SuperMeetup NYC

braid

I end up in Chinatown a lot, so: I like Great NY Noodletown for roast meats, e-fu noodles, salt-baked squid/shrimp, good for late-night and small groups. 456 Shanghai for soup dumplings, cold dishes, sheng jian bao, scallion pancake with egg and beef, other breakfast-y type things (although had a sick NYE dinner here -- can't remember all we had, but duck was decent and there was a sauteed fish filet dish that was banging). Willy Cheesesteak put me on to Noodlestown (née Big Wing Wong) which is as good as I remember Big Wong King being back in the day (roasted meats, duck noodle soup, congee, etc). Noodle Village for a nicer environment for some of the same, but their wontons are especially good. Good beef tendon, too. Bo Ky for country braised duck, noodle soups, and their in-house hot/satay sauce is off the hook. I could put it on everything. Lam Zhou under the bridge makes my favorite dumplings in the city -- pan fried or boiled. Noodles are good, too, but I prefer to do no soup -- minced pork dry noodle instead. Peking Duck House for peking duck and not much else.

Random other places I'd be happy to end up any time of day/night:

The Breslin

any of the Momos (Ssam Bar is a favorite, but Ma Peche is underrated/appreciated)

Hearth (Hen of the Woods mushroom, every time)

best version of chicken tikka masala I've ever had at Malai Marke (not like the rest of the Indian restos on that block)

Motorino for pizza (brussels sprouts or sopressata)

cannot get enough of Mighty Quinn's bbq

Minetta Tavern

Smith & Wollensky (I know it's a chain, but if any other steakhouse in the city does a better prime rib, I haven't tried it -- not to mention their prime rib hash is fucking insane)

Tacos Morelos cart (I go to one on 2nd and A, but I know they're elsewhere)

taco cart on 6th ave btwn 28th and 29th (I think it's called Antojitos)

hot dog from Charlie's Beef that sets up outside of FIT is the only street dog I trust (snappy all-natural casing, and the man takes pride in his cart and product)

Mission Chinese -- they certainly don't need more praise, but I ride for this dude. The waits are too insane, though.

Hot Kitchen -- mei shan beef every time, but I haven't had a bad sichuan-type dish here yet

Brindle Room is still turning out a great QPR burger -- even if you're a med-rare guy, get it medium. The blend is fatty enough that it can take it (it's better for it). Also, had a surprisingly good burger at Allswell on Bedford in Williamsburg last night -- googling now, past reports say it's not dry-aged meat, but I can't believe it. They may have changed it? There was funk throughout in the best way.

I end up in Chinatown a lot, so: I like Great NY Noodletown for roast meats, e-fu noodles, salt-baked squid/shrimp, good for late-night and small groups. 456 Shanghai for soup dumplings, cold dishes, sheng jian bao, scallion pancake with egg and beef, other breakfast-y type things (although had a sick NYE dinner here -- can't remember all we had, but duck was decent and there was a sauteed fish filet dish that was banging). Willy Cheesesteak put me on to Noodlestown (née Big Wing Wong) which is as good as I remember Big Wong King being back in the day (roasted meats, duck noodle soup, congee, etc). Noodle Village for a nicer environment for some of the same, but their wontons are especially good. Good beef tendon, too. Bo Ky for country braised duck, noodle soups, and their in-house hot/satay sauce is off the hook. I could put it on everything. Lam Zhou under the bridge makes my favorite dumplings in the city -- pan fried or boiled. Noodles are good, too, but I prefer to do no soup -- minced pork dry noodle instead. Peking Duck House for peking duck and not much else.

Random other places I'd be happy to end up any time of day/night:

The Breslin

any of the Momos (Ssam Bar is a favorite, but Ma Peche is underrated/appreciated)

Hearth (Hen of the Woods mushroom, every time)

best version of chicken tikka masala I've ever had at Malai Marke (not like the rest of the Indian restos on that block)

Motorino for pizza (brussels sprouts or sopressata)

cannot get enough of Mighty Quinn's bbq

Minetta Tavern

Smith & Wollensky (I know it's a chain, but if any other steakhouse in the city does a better prime rib, I haven't tried it -- not to mention their prime rib hash is fucking insane)

Tacos Morelos cart (I go to one on 2nd and A, but I know they're elsewhere)

taco cart on 6th ave btwn 28th and 29th (I think it's called Antojitos)

hot dog from Charlie's Beef that sets up outside of FIT is the only street dog I trust (snappy all-natural casing, and the man takes pride in his cart and product)

Mission Chinese -- they certainly don't need more praise, but I ride for this dude. The waits are too insane, though.

