Classic Video Game Thread

jeepster

Big earthbound box

I still remember how happy i was when i was little and came home from the store with this giant box. Sniffing the cards in the back, looking through the insane colors in the guide book. Great game/experience. Can't wait for Mother3 translation to get finished up. Been waiting 2 years now and it's getting really close.

Suikoden, FUCK YES. It's probably the only rare game in my collection that I won't sell. This is the reason why I don't play modern 3D RPGs and shit. Fuck, I'm going to play this over the summer.

Jet Set Radio was awesome too. The soundtrack was great, I still play this from time to time because it's so fun.

I have this treasure trove of NES shit in my closet from when I was a kid, gold Zelda cartridges, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Stadium Events, R.O.B. and a Power Glove. I don't know why I haven't sold Stadium Events yet.

i know metroid was already mentioned, but super metroid was probably my favorite single-player game, ever

Super_Metroid_Screen1.jpg

super metroid really appealed to me with this dark, paranoid atmosphere suffused with vague monster mythology. the ever-evolving relationship between the diverse geography of the map and your inventory was impressive, though not unprecedented.

Yeah man. You get it. Metroid has the best ambience, even the first game. I love it.

Nice to see the Lufia series mentioned, Ichigo. I have a cartridge of Lufia II, that was one difficult game. Definitely one of my favorite RPGs on the SNES.

Super Metroid, loved the game as a kid ... unfortunately there is a problem with my cartridge nowadays. I tried to start up a new game about 2 years ago and after halfway through the game my save file randomly disappeared, I was pissed.

jgr-cover.jpg

e1d9f96642a05f85fb4b5110._AA280_.L.jpg

gex.jpg

I'm sorry Ichigo, but I see nothing classic in any of these games considering they got old after the first 10 minutes of playing.

Jet Grind Radio just always pissed me off.

I was musing on this one with some friends today:

Illusion%20of%20Gaia.gif

story was great... graphics left much to be desired.

I'm sorry Ichigo, but I see nothing classic in any of these games considering they got old after the first 10 minutes of playing.

Jet Grind Radio just always pissed me off.

I was musing on this one with some friends today:

Illusion%20of%20Gaia.gif

story was great... graphics left much to be desired.

I mean, what more did you want from it graphic wise? Some of the towns/levels had nice color/art. It was a good game though. One of the better zelda look alikes i've played. Soundtrack was solid, gameplay was good, and it kept me entertained the whole time. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular.

I mean, what more did you want from it graphic wise? Some of the towns/levels had nice color/art. It was a good game though. One of the better zelda look alikes i've played. Soundtrack was solid, gameplay was good, and it kept me entertained the whole time. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular.

It was really the character designs. They looked retarded, no ifs, ands, or buts. Everything else about the game was pretty genius.

But seriously, I need to start playing Secret of Mana again... that is in a three-way tie for best ever with Chrono Trigger/FFIII (VI)

Jeepster,

A game doesnt nessecarily have to be considered a classic based off of its status or it's sheer gameplay. I personally considered those classics because of the way they incorporated great character and level design and witty storylines.

For their time, they were classic games in my eye, JSRF was and still is an instant classic for its time because it's design was superior to other titles that were out at the time. Cell shading in a 3d like world was unheard of. It was really based on the art form more so than the gameplay that captured my attention.

Perhaps my perspective on games are entirely different but that's acceptable so no worries