Moving to London - Need Help !!!

I'm just moving from Westbourne Park, where I've been for the last four years, to Finsbury Park. I've finally found a flat having spent a month scouring Gumtree. I looked at places in De Beauvoir Town, Hackney, Hackney Wick, Finsbury Park, Crouch End, Muswell Hill and Stokey and the places I've seen have ranged from fucking horrible:

Me: "I'm interested in a studio you've got advertised in Stoke Newington for £120 a week"

Wanker: "Yep, wonderful location; only one problem, there's no natural light but the landlady has really made an effort. I can see it being perfect for someone that doesn't spend much time at home"

Me: "I'm not a chicken" hang-up phone...

To really good, I'd suggest coming to London for a week and viewing as many flats as possible as the quality of accommodation really varies...

In fact, that's the thing. I've heard about all those fucking scammer on gumtree too.

Also, everybody is telling me that finding a good accomodation in London is really hard work and even more a great deal of luck.

So, is there any other way, I mean is there any good agency that I could contact? I am willing to pay something more, that's not the thing. However, I just want to avoid all the trouble that is associated with flat hunting in London. Everybody is warning me but nobody can tell me an alternative.

Also, currently I am still located in Germany...that doesn't make the whole situation any easier...

PLEASE HELP !!!!

The scammers are easy to spot; generally the property they list is too good to be true (a studio in Mayfair for £120 per week...) and they ask for money before you've seen the flat "because they I outside London and want to make sure that you're a genuine applicant"

As I mentioned before if you want to find a good flat in London then you'll have to come to London to look for one. If you go through an agency then you'll end up paying a lot, lot more.

Doesn't LCF have an accomodation office you can get in touch with? If it's anything like the other institutions in London it might have a list of landlords it recommends. If it does you should get it as soon as they release it. Once (or if) you do, start at the end of the list and work backwards to give yourself a better chance. If you go down the Loot route, do the same thing as most people start at the front and go for the same places. Keep a sly eye in bars next time you're across for the little flat share posters as they're normally put up by people that need to fill a room swiftly, mainly student flat-shares or little two beds, where someone's dropped out of an agreement - you can do a bit of haggling if this be the case.

I looked at a room in Clerkenwell for £320 a month all in. Granted it was a small room, with a small window, but it was a nice flat, nice ppl (english all first language) and great location (ie. not a shit hole). £320 for zone 1/central is v reasonable.

How about buying flats?? I am looking for to buy either a studio apartment or 1 room flat. I looked through all the websites listed here, anyone got one that I could probably advertise for a 'flat wanted'

Anyone here stays in camden park area or holborn??

• 3 weeks later...
I looked at a room in Clerkenwell for £320 a month all in. Granted it was a small room, with a small window, but it was a nice flat, nice ppl (english all first language) and great location (ie. not a shit hole). £320 for zone 1/central is v reasonable.

When you say small do you mean only big enough for a single bed?

Guys...I really need some help regarding a flatshare in London:

I am very thankful for all your postings and advices...however, I still haven't found anything!

I am really starting to feel desperate !!!

Will come to London on the following weekend (23th / 24th) again...hoping to find anything but honestly I am not that optimistic...!!! What else could I do ?? Any advices ??

Anyone here who could help or know anyone who is looking for a new flatmate ???

I am willing to pay up to 200 pw...

Thanks again !!!

• 7 years later...

what exactly do you plan to do in London?

Work: Well I have a background in accounting and marketing. 

Several companies have expressed interest in hiring me and I have a meeting with a lawyer regarding my Visa.