are looking for, and people will be able to offer you more assistance.

my advice would be to get the best quality denim you can within your budget....it sounds obvious, but keep that in mind. if it means going without something else, so be it. youll probably be wearing them for a long time.

but yeah......decide what sort of fit you want and your budget first - then people's advice will have more direction.

you might want to go check around and try on some pairs to see which ones you prefer the most,see which one you think its the best fit for you

just because some people like certain denim doesnt mean you might like em too, yeah..

Word, sorry guys.

I'm looking for a tighter and slimmer fit. I look silly in those jeans that sag, so ones that are tighter would be nice, but not jeans that are like SUPER tight, just a slim fit.

I'm looking to spend anywhere between 100-300 dollars.

And where do I find sugarcane? And I'm going to make a trip to Shibuya at some point but is it worth it to visit Ueno too? Or just Shibuya?

Where do I find Eternals 811?

The main problem is finding the stores that sell the denim, so far in Shinjuku I've only found one and they stock nudies. So I'm guessing I need to head out to Shibuya to find the better stuff like PBJs, Samurais and the like.

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry I didn't use the small questions thread, I checked there but they didn't seem to answer what I was really looking for.

ueno is your friend. there is a stack of stores close to ueno station.

search for a thread called 'denim shopping in tokyo' or something similar....youll find all the info you could ever want there.

- id highly recommend denime 805 - i picked some up in japan late last year and they are a perfect slim straight leg fit. the colour of the denim is a really really deep, dark indigo....they are well worth the $220 - $240 youd probably pay for them.

- eternal 811 i havent personally owned, but the denim is beautiful.

- skull 5010 is a nice slim modern cut, but there have been a few quality issues with stitching coming undone and the like. i own them and havent had any problems though.

- on top of that, other options to consider may be the flathead (new 3001 cut - see the self edge website for details) or samurai (s0500 or s710).

ueno will have almost everything you need.

americaya and hinoya combined will stock most things you would want.

americaya in shibuya is average compared to the ueno store.

the sugarcanes arent slim by any means, but yeah, they are a good deal for the price.

So I should hit up Ueno instead of Shibuya?

Does Ueno have like Samurai and SugarCane?

I really like the way Sugarcanes look.

In Shibuya you can find Evisu (well close to shibuya), Omnigod (awesome jeans, not much talked about better than considered, reasonably priced), Real McCoy, and maybe 1-2 others that are slipping my mind.

In Ueno, the Hinoya store alone has full runs of every sugarcane, burgus plus, oni, pure blue, and a half dozen other brands.

Don't fuck with Nudie in Japan. I will fly over there just to slap the shit out of you.

You also need to pick what kind of denim you want. There are lots of slim fit jeans, and they range from super long wearing, slow to fade smooth denim like the Studio D'Artisan, to super long wearing, slubby slow to fade denim like the Eternals, to fast fading smooth denim flatheads to fast fading slubby denim (PBJ among others). This is best done in person. Stop asking us, go visit a few stores, find something you like. Hinoya has raw models of most everything that starts raw, but they also stock most of them one wash so you can struggle a bit less with fitting (others do as well, this is just the shop I ended up spending the most time in).

That's what I was thinking actually.

Getting a pair of Samurais, I've been looking at the s501xx(I think that's what it's called?)

So I'm pretty interested in those, but if I'm going to get Samurais I think I'll just visit Shibuya instead of Ueno since Shibuya has an actual Samurai Denim store, and the guy who works there speaks english too, I think.

What cuts would you recommend for samurai? And those are going to cost me a lot right?

Like at least 250?($)

real talk, dont go to japan and come back with some nudies, sams, or canes, or anything that can be found relatively easily here in the states. you are in the land of true denim. there are plenty of lesser known brands that are top quality. there is a thread about 'lesser known japanese brands' that will point you in the right direction. you have a chance to get some shit nobody is up on yet, fade em in real nice, and turn this forum up on its ear. if you can afford more than one pair, get as many as you can. what denim head can come back from japan with one pair of jeans? if you come back from japan to buy apc's, you need to be shot. in the arse. ask edmond(demonito). he'll give you good advice on brands he has, but will never have the time to break in(ha!). you can get sams from NY, but you have the opportunity to get jeans that cant be procured from anywhere else...

go here:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/

and here

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php

and here

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=20161

make an alphabetical list of brands

and then avoid them

buy something none of us have ever heard of, or heard of but not seen, or whatever

then blow mindz and collect mad repz

Hahahahahahaha.

Okay well I guess I'll check out some stores probably in Ueno or Shibuya.

Maybe both since I have a lot of time. But Shibuya has all the newer shit so they might have it, but I'll check out both.

Thanks for the help guys, so after I get them should I hotsoak them or just wear them raw?