Hot Kitchen -- mei shan beef every time, but I haven't had a bad sichuan-type dish here yet

Brindle Room is still turning out a great QPR burger -- even if you're a med-rare guy, get it medium. The blend is fatty enough that it can take it (it's better for it). Also, had a surprisingly good burger at Allswell on Bedford in Williamsburg last night -- googling now, past reports say it's not dry-aged meat, but I can't believe it. They may have changed it? There was funk throughout in the best way.

got any recommendations for midtown near the empire state building? I work near there and my rotation of chipotle, guy & gallard, fork & spoon, and tina's sucks

I work near the ESB, too (low 30s near 6th ave). It's tough in this lower midtown type area. If I don't bring lunch, I try to keep lunch purchases under $10, so my recommendations may be none too exotic, but here are my go-tos:

Koreatown -- lots of options. I usually go Woorijip for by the lb steam table buffet, but it's been crazier and crazier lately as far as being packed ALL THE TIME

Main Noodle House -- not great, not bad. roast pork wonton noodle soup. I like that they pack the soup separately if you take to go

No. 7 Sub is good, but I have a hangup about expensive sandwiches. Not that they're not worth it, but, fuck.

Chandni Indian, across from the Ace

Fuji Bakery for Chinese pick 2/pick 3 over rice for 5-6 bucks, and decent Chinese bakery items, dim sum

Antojitos - the mexican cart that sets up on 6th btwn 28th and 29th for tacos, tortas, stuff over rice and beans

NY Pizza Suprema -- textbook ideal NY slice near the big post office on 8th ave

Larb Ubol -- a new favorite. more of a hike to 9th ave, but worth it for some pretty standout northern thai. maybe they deliver?

La Vie En Szechuan -- haven't been yet but all reports sound good. actually, there's a lot of good sichuan chinese in the area. I just never think to do sichuan for lunch.

B&D Halal on 29th between 6th and 7th -- west african by the lb buffet. I dont remember seeing a posted price, but it always comes out cheap. a lot of variety, and the stuff is always good.

Or say fuck it, go to Keen's and get a mutton chop.

Edited by american_hearts

i'm closer to times square on broadway so my range is a little different, but if you have the time to travel a little bit further here are a couple of standout places:

Sergimmo Salumeria 9th and 35th - delicious but expensive

Hero Boy 9th and 38th - the six foot hero originated here, delicious chicken parm and other italian food for better prices

Cafe China 37th and 5th - michelin starred chinese food with a decent lunch special

and if you are a coffee fan, Culture Espresso is on 6th and 38th is pretty good

fuck hale and hearty and guy and gallard

I work near the ESB, too (low 30s near 6th ave). It's tough in this lower midtown type area. If I don't bring lunch, I try to keep lunch purchases under $10, so my recommendations may be none too exotic, but here are my go-tos:

Koreatown -- lots of options. I usually go Woorijip for by the lb steam table buffet, but it's been crazier and crazier lately as far as being packed ALL THE TIME

Main Noodle House -- not great, not bad. roast pork wonton noodle soup. I like that they pack the soup separately if you take to go

No. 7 Sub is good, but I have a hangup about expensive sandwiches. Not that they're not worth it, but, fuck.

Chandni Indian, across from the Ace

Fuji Bakery for Chinese pick 2/pick 3 over rice for 5-6 bucks, and decent Chinese bakery items, dim sum

Antojitos - the mexican cart that sets up on 6th btwn 28th and 29th for tacos, tortas, stuff over rice and beans

NY Pizza Suprema -- textbook ideal NY slice near the big post office on 8th ave

Larb Ubol -- a new favorite. more of a hike to 9th ave, but worth it for some pretty standout northern thai. maybe they deliver?

La Vie En Szechuan -- haven't been yet but all reports sound good. actually, there's a lot of good sichuan chinese in the area. I just never think to do sichuan for lunch.

B&D Halal on 29th between 6th and 7th -- west african by the lb buffet. I dont remember seeing a posted price, but it always comes out cheap. a lot of variety, and the stuff is always good.

Or say fuck it, go to Keen's and get a mutton chop.

thanks, will check some of these out and see if they deliver

I'm in the mid 30s on madison ave and im too lazy to go that far for pickup for most of the places you listed

i actually had main noodle house before but it's on/off a lot of times for me.

not food request, but a cheap good tailor?

would like to tailor some muji chinos

define cheap

i went to the tailoring room in the les for a hem and taper for $25

You can try the place across the street from Epaulet. Same block as self edge but on like corner of orchard and rivington. I had pants hemmed there for like $6, never did anything beyond a hem, though. If you do go here, i'd suggest you set a clear date you want the pants by and call them a few days before to make sure they're working on it. The first time i dropped off pants, i said i'd be back in 2 weeks and they told me to call before i went and when i called they pushed date back a few more days

Edited by Thatboyo

much oblige guys.

for a point of reference, in LA my go to tailor was 6 ish for a hem and maybe less than 10 bucks for a taper.

25 bucks is not bad, but anything less than 20 for both jobs is pretty good.

ill check out those places you guys suggested and give them a call for a price quote. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...