[not just a] Summer Movie thread

Sayword

^ I am both of those, and I enjoyed it.

Should I be ashamed of myself?

Seriously though, care to explain?

I don't know if you should be ashamed. Do you feel ashamed?

This movie is a fourth part of a family "popcorn" movie that previously was smart, funny, packed with suspense and great characters. This part posses none of those things. The movie starts out slow and it never speeds up. The chase scenes don't grab me at all, the fight scenes are just laughable. LaBeouf is so bad and his character is so badly written that every word that comes out of his mouth makes me want to leave my seat. There is more chemistry between Bruce Willis and the apple guy in the last Die Hard than between Ford and LaBeouf. I don't care if teenage girls love him, he can't sell that role for shit.

There are no thrills, no joy, nothing memorable. Old movies were fantastic, wild rides that you could watch 20 years later and still enjoy. This one is packed with technology but doesn't deliver nearly as much. The whole movie just feels tired and forced onto the viewer.

I think one of the biggest action heroes is just old and not exciting anymore. It felt like it should be straight to video. I'm sure kids will like it when they watch it during the break from playing playstation and eating ice cream candy bars but the real fans of Indiana Jones surely will be disappointed.

Hrmmm, I see where you're coming from, however there were a couple of things that I enjoyed quite a bit, and to be honest I couldn't resist a carlfist when LaBeouf rode onto the screen all "Brando-ed" out (but that's probably more of my own stylistic obsession).

I saw it as a movie homage to "pulp" adventure novels, and as such didn't expect anything more from it. Comparisson to the classics is ofcourse inevitable, but could your expectations maybe have been rather high?

From a styling point of view I also enjoyed it quite a bit and I thought especially the "doll-village" was quite well done.

Guest The City

I thought it was decent. The CGI was lame in a lot of parts (swinging on those vines, when the crystal skull things come alive). Indy has always been sort of corny and a popcorn flick (imo at least) so I wasn't expecting much else. Seeing it in the theatre made it fun but watching it at home on a DVD I probably wouldn't do.

But what was the point of Cate Blanchett's character? She supposedly had some psychic power but I don't remember her ever using it? I don't want to spoil it for anyone but why did (what happened to her) happen? What did she do to the crystal skull beings to get that?

It wasn't horrible.

But It wasn't that great.

Pretty much the product of two middle aged white guys in a room asking each other how cool it would be if they combined tarzan, aliens, and nuclear bombs. Some of the scenes might've been cool individually, but they stretched the connections between everything, and 99% of the entire movie was completely superfluous.

I mean, I wasn't looking for a realistic Indiana Jones movie, and I don't think anyone ever wants a realistic movie period, but it wasn't that entertaining and just didn't make sense.

Speed Racer didn't make sense, but at least it was eye candy. I loved that movie.

Just got back from it. 7/10 for a summer action flick, 4/10 for an Indiana Jones movie. One thing that bugged me was that the original trilogy had tons of wide, majestic outdoor location shots that made the world seem beautiful, mysterious, and steeped in history and mystery whereas Crystal Skull seemed all soundstage + CGI. Just didn't bring the magic.

It sounds weird but I felt like Shia Labouf was the only newcomer pulling his weight in this movie? John Hurt and Kate Blanchett seemed incrediblely wasted and might as well have been wearing wookie suits for all the acting that was required of them. Seriously Blanchett's character had to have been the shittest, most non-threatening villian in an Indiana Jones film ever. She felt like the female assassin in a 007 movie who dies 20 minutes into the movie after Bond fucks her so they can show the real villian.

Indy 4 was weird. But it's was ok. Aliens WTF?!?!

And don't get me started with KAte Blanchet and her faux russian accent.

Raiders of the lost arc wil still be the best one for me.

Iron Man has to be the standard for this year's summer movies. IMHO

While it was enjoyable, it definitely can't compare to any of the other Indy movies. I hated Janusz Kaminski's cinematography and he should of just stuck with the gritty 80s feel of the early indy movies, and not this ethereal, lots of backlighting, glowing heads bullshit. Just that aspect alone made it not seem like an Indy film at all. Also, CGI is the death of cinema, and here it was like they were using it just cause they could. Gophers, monkeys, ants, what the fuck? Also throughout the movie I was somewhat bored, there just wasn't this sense of urgency and danger like in the previous films.

Seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button trailer was well worth it however.

DId I say that? No. I said in this movie.

I just think Kaminski has only one style and one direction and keeps using it over and over in Spielberg's films. I'm not saying he's bad, it's just what he does. I don't think the last indy was any different.

I just think Kaminski has only one style and one direction and keeps using it over and over in Spielberg's films. I'm not saying he's bad, it's just what he does. I don't think the last indy was any different.

Well, IMO, it just doesn't work, because I've grown so accustomed to the look & feel of the first 3 Indy films under Douglas Slocombe, whereas this one is just so incongruous with the rest of the series, so much so that it doesn't even feel like an Indiana Jones movie.