Comme des Garçons for H&M

Reason why it's her shooting herself in the foot is that isn't the thought behind the whole CDG ethic is quality in materials, including types of material used as well as design? The H&M collaboration will severely lack in quality because of the H&M tag and manufacturing.

I don't think anyone will be comparing the quality of the collaboration with the main line. Of course it will be lower, just as the prices are much lower than the regular CdG. I don't really see any negatives for Rei coming out of this collaboration. Just as previous h&m collaborations didn't hurt other designers. I'm not sure if it will make CdG more popular but it sure is publicity.

I don't like polka dots as well, especially for guys.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the argument is a little like a band 'selling out' and signing to a mainstream label or doing a commercial.

Yes, CDG can reach a wider audience. Yes, it can bring more exposure to the label.

But at what cost? devaluing the brand? devaluing the exclusivity of their clothes? (can you tell I'm a graphic designer?)

Part of their allure is their price, quality, exclusivity, and the fact that most people cannot afford their clothing - or just would not be interested in paying those prices.

However, the metaphor breaks down because CDG is already successful, well respected, people are fervent about their clothing. You can argue that they don't NEED the exposure, nor does H&M need the sales.

I think maybe part of the motivation is collaboration - trying different things, risky things that might 'damage' the brand's stature - but at the same time might be more creatively rewarding and challenging.

There are definitely a lot of labels, a lot of artists, musicians who get stuck in their own navel-gazing style.

And there are a lot who break out of their mold by working with other people - both those who fit in the same creative vein and those who seem to be the opposite.

I think it's more interesting to fuck things up and maybe upset people than to simply continue on the same path forever.

That said, I hope the construction quality doesn't suck.

-_-

and fuck polka dots.

H&M is taking action to make sure Comme fans can get the pieces they want instead of half the line going to rabid eBay sellers. Customers will be able to purchase only two items of the same style, according to a press release. So you can buy every item in the collection, but only two of each piece.

Sounds like a good move because with the previous collections some customers leached half the rail and flipped an easy coin on ebay. Then again there are ways to get around that if you're really desperate to leave the store with multiple identical items.

i planned on going there on thursday after school at 11am, but... there's nothing i want to buy. except maybe cardigan/sweater/scarf/pant ... but those are the plainest things in the collection and could be found elsewhere for cheaper. and i'm not even sure everything's going to be there...

might just go there buy lots of stuff and resell like a mofo.

btw i wouldn't buy comme des garçons in the first place because it's a bit too crazy for me. or i would buy this if it was very cheap to wear it a couple of times... aim of the h&m x cdg collab ?

This collab was one of those "love it or hate it" things straight from the start. i personally think there are a few cool pieces in this collection... cool enough to make me want to make it out to the SF H&M this Thursday to check them out

I'm not super familiar with CDG - have they done slash-across-chest stuff before?

For sure, CDG has produced a lot of diagonally cut garments in the past

CDG has come out with Play, the wallet line available at any and every moderately hip clothing shop, a speedo collaboration and a million equally or more shitty concepts after which h&m actually seems downright reasonable. but still, I can't stop shaking my head at grown up people who line up two days for h&m or paying a huge premium for resellers.

CDG has come out with Play, the wallet line available at any and every moderately hip clothing shop, a speedo collaboration and a million equally or more shitty concepts after which h&m actually seems downright reasonable. but still, I can't stop shaking my head at grown up people who line up two days for h&m or paying a huge premium for resellers.

Or just wait a month or two until all the people who bought the stuff get tired and move onto the next hot release and just put their stuff back on ebay for normal prices since no one will pay premium for the stuff then. Also, once the hype fades away, resellers will have to bring the prices back down. I'll probably grab something in a few months from this

I guess the argument is a little like a band 'selling out' and signing to a mainstream label or doing a commercial.

Yes, CDG can reach a wider audience. Yes, it can bring more exposure to the label.

But at what cost? devaluing the brand? devaluing the exclusivity of their clothes? (can you tell I'm a graphic designer?)

Part of their allure is their price, quality, exclusivity, and the fact that most people cannot afford their clothing - or just would not be interested in paying those prices.

However, the metaphor breaks down because CDG is already successful, well respected, people are fervent about their clothing. You can argue that they don't NEED the exposure, nor does H&M need the sales.

I think maybe part of the motivation is collaboration - trying different things, risky things that might 'damage' the brand's stature - but at the same time might be more creatively rewarding and challenging.

There are definitely a lot of labels, a lot of artists, musicians who get stuck in their own navel-gazing style.

And there are a lot who break out of their mold by working with other people - both those who fit in the same creative vein and those who seem to be the opposite.

I think it's more interesting to fuck things up and maybe upset people than to simply continue on the same path forever.

That said, I hope the construction quality doesn't suck.

-_-

and fuck polka dots.

mobb deep to g-unit?

What accessories are you picking up? Aren't the wallets almost normal cdg wallet prices and the scarves just plain scarves? I mean, if you're not gonna get some drop crotch shit, lolita dress, patchwork shirts, or slash suits (if pants fit cool and semi-baggy tapered), then i dunno, may as well buy h&m scarves.

What accessories are you picking up? Aren't the wallets almost normal cdg wallet prices and the scarves just plain scarves? I mean, if you're not gonna get some drop crotch shit, lolita dress, patchwork shirts, or slash suits (if pants fit cool and semi-baggy tapered), then i dunno, may as well buy h&m scarves.

Scarf, if the quality is decent and maybe the black lace-ups if the sole is of good quality and the shape is narrow.

From what I've seen, CdG wallets usually start at $200 depending on the size but some can be had for half retail price if there are sales on those things.

I believe some of the products were made by cdg. iirc, I read this article where Adrian Joffe was talking about how amazed he was when the h&m people came to retune and speed up the cdg production line for the h&m collection.

just came back from the HK shop... pretty much nothing left. they had one piece of that ^^ jacket left - size L, but passed on it. not that great for the price.

ended up only getting a cardigan and sweater...

also had the plain dress shirts - but what's the point.