If this earns me an infraction, then word up

jeepster

So here's an honest question. It's completely an a-religious, a-racial, a-whatever sorta deal. More or less an existential musing that I wanna pose to the masses of supertrash and whoever frequents this site, sees what we do here, and laughs at the collective nature of the internet. But forget all that for a moment. And this has no negative or threatening sort of implications to people who hold certain beliefs or are part of a belief system, etc., but I just wanna know:

Is there a God?

I for one am not a religious person but, though I have interest in the culture of my religion, I've never actually thought or made up some definitive association in my mind that if at any point in the course of human history, a being so omnipotent and powerful had total control over the fate of all things.

I just don't see it happening. And while I think all that mysticism shit is cool in the Hollywood sense, I don't see much in it.

So as a completely independent thought, removed from an prior notion; Is there a God?

Just something I find myself wondering sometimes.

Mods, feel free to delete if you think this might cause a problem. Not out to hurt any feelings. It is the internet after all.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what you call it, there is something out there greater than you.

At least that's what I think.

For the record I'm Roman Catholic. Catholicism teaches you discipline, so

much so that you don't even need to believe in god, just as long as you're a good Catholic.

:)

after 12 years of catholic school, i kind of revolted against it.

my son is in religious ed cause we've found that kids who grow up heathens have nothing to rebel against. figure he'll come to his own +/- conclusions when he's old enough.

it's funny, but religion causes so many problems but a total lack of belief/regard for what's right and wrong causes just as many.

there's nothing wrong with asking, but there is something wrong with asking and being condemned.

personally though, i don't believe in a supreme being.

i believe in cause and effect and paths and shit like that. for example, if you drink water or something sooner or later you're gonna have to take a piss. no one controls that. or maybe you choose not to drink anything, you're gonna dehydrate and die.

=\

i'm not too good at explaining, but basically you are responsible for yourself and your actions and whatnot.

there's nothing wrong with asking, but there is something wrong with asking and being condemned.

personally though, i don't believe in a supreme being.

i believe in cause and effect and paths and shit like that. for example, if you drink water or something sooner or later you're gonna have to take a piss. no one controls that. or maybe you choose not to drink anything, you're gonna dehydrate and die.

=\

i'm not too good at explaining, but basically you are responsible for yourself and your actions and whatnot.

well your last statement makes more sense then the water example. That's a purely biological function.

I dunno, there is some creeping suspicion in me that regardless of fate or whether something is supposed to happen by destiny or providence or what have you, there is nothing out there that is greater than ourselves save for the responsibilities we chose to embrace.

It could all be a crapshoot and maybe there is something out there. Maybe god is in the internet. When my parents see me wasting hours on end browsing the darkest depths of the internet, I always tell them I'm trying to find god in the ether we seem to be drawn to. Maybe there's something to it?

i think everyone has their own relationship with "god". i was born a muslim, but i dont do muslim actions anymore.

i used to be pretty religious, wearing a scarf and praying 5x a day...but after all the bullshit i went through i just sorta stopped.

i still believe in god, i just have my own religion with him.

yeah haha i couldnt think of a better example.

:P

i grew up buddhist, believing that by praying and respecting the monks at the temple my grandparents took me to would somehow benefit me in someway, but i never knew what way that was. i've always hated being uncertain about things. so i just stopped.

i think the thing that attracted me was, well first of all i was a kid, the mystical stories and myths about finding enlightenment and self that my grandpa would tell me. i ate that shit up like it was candy.

raised roman catholic in a hispanic household, which came with a lot of syncretism... folk beliefs, santeria, etc etc.

had a very deep interest in the occult and whatnot growing up... still do, sort of.

i believe in higher powers, but i suppose not in the traditional islamojudeochristian mold. i still say things referring to "god" but, i dont necessarily mean whitey mcbeardo.

overarching everything, though, is my belief in chaos. chaos is

the end-all, be-all of the universe. hail eris.

Well, just to chip in on farther down the spectrum, I'm a completely atheistic. I believe it's possible, maybe probable that humans don't even occupy the world we think we do, or rather, the world we perceive, but for all practical purposes, there is no God. I'd be glad to give my reasons if any one cares, but I generally describe myself as a militant atheist, in the sense that I actively despise religion and think any sort of God figure is generally used as a way for those in power to control the lower class. We might be a bunch of brains floating in space, our whole world a dream, and our floating brains or our "awake" minds might be ruled by a God, but on this earth, in any practical, pragmatist sense, I see absolutely no evidence in favor of God and overwhelming evidence that there is no such being.

