Suggestions on what to do for 9 days in Hong Kong?

I'm going to arrive in Hong Kong on May 24th at 6 AM. I'm leaving HK on June 2nd. I'll check in as soon as I get out of the airport. I was thinking of doing shopping for day 1 as I'll probably not be in the mood to go to tourist sites. I'm looking over some things now and I'm hoping you guys can help me pinpoint exactly what I should do for the 9 days that I'll be in HK. Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born and raised in Hong Kong, I'll give you a hand. Where are you staying at by the way? And also, is it your first time?

Shopping areas: Central, Causeway Bay (CWB), Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), Kowloon. These are all MTR (subway) stations. As for Central, you can go to IFC and take a look around. Causeway Bay & Tsim Sha Tsui are big busy areas, I hope you have a map because it's easy to get lost there. Kowloon station has a new mall called Element. The shops tend to repeat in every shopping mall so it becomes a bit redundant to travel around, I think you're fine with just staying in Hong Kong Island and shop in Central + Causeway Bay.

Nightlife: Lan Kwai Fong (LKF) in Central.

Night viewing:

1) The Peak, see the whole Hong Kong island from the top of the peak.

2) Go to Tsim Sha Tsui (east side) and look at the Hong Kong Island skyline.

Food wise, it's very hard to pinpoint a restaurant and give you an exact address because there are just soo many restaurants in Hong Kong.

Hope that helps. Get an Octopus card, it's like a debit card for subway so you don't have to buy a ticket everytime. I think it's like $50HKD? And you can refund the card when you leave Hong Kong so no worries.

oh man, saw the girls that were lining up there. definitely must go, was on a tight budget that's why I didn't go in (300hkd entrance I think), but I was satisfied just sitting by the sidewalk and watching.

Go to beijing (a club in LKF) bloody good. :)

let me guess, full of Aussies? :P

I dont have any problem with Aussies or Brits at all, but when I'm in Asia I prefer to look for something a bit more exotic in terms of nightlife. LKF is full of British pubs though, and a zillion western people drinking on the streets and singing along eurodance songs :D

for sights, the view from the peak is nice, the tram might be pretty crammed up so might want to avoid most crowded hours. its also interesting to walk around the small roads at the peak to get away from the most touristy areas. on a clear day the view from from kowloon is also nice, especially in the evening.

since you have quite a few days there, maybe go to Lantau or some other islands. Tai O is a fun little fishing village that might be worth stopping by in. tourism there has increased in recent years so perhaps avoid weekend days. you can get there by taking a ferry to Mui Wo and then a bus to Tai O. there are als oother ferry connections from there, but I took the bus back to Tung Chung and went on the Ngong Ping cableway, which was pretty cool. theres also a mall in Tung Chung with an I.T outlet.

as for shopping, Pacific Place at Admiralty is a decent mall with Lane Crawford (big department store with a good menswear selection at this location), I.T, Joyce etc. the IFC mall is an ok one, mostly with pretty posh designer stores but an ok Lane Crawford as well. Causeway has a shopping area with a few nice shops, couple of I.T stores atleast and some others. On Lan Street in central has some designer boutiques like Ann Demeulemeester, Martin Margiela and Comme Des Garcons. also a Mihara Yasuhiro shop and NBHD. FIL is around the corner on Wyndham.

for areas to walk around in, in Central walk around Wyndham Street, and around the area north of the Central Police Station, around the mid-level escalators. theres tons of small interesting streets. Causeway Bay looks very different than many other areas in HK and is worth strolling through.

