Worst Hospital Experience Thread

_ironman

when i was born, i had a rather noticable case of a cleft lip. i had many surgeries to try and fix it, taking skin from under my lower lip and chin etc.

anyways, so i was at SickKids hospital for another surgery, laying on the operating table and i just got sleeping gassed or whatever it's called. then, for some reason, i wake up, but i'm still on the table. so i'm thinking wtf but the doctor apparently turned off the gas just to ask me how i'm doing before he started

so i was awake and just about to answer, "yeah i'm fine" when the nurse stabbed the thick intravenous needle right into my fist. i fell right back asleep/unconscious, probably out of shock. i'm pretty sure i wasn't supposed to be awake for that. it was the worst pain i ever felt. i got owned.

what's your story?

i woke up at a hospital to see my clothes covered in blood with my face killing me a pounding headache and looked down and saw my inpatient bracelet only had my first name on it. this was all at 4 in the morning. i had apparently taken a bat to my face twice by a el salvadorian gangster who weighted in somewhere in the neighborhood of 375lbs as later explained to me by my so called friends who got me in that shit mess and left my ass at the hospital. yea awesome. concusion number 7 and a broken nose... sucked just finished paying the bills last year (it happened in late 02)

i didnt get circumsized until i was like 11 (long story as to why my parents waited so damn long) anyway, the bad part didnt really happen at the hospital but after when i had to take the bandages off my dick and the gauze was stuck to the dried blood and shit...definately cried like a bitch and probably still would. the next couple of weeks sucked quite a bit since my newly exposed skin was sensitive, so it hurt to move if i was wearing pants

worst experience so far? having a 22 gauge needle pop out of my port (chest area) during infusion and because it wasn't complete they had to stab, literally PUSH that sucker back into my chest, quickly, without any type of anesthesia.

i learned two new things though, 1) the smaller the number is, the bigger the circumference of the needle would be. 2) if you stick your chest out it actually helps lessen the pressure that causes that damn needle to pop out.

yeah

you use 16 for blood donations and what not. 22 is like for old folks and peds.

ERs use larger needles

broke my ankle playing basketball. collided with a guy on a 3 man lay up drill, fucking kid wasn't watching where he was supposed to go, i weaved, he ducked, took out my leg. went to the doctor the next day, found out i popped the large ligament on my insole and broke a minor bone just above the growth plate in my ankle. the popping sound i heard when i broke it was the ligament completely going slack and ripping in two, rather than the bone.

anyways, after i found this out, the doctor told me i could either go with break the bone fully on either side and letting it heal or getting a plate and 5 screws on it. i opted for the plate + screws option. went under for about 1.5 hours, and now am only 99.7% human. stayed overnight in the hospital, had to pee like, 4,000,000 times, i didn't know pain until i had to hop on my left foot to the toilet and negotiate the lamest pair of boxers that i only wore once (this pair), somehow, they kept buttoning up after i would go...

DSC_1100-1.jpg

still swells ridiculously if i play ball to hard or run too much. even walking around NYC does a number on it.

22 gauge is actually considered a small guage as far as IV's go.

i hope so

i always request the smallest one, as small as i can get away with..

port doesn't matter for me cos either way its stuck and usually they use emla creme first..

but when they draw blood............

i just hate needles.

joey formal - damn that sucks bad. how much was the bill?

clopek - are you serious? didn't know one can be overcircumsized

whitney - although it seems your needle was smaller....holy shit needle to the chest? may i ask what it was for?

pavlova - wtf so the ambulance just told you that you'd be aight and sent you home?

jeepster - would breaking the bone and letting it heal have yielded a better recovery?

also, does anyone else feel that anaesthetics don't really work? like a situation when they perform procedures while you're awake. i've recall two instances where i could still feel it, but the anaesthetics seem to make the pain less severe. i ask because the doctors always said i won't feel a thing

EW l ESPECIALLY HATE IT WHEN NEEDLES ARE IN YOUR BODY!

hah, mine stayed in too..for about a week at a time..

whitney - although it seems your needle was smaller....holy shit needle to the chest? may i ask what it was for?

also, does anyone else feel that anaesthetics don't really work? like a situation when they perform procedures while you're awake. i've recall two instances where i could still feel it, but the anaesthetics seem to make the pain less severe. i ask because the doctors always said i won't feel a thing

