WTB: dSLR for n00bs

junglejane

hey, photography n00b here. I have been wanting a DSLR camera for awhile and I was thinking about getting an entry-level standard such as the nikon d40 or the xti to start learning, and maybe eventually trade up. I was thinking about getting a new d40 for around $500, but would be happier to pay less for a used one. HOOK ME UP YO!

Amazon has the Nikon D40 for $465. A huge plus for Nikon is they use SD cards, which are much cheaper then Compact Flash.

Between an Canon XT and D40 I felt the D40 was more solid.

Another alternative is Sony A200, and can be had for about $360 if you open a Sony Credit Card. Feel free to PM me for details.

I would go with the D40, you don't need more then 6.1 megapixels, and save up for a VR lens and you are good to go.

dpreview.com all you ever needed to know about the d40 or d60 (and any other camera you may be interested in). I may get a d60 soon just based on the slightly faster shoot/record times than the d40 (and some other differences.) And not to mention the affordability. But do check craigslist. I found plenty of deals in my area. Good luck.

thanks guys for your opinions. I am torn between the d40 and the XT... I posted a 'give me your opinion' in the DSLR threak.

and BTW, I am in Italy... I am jealous that all the deals are to hbe had in the US. after shipping it is looking to be more convenient to just add a bit more and buy one new here.. but it all depends on the deal!

not gonna be much help cause i have pretty much always owned canon and never really used a nikon

i have a canon xti and love it

get a decent lens and u should be good to go

however, if you want, i have the "starter" lens (ef-s 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6) that they sell with the starter xti kit (i have since upgraded) which u can have (my friend let me have it when i first got the xti body) if u want to pay for shipping and promise to pass it on when u upgrade..j/k..u dont need to promise nothing. not a great lens but at least u can play around and save $50-70.

comparisons

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

http://photo.net/equipment/35mm/canon-v-nikon

not gonna be much help cause i have pretty much always owned canon and never really used a nikon

i have a canon xti and love it

get a decent lens and u should be good to go

however, if you want, i have the "starter" lens (ef-s 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6) that they sell with the starter xti kit (i have since upgraded) which u can have (my friend let me have it when i first got the xti body) if u want to pay for shipping and promise to pass it on when u upgrade..j/k..u dont need to promise nothing. not a great lens but at least u can play around and save $50-70.

comparisons

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

http://photo.net/equipment/35mm/canon-v-nikon

Hope on this deal Jane. You can get a XTi body for relatively cheap. And this is a great lens to play and practice on. Eventually you want to go wide, but this lens will be good for at least a few months.

I suggest buying a new one instead of used. I paid around 500$ for my D40 kit, and I got a free printer, case, photography lessons, 50$ giftcard etc. Try looking for deals on new kits.

And if you do decide to buy a new DSLR, try going for a Canon rebel xti. I went with Nikon, but the Xti has more megapixels I believe and countless other specs that trump the D40, and I believe it is cheaper. Just a suggestion.

hmm i was in your position a while back and was considering the d40 but ended up getting the d80. you should go to your local electronics retailer and actually handle nikons + canons to see which one you like better.. i ended up going with the nikon mainly because of the build quality. canon plastic felt cheap and weak compared to nikons but im sure there are others that will disagree with me.

I suggest buying a new one instead of used. I paid around 500$ for my D40 kit, and I got a free printer, case, photography lessons, 50$ giftcard etc. Try looking for deals on new kits.

And if you do decide to buy a new DSLR, try going for a Canon rebel xti. I went with Nikon, but the Xti has more megapixels I believe and countless other specs that trump the D40, and I believe it is cheaper. Just a suggestion.

hmm i was in your position a while back and was considering the d40 but ended up getting the d80. you should go to your local electronics retailer and actually handle nikons + canons to see which one you like better.. i ended up going with the nikon mainly because of the build quality. canon plastic felt cheap and weak compared to nikons but im sure there are others that will disagree with me.

thats one of the reasons i went with the xti..although megapixels is highly overrated unless you are going to print large pics

and when making my choice....and playing with friends nikons...canons had a better feel to me...though i added a battery grip cause i have big hands.........