Beijing was fun when it first opened but havent been in a while the crowd looks kinda sketchy...lotta high schoolers tryin to get in

theres a new club that opened recently, Cliq, the sound system is great. The bathrooms rattle...

not much for shopping, Tokyo is much better and i usually just wait till i go there if i want to buy clothes...i guess you can walk around kowloon or hong kong park and take in the sights, smoke a few cigarettes. If you want to smoke a cigar go to Red Chamber right above Shanghai Tang on Pedder St. and if youre lucky youll run into me there one day

club no 9 doesn't use their space well at all....dont really go there any more it seems to have died down

been to bed once it was a cool concept (SATC?) but place was a bit small

volar isn't really members only...they say that about a lot of clubs but worst comes to worst u just gotta pay to get in.

if you wanna hang out with models go to dragon i...expats and models. more like a lounge than a club tho

club no 9 doesn't use their space well at all....dont really go there any more it seems to have died down

been to bed once it was a cool concept (SATC?) but place was a bit small

volar isn't really members only...they say that about a lot of clubs but worst comes to worst u just gotta pay to get in.

if you wanna hang out with models go to dragon i...expats and models. more like a lounge than a club tho

Club 9 is just got drinking when I am in Hong Kong, dragon i for yum cha in the afternoon :D and volar (go there at 9:30 the security will let u go in for free).

yeah only problem is nobody shows up at volar until 2

and i agree on dragon i for dim sum, $140 all you can eat? Best fucking deal in the city.

Very good for tourist who got enough time to sit there for 3 hrs to eat dim sim...good quality dim sim and clean :) But for workers going there for lunch aint a very good deal, what can you reallly eat for 1 hr including the time to waitt for the dim sim.:mad:

well its totally luck of the draw depending on when u go there...i once saw CCP cotton blazer (button was coming off tho) for like $3K hkd as well as black overlock jeans but in like a size 50

a lot of miyake...nobody buys miyake here. Most of it is discarded euro trash that has probably been there for years though...like random dsquared, etro, hugo boss and balenciaga basics nobody wants. Occasionally there's a nice McQueen coat or some of the more extravagant runway pieces that didnt end up selling

one thing ill warn u tho: prices aren't that much of a discount compared to current season final reductions. they reduce their prices incrementally so something isnt really a bargain unless its been sitting there for like 2 years.

if you're coming in like july i'd just hit up the Central Joyce branch for their final sales if i were you. the ap lei chau is a bit out of the way (worth going to that area for Tse Kee fish ball noodles however)

Is the Joyce outlet at Ap Lei Chau worth visitng, FTB? I'll be in HK in early july and I thought I might go since I've been to all the usual shopping places before.

I might bump into u when I am in hk from June to August.

I live in Disco Bay and work in Sheung Wan/Central area...the only place i go regularly is Red Chamber cigar divan. dont even have any restaurants i frequent a lot, except maybe Tsui Wah...

Isnt disco bay (discovery bay) ..i remember its next to disneyland right??? Now that's far.

ftb - Miyake sounds good to me. Some of the stuff, I don't mind buying at heavy discounts. And I do enjoy areas outside of the city centre. I remembered walking around the public housing estates on my way to the UC/CDGguerrilla store the last time and also the Kowloon Tong area. Quite a nice change of pace from the more touristy parts. No favorite restaurants? dang, i was just gonna ask you for some below 400hkd/person places.

I'll be at Kowloon for the first first few days and then Tsing Yi for the rest. If anyone sees me, do say hi.

yeah man if i see you on the Tung Chung subway line i'll say what's up

Just look out for a dude with AA tee and imperial duke...:) I am bring one jeans for whole summer in HK, my gf said it suicido ..is it that bad in HK now? As in Heat?

the weather's been weird this year...some days very hot, some days are a bit more mild. Like today i'm wearing a light blazer and long sleeved shirt it feels perfect...yesterday and day before however i probably could've gone out in a leather jacket.

when it hits july i am sure a tee and pants (not even jeans, but like loose fitting pants) should be the weather appropriate uniform

the weather's been weird this year...some days very hot, some days are a bit more mild. Like today i'm wearing a light blazer and long sleeved shirt it feels perfect...yesterday and day before however i probably could've gone out in a leather jacket.

when it hits july i am sure a tee and pants (not even jeans, but like loose fitting pants) should be the weather appropriate uniform

i might buy a short in Hong Kong..

btw might bump into u in tung chung line cause isnt it the same line to Element???

yes it is, kowloon station.

im hard to miss, 6'5 chinese dude with thick rimmed black glasses and some kind of white/black baggy yohji uniform with visvim kiefers is what i wear most days

That's hardcore mate.. 6'5 chinese dude, are you a professional bball player??