Top 5 Post-Couture Designers

geekbonchic

^

nowaibs7.jpg

ghesquiere does not deserve his hype. seriously... all of his "trademarks" and the things people hold him in such high regard for are absolute rehashes of concepts developed by cristobal over 50+ years ago.

anyway I guess I'd say...

the CDG designers

mcqueen

miyake

lang

yohji

+chayalan+margiela+westwood+lists make me nervous o:

Smack myself for forgetting Chalayan!

ghesquiere does not deserve his hype. seriously... all of his "trademarks" and the things people hold him in such high regard for are absolute rehashes of concepts developed by cristobal over 50+ years ago.

anyway I guess I'd say...

the CDG designers

mcqueen

miyake

lang

yohji

+chayalan+margiela+westwood+lists make me nervous o:

I am biased because I am a die-hard fan of Ghesquiere... although I dislike how hyped to infinity he is...mostly because he is hyped to the same annoying level as Dolce and Gabbana are (who never deserve anything). in editorials this year, how many freaking times did we see the balenciaga floral dresses and the handpainted dresses D&G did? and the past season, that fucking ugly metal corset? it is so blatant that editorials are high-end ads for the new "it" items rather than an artistic composition of beautiful clothes, models and locations. if I see another jumping model in vogue I will go into a coma.

I agree that NG rehashes cristobal's work, but he modernizes it pretty well. I would go so far as to say he does rehashed, modernized Cristobal better than his "own" designs:o

I am having trouble compiling a list.

JJ I agreee... I don't hate ghesquiere or anything but I'll never see him as an innovator until he stops basing his designs only around cristobal's concepts. I do agree he does a great job on modernizing them but I'd love to see what he could do on a clear canvas so to speak. I didnt mean to sound completely negative about him overall... I will wear the hell out of most of his clothes :o:P

yeah I totally see what you mean... he doesn't strike me as the innovator he's hyped up to be either... most of his collections pre f-w 06 (when it was more "him" than cristobal) struck me as good, but not earth-shattering... I mean, the neon chains with the flowy dresses and the jungle-print scuba dresses? not my cup of tea!

I am very curious to see where he goes though... balenciaga alwats is the show that I am most excited to see come paris fashion week :P

i think ghesquire is important in the same way marc jacobs is (for lack of a better example... marc jacobs isn't really important), and also like the 'business' names like ralph lauren or sean combs (although ghesquire of course holds more merit). and yes he is hyped but the fact that he is loved by sexy women who dress well can't be denied (gainsbourg, kate moss, maggie cheung etc-none of whom are really influenced by the general population but rather the opposite). maybe he'd be in the top 10...

I would also like to throw Calvin Klein up there as an important designer for simplifying clothes, but I wouldn't say his designs were groundbreaking, just pleasing.

I'm not a big fan of over-embellishment, so I don't necessarily like Lagerfeld or Galliano. I used to see Chanel as the brand a classy woman would wear. Now, with his trendy new bags each season, young girls are strutting around with them and ruining the class associated with the brand. However, I think Lagerfeld proved that he can still make a Chanel suit the right way this season. I get tired of Galliano. When I look at fashion, I try to think of an occasion to which you can wear a certain outfit and I don't see his designs changing with the times. But that only goes to show that he's doing his job right, making people appreciate all the nonsense he creates. If that makes sense.

I'm curious as to what Yves Saint Laurent designed while at Dior. I can't imagine his style being anything like Christian Dior's.

I would also like to throw Calvin Klein up there as an important designer for simplifying clothes, but I wouldn't say his designs were groundbreaking, just pleasing.

I'm not a big fan of over-embellishment, so I don't necessarily like Lagerfeld or Galliano. I used to see Chanel as the brand a classy woman would wear. Now, with his trendy new bags each season, young girls are strutting around with them and ruining the class associated with the brand. However, I think Lagerfeld proved that he can still make a Chanel suit the right way this season. I get tired of Galliano. When I look at fashion, I try to think of an occasion to which you can wear a certain outfit and I don't see his designs changing with the times. But that only goes to show that he's doing his job right, making people appreciate all the nonsense he creates. If that makes sense.

I'm curious as to what Yves Saint Laurent designed while at Dior. I can't imagine his style being anything like Christian Dior's.

Seriously?

Yeah, I thought about how I would garner that kind of response after I said it. I meant the way that Christian Dior was all about the "New Look" and the big busts and skinny waists while I think of YSL being about the bold pantsuit and the tuxedo which is just about as far away from the New Look as you could get. Yes, YSL made couture that was very opulent (Now that I look back, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was CD couture), maybe even wacky, but I don't see that as HIS biggest contribution.

The Trapeze collection pretty much ensured that the houseremained on top the couture world after Dior's death. I would certainly argue that his own stuff and Rive Gauche were perhaps more influential, but his collections for Dior are still highlights of the post-World War II era.

Basically he simplified the CD silhouette and made it wearable by a wider swat of (balling) women in various situations.

Do a search for Christian Dior trapèze or something similar, Geekbonchic knows his stuff.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f116/1958-1960-christian-dior-under-yves-saint-laurent-53752.html

When I used to work at Nordstrom, one of my co-worker's mom was a slave to Balenciaga. The staff at Barneys literally called her the moment the entire collection arrived and held one of every item in her size for when she came in. Bitch would usually buy 75-90% of every collection. B.A.L.L.A.S.T.A.T.U.S.

1. someone email supermods and get this moved into superfashion.

2. i want to tackle this in terms of cultural impact outside of fashion.

in a rough chrono-illogical order.

a. quant

b. halston

c. alaia

d. prada

e. jacobs

• 8 months later...