The Osaka Five

flex0r

Nice article Kyle, I'm always interested in the history of the Osaka 5.  Now I just need to get a pair from each!  

I've already got my Warehouse 1001's which I love, next I'm thinking Fullcount.

Mhh...and if that article just works as an overview with a detailed spot lights on every brand of the Osaka5 later on (like you did with Samurai)?

Got a clicky for the Samurai article? 

If you guys ever come across stuff that looks like information in Japanese concerning these brands, just let me know, and I'll do my best to translate/summarize what it says.  I looked for info on each brand's history in Japanese but found a lot less than I expected.

Thanks bF

Kyle - yes, please keep us posted! 

One thing that is interesting to me is the circle that denim has taken - it started out in the west being born out of function. The Japanese have developed an affinity for it, making better versions than ever previously existed. Now westerners are inspired to make their own improved and unique versions, better than what existed before, sometimes rivaling the Japanese versions.  

Kitchen knives, in particular the gyuto or chef's knife, have an almost identical circle. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

head over to

https://denimartistpp.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/the-story-of-the-osaka-5/

for a new article by perry goh (via fb) about the osaka five. havn't read it yet, but besides the subject awesomeness, perry does solid work too!

guess I should have read it first then >_>

maaaan that sucks, my fault though. just wanted to save me a nice read when i found some new coffee.....

Edited by Blue Nemo

Well, the “soul†of a band is a very subjective feeling and there are certainly different views on that topic. Of course, you will find more discussion about that topic in the dedicated Denime-thread here on Sufu where I and others have raised their opinion.

But in general you can say, that most people are lusting after the old Denime models under Hayashi-san. Because they are better or because they are rarer and thus “cooler� Your decision.

My take on how the jeans changed: I liked the old denim better and more interesting but the construction under the new owner is way better than it was under Hayashi-san.

This is my opinion after owning 3 of the new models (XX type, 66XX and 25th anniversary) and owning several of the old models.

But if you offer me an old Denime 66XX or a new one…I would take the old one without thinking twice

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

I wonder though how many thought for the worse when it changed from orronzi to shins?

I haven't yet worn my new owner denime enough to compare with the old fully but they only major difference I can see is the removal of the tab

Do you think the denim is the same Mr B? I have no experience of Denime so couldn't comment.

based on my personal experience, the denim for the XX is different. This feeling is fueled by the article which is saying, under RMC they spread the denim production to several smaller mills. So they certainly changed suppliers

The older ones I have look a bit rougher and uneven that the new, but my newer ones seen to be going by that way. Then again I look that my new 66XX and in comparison to my 1951's I struggle to tell that much difference over the same amount of wear.

I find it hard to believe that someone would buy a successful company and change everything that made it loved?

I know at the start the new company tried to introduce a 47 cut as their XX but that didn't seem to last. And the 66XX came back.

Either way the new stuff is still a great product and I enjoy them every time I wear.

The 66XX came back but it is a complete new fit. Low(er) rise, more taper, less inseam.

When RMC took over they introduced, as you said, some new fits: the New66, the NewXX and so on. Most of them had a significant lower rise

Of course, it sounds stupid to buy a successful (???) and change everything: but IMO at least the XX denim changed. But don't get me wrong: the new denim isn't a bad denim, is it just different

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

ill talk  the following big bosses on the signet store Instagram live

miki san of  fullcount on april 22 1500 hours manila time

haysahi san of resolute and denime fame on april 27  1500 hours manila time

we have others too but yeah both of them fromt he osaka 5