Im agnostic. Im not sure if there is a god but I am not ruling out anything.

edit:

I was brought up roman catholic and went to catholic school most of my academic life. One day I "smartened/dummbed up"

Well, just to chip in on farther down the spectrum, I'm a completely atheistic. I believe it's possible, maybe probable that humans don't even occupy the world we think we do, or rather, the world we perceive, but for all practical purposes, there is no God. I'd be glad to give my reasons if any one cares, but I generally describe myself as a militant atheist, in the sense that I actively despise religion and think any sort of God figure is generally used as a way for those in power to control the lower class. We might be a bunch of brains floating in space, our whole world a dream, and our floating brains or our "awake" minds might be ruled by a God, but on this earth, in any practical, pragmatist sense, I see absolutely no evidence in favor of God and overwhelming evidence that there is no such being.

and Neo IS the one

i think neptunecitylocal said it best, you should be responsible for your own actions. although some teachings in religious texts are good-hearted, i absolutely despise the idea of people saying it's all part of god's plan or karma etc. as a scapegoat for their actions/decisions

other things that make me believe there is no god(s):

- sometimes it seems that god portrayed in religious texts is merely a personification of the sun

- many major religions share an uncanny amount of highly similar elements; i.e. it's just a nice story with some good morals

- the ridiculousness of the story; god made everything in seven days, in the dark.

on a related note, i didn't like how my parents tried to make me believe there is an afterlife, a soul, what have you; i think kunk's method of having the children figure it out for themselves is good

I think you're all on the right track. Believe or don't believe, it doesn't matter. When your all alone at the end of the day you know what's right and what's wrong (and I'm not talking about religion, just simple base truths).

Your morels and ethics are what mark your path through this life. How do you want to live your life? With a heart filled with happiness, or a soul wrought with regrets?

Find happiness however, or wherever you can.

I'm a beleiver

To reiterate what others have said I grew up with religion and rebeled against it but found as time passed that I couldn't help but find truth in it.

However the bearded white robed 'GOD' that we all can't help picturing is misleading I would think whateveryouwannacallit is something completley beyond comprehension

I think all religions come from the same source those similarities to me are too numerous if you really investigate

The biggest challenge as ironman points out is science vs mysticism/faith but couldn't both be true? evidence for evolution and the creation of the universe is irrefutably proven by science but that doesn't mean that it has no purpose or design. Even Einstein admitted that he believed there was a 'mystical core to the universe'.

The most important thing though is to make up your own mind whatever you decide that you beleive.

For those who are religious, would you be mad if you went to hell and found out that you picked the wrong religion?

Is there a religion that's Dogma actually says all other religions are heathens?

Besides Christianity?

:)

i'm christian, go to church when I can and all that. Oddly, I was "Saved" my freshman year of college, it was decently random and I was in church with a girl i just wanted to go out with, never thinking it would change my life. I was raised catholic but it never really clicked, i guess i needed something way more personal.

At the end of the day, death scares the shit out of me. I think it does a lot of people, and i think that's where a lot of the ceremonies and rituals come from: wanting to ultimately please assorted God's enough to get into the good afterlife.

But I do think "what if i'm doing it wrong? what if i chose the wrong one" all of the time. My justification comes when i'm on the train, at work, or wherever thinking "fuck my life, i'm doing everything wrong and there's absolutely no way i'm going to be successful in meeting the standards of any God", and after i'm done going crazy, I just get a little wave of comfort. it's not like i'm possessed, no other-worldly type thing...just comfort. Thats what really keeps me going, knowing that whichever God i'm listening to and talking to knows i'm trying, and knows i have the best intentions.

i like to think supertalk is where normally decent and reserved individuals come to blow off steam and make fun of each other, however we are capable of serious conversations at points. this may be one of them, who knows

I will say that my answers usually come in the form of reading cereal boxes, staring blankly at magazines, mowing the lawn, etc...so the forums have plenty of potential

I feel like "I'm 17 so I have time to figure things out and make some decisions." I don't want to make some outlandish commitment/statement and then go back on that later in life. I'm going to get through school/further education and hopefully have it all figured out a little after that based on my experiences.

I would have to say I am leaning towards the prospect of some god/benevolent spirit/one being. But then another part of me chalks that up to me being weak minded and not able to accept the fact that cosmically, none of this shit actually makes any difference in anything. Which is odd because this doesn't mean anything to this, my frame of reference. That is of course, assuming this is all there is; there is no outside of this. But if this is all there is, then this must make a difference in something...