2415016280_67c290f786.jpg

for the elma creme they used to numb the injection site it worked WONDERFULLY the first few times..couldn't feel anything but the pressure..but i think gradually my body got used to it? and it wasn't quite as effective

I was sitting there, in my room, drinking some orange juice when that old lady started walking around, yelling /crying "Come back (someone's name), come backk! Oh no, he's gone. They won't have me!". Then she pulled down her panties and started shitting.

hardcore man

whitney - wow that must suck going to the hospital a lot, hope you don't have to go as often anymore. but at least you got a cool info card :)

jmatsu - ouch indeed. when i saw my doctor one time, she said it wouldn't hurt to get tested. she tested me for hiv and all the other stuff, but i never had to have that happen...just had to draw like 8 vials of blood =/

sistersuzie - were you young when this happened? i think that'd be traumatic if you were young but actually kinda funny if you were older lol

Well I am an army medic so most of my experiences have been on the witnessing side, not the receiving side but here it goes:

In 2006 - while training at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio - a patient with psychiatric issues came in to the ED. He was an older, fatter gentleman, who was very psychotic and refused to stay in his hospital bed to be examined; so myself, another medic, a nurse and two cops tried to restain him. One of the cops was holding his waist and while we attempted to take of his clothes, we experienced tension on his midsection as we tugged at his shirt. All of a sudden - as the shirt was torn from his body - a colostomy bag was revealed, which became breached and started leaking its contents all over the patient and the bed causing a foul odor for the record books throughout the ED. Realizing what had happened the confused and agitated patient grabbed the bag and beg squeezing and waving the bag around casuing its contents to spray all over the exam room and its occupants. Everybody was hit, with the excpetion of myself who escaped with just a bit of GI juice on my scrubs and gloves. The mess was unbearable and the ED was ordered to be evacuated pending the cleanup. One of the cops summed up the mess and its odor best: "I've smelled three week rotting corpses that smelled like roses compared to this".

hah, mine stayed in too..for about a week at a time..

2415016280_67c290f786.jpg

for the elma creme they used to numb the injection site it worked WONDERFULLY the first few times..couldn't feel anything but the pressure..but i think gradually my body got used to it? and it wasn't quite as effective

Well that looks pretty unpleasent. Looks like you finished treatment in early 2003, so I guess that makes you 5+ years without relapse? Congrats!

Did you know they now give a monoclonal antibody (Rituximab) for Burkitt's, and other types of non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma? It specifically attaches to the cancer cells and fucks them up. Pretty cool to see that the treatement has moved on in just a few years.

I have just finished chemo for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and have a scan in a week or so to see if it worked. I never had a port though, fortunately I don't mind injections anymore, plus I have good veins so the nurses usually get it in first time.

Worst experience thus far is probably a bone marrow biopsy: you lie on your side and someone sticks a thick needle in your pelvis and sucks out your bone marrow. I foolishly refused the sedative offered so I could go out for a drink later that day. I felt a definate sucking sensation in my left leg/hip, however that was probably just the doctor drilling into the bone. Despite the doc telling me "there are no nerve endings in the bone" I still screamed like a bitch for the whole procedure. Fortunately tests on the marrow extracted showed that it was cancer free!

This isn't really that exciting, but when I was very young I would run if the doctor wanted to give me a shot, so in order to make me have one, they had to hold me down. But I squirmed around a lot, so at one point they decided just to get the doctor, three nurses and my mom and dad to hold me while they gave me shots in my feet. And, it worked.

Seeing the lifeless body of my gramps on a hospital bed. And after 3 or 4 weeks, seeing the lifeless body of my mother in a hospital bed.

Those have to be the worst hospital experiences of my life.

a friend of mine was waiting for an operation on his knee cause he tore the ligaments. he was in the waiting room in a wheelchair next to a dude who was going for a open heart surgery. the surgeons were late so they rushed my friend into the operating room, put him on the operating table, and put the gas mask on to administer GA. At that very moment, the surgeon also took a red marker and marked a huge X across his heart. My pal freaked, jumped off the table and said, yo im getting a fuckin knee surgery.

they got the 2 patients mixed up, and he was that close to ending up with the wrong op.

wow my experience is not nearly as badass as like, waking up to blood-stained clothing after getting a baseball bat to the head...

my knuckle was ripped open by a GUINEA PIG ahahah, but there was a surprising amount of blood and my bone was exposed (fierce piggy...).

i was in the waiting room with an entire role of paper towel around my hand, which was already completely soaked. there was this little girl there, like five maybe, choking on a piece of lego. She was struggling to breathe and making all these awful sounds, and her mom was freaking out at the receptionist, who was all "whateva" about the whole thing, and kept telling her to wait her turn

Probably what happened to my little bro;

My whole family were at this bbq with some family friends. The most annoying ADD kids i've ever come across. I was only about 10 at the time. My mum and I went off in the car I think to pick another one of my brothers up and bring him back to the house.

We came back to screaming and shouting, so we asked what was wrong.

Apparently the other family's kids had tied my brother to their bunk bed (playing some stupid ass game) and were "holding him hostage" with a slingshot. In the slingshot was a 50p coin (for those who don't know its big and has rigid edges). So anyway his hand must have slipped and the coin went straight into my brothers eye, ripping his cornea open.

So I walk into the room where they all are and my brother's screaming like mad. He looks at me and one of his eyes is just dripping with blood. Scary as hell.

Anyway, we go to the hospital and i guess the worst part was just waiting to see if he was going to be blind in one eye or not : / (he wasn't)

Pretty traumatic at age 10 haha.

In 2001 I was walking home slightly intoxicated from a party near my house. I jumped onto this wet guard rail to cross a highway, not realizing it was wet, when i put my feet on it i slipped off and landed with a closed fist. My hand was fucked, I went home and got my mum to drive me to a hospital. Waited in the hospital from 5 in the morning till 10am, saw a doctor, doctor got an x-ray of it and said it was swollen or bruised, and said to wait till it stops swelling and see if it still hurts. Fucking idiot. A week later, I was still in mass amounts of pain. Went to another hospital in my area to get it looked at again. Waited ages in the waiting room like from 6 at night till 2 in the morning. The doctor there said the same thing, doesn't look broken, just bruised. Then about 3 days after that i went to the first hospital I went to, saw another doctor. I told them i was still in the same amount of pain, or even worse than when it happened. He booked me into to get mri scan. Had to wait 3 days, then when i got the scan, they found the index finger knuckle to have been broken into 7 different pieces. After that I had to wait another week to go in and get it operated on, then had to have my hand wrapped up for like 4 weeks.

Probably what happened to my little bro;

My whole family were at this bbq with some family friends. The most annoying ADD kids i've ever come across. I was only about 10 at the time. My mum and I went off in the car I think to pick another one of my brothers up and bring him back to the house.

We came back to screaming and shouting, so we asked what was wrong.

Apparently the other family's kids had tied my brother to their bunk bed (playing some stupid ass game) and were "holding him hostage" with a slingshot. In the slingshot was a 50p coin (for those who don't know its big and has rigid edges). So anyway his hand must have slipped and the coin went straight into my brothers eye, ripping his cornea open.

So I walk into the room where they all are and my brother's screaming like mad. He looks at me and one of his eyes is just dripping with blood. Scary as hell.

Anyway, we go to the hospital and i guess the worst part was just waiting to see if he was going to be blind in one eye or not : / (he wasn't)

Pretty traumatic at age 10 haha.

Woooh that made me think of something. A few years ago (I think it's something like 8 years ago actually haha). My father was working in the garage and he had to go in the house (that isn't attached to the garage). So he told my brothers to not touch anything that he would be back soon. They were like 7yo and 11yo at the time. The older one decided to swing a 10lbs hammer thing, he told the younger one to not go behing him, but you know what happens when you ask something to kids... The older one swang the hammer as the younger was walking behind him, he was knocked 1/2 inch next to his eye. So my older brother came inside the house with my little brother in his arms, half conscious, bleeding like a mother fucker. He didn't cry 'til he noticed all the blood on his jacket. He had 7 stitches and was really lucky to not lose his eye.

wow. old lady shitting.

tell us more.

I was about 15 or 16 when it happens I think. So I wasn't really traumatized, but it's pretty sad and fucked up to see.

There's not that much to add, aside from the fact that when she "finished", she started yelling "I shitted my pants, I shitted my pants!"

The poor lady didn't have all of her brains