Classic Video Game Thread

jeepster

And about UO ... I actually never got into this game, but read a lot about it. Is there anyway to download it for free and check it out? I'm on a Mac though, which might cause a problem.

Hm... Not sure. I know it's cheap as ballz though. A TON of people still play. I had to quit because I got tired of the exp system. I actually hate games like that now. I like skill-based games. Keeps things Darwinian.

We need a skill-based MMORPG for me to geek out on.

While I understand how MMORPG's are set up, I wish games like Star Wars Galaxies were more flexible and allowed you do not have to go through semi-turn based fights and you could do shit in more real time, akin to Resident Evil, which is based on the skill of the player. Galaxies is just such a great concept but it's wasted on a poorly organized structure of quests/experience and the turn-based bullshit. Also it costs money. Why do these games still cost money. The market is dead as it is. The only note-worthy MMORPG making bank right now is WoW

best Castlevania ever.

castlevaniasotnps1pal.jpg

both games have ridiculously awesome music

Hell yes. I spent $50 getting an old, pre-GH copy of this on eBay and it was absolutely worth it... and then I found out it's on PSP now. Such an awesome game, and proof not everything needs to be 3D. While I was looking for it, I regret not buying a bunch of FFVII copies when they were still in stores; shit goes for rediculous money in brand-new condition these days.

Star Tropics was cool, but I never played the second one. Diamonds mentioned Tomba which deserves a modern version. Gran Turismo 1 is fucking painful to go back to after Prologue. All the old Mario games still feel good now, and same goes with all permutations of Genesis Sonic, and Bubsy. Trog is an excellent time-waster too.

Count another who was fucking terrified of Resident Evil 2. The first time you see the licker crawl across the window when you turn a corner... damnit, I was trying to find another way, I knew it'd be waiting for me in the next room :(. And then 3, with Nemesis fucking popping out of nowhere all the time, holy shit.

Ehrgeiz.jpg

I copped this off some African dude in Sicily, got lucky and he finally had it. My copy was in japanese and I never knew what the hell I was doing but I fucking loved it.

I also confessed I never beat FFVII. I got like halfway into the last cave and I haven't played since.

I also never got Vincent.

I still have my NES and SNES and love it.

besides the obvious ones, Maniac Mansion and Lolo 1-3 were fantastic

NES%20Adventures%20of%20Lolo%20box.jpg

SNES games, i was big into the RPGs obvious and obscure but i have plenty of adventure games too.

The NES/SNES are kinda chick magnets too. Girls love nostalgic shit like that and want to come up and play some mario or something.

Superconfessional: I learned to read by playing Dragon Warrior I and Final Fantasy I. My grandma was an original Nintendo Power subscriber and got a free copy of Dragon Warrior and i played that shit and FF when i was 5 and basically learned to read from it since it was all text based.

super smash tv and the disney games for snes/genesis are great for a nerd session with your friends

lion king is hard as hell i still cant beat it with out multiple continues

fuck all these new gamers that need tutorials and shit

its all about growing up platforming making impossible jumps

alot of games are too easy now

super smash tv and the disney games for snes/genesis are great for a nerd session with your friends

SmashTV was one of those games that was just so bad it was good. Awesome memories with that one, managing to hook up two keyboards and setting up two controllers on each keyboard with friends...

While I understand how MMORPG's are set up, I wish games like Star Wars Galaxies were more flexible and allowed you do not have to go through semi-turn based fights and you could do shit in more real time, akin to Resident Evil, which is based on the skill of the player. Galaxies is just such a great concept but it's wasted on a poorly organized structure of quests/experience and the turn-based bullshit. Also it costs money. Why do these games still cost money. The market is dead as it is. The only note-worthy MMORPG making bank right now is WoW

That's the thing. It boggles my mind that nobody has conceptualized an MMORPG or Clan-Based MMOG that's skill based.

I want an MMORPG that lets you customize your character's appearence and function, but set up so that if a new character is as skilled or more skilled than a higher-ranking older character, he can defeat that character. It gets so fucking boring with these experience based or turn based games. Warfare is just a total ZzZzZ in those games...

The top is one of the greatest adventure games ever, probably the last hurrah of the genre. (sure we got sam and max now, but its just not the same)

The bottom game is one of the biggest cockteases ever. Shining Force III Scenario 1. Where's 2 and 3?

See, I love adventure games. Sierra, SOS!

That's the thing. It boggles my mind that nobody has conceptualized an MMORPG or Clan-Based MMOG that's skill based.

Server load. Its easier to cope with lag when everything is number based. Imagine there's something at stake in a PvP fight, and bam lag spike. Not fair. There's too much load in a twitch, skill based combat system for a MMOG.

Server load. Its easier to cope with lag when everything is number based. Imagine there's something at stake in a PvP fight, and bam lag spike. Not fair. There's too much load in a twitch, skill based combat system for a MMOG.

You know what? You're absolutely right.

yeah, but whats interesting is that now, since internet, and especially T1 speeds, are becoming more and more available to the public, no company has really pounced on this fully realized idea. WoW comes close, but its a simple game based on the sort of online play that UO pioneered. I just wished that online gaming was ready to be truly evolved as an in-time efficient no-player greater than the other sorta system, but we are so so so far from this. There would need to be constant surveillance so that players were not cheating or bending the rules of the game, the pinging and server loading would have to be lossless and constantly running, the game itself would need to be fully integrated to any connection... god dammit. At least when it happens, I hope its like Star Wars Universe or some shit. That would be ballin, OUTRIGHT.

yeah, but whats interesting is that now, since internet, and especially T1 speeds, are becoming more and more available to the public, no company has really pounced on this fully realized idea. WoW comes close, but its a simple game based on the sort of online play that UO pioneered. I just wished that online gaming was ready to be truly evolved as an in-time efficient no-player greater than the other sorta system, but we are so so so far from this. There would need to be constant surveillance so that players were not cheating or bending the rules of the game, the pinging and server loading would have to be lossless and constantly running, the game itself would need to be fully integrated to any connection... god dammit. At least when it happens, I hope its like Star Wars Universe or some shit. That would be ballin, OUTRIGHT.

What if, when you engage another player or group of players, there is a host scenario?

Speaking of disney games, anyone ever play this?

Nes%20Loose%20Disney%20Adventures%20in%20the%20Magic%20Kingdom.jpg

I remember this being hard as shit when i was 4-8. I don't remember playing it much after that so i don't know if i just sucked then. Weird ass game. You play different levels that mimic rides at the theme park.

i know metroid was already mentioned, but super metroid was probably my favorite single-player game, ever

Super_Metroid_Screen1.jpg

super metroid really appealed to me with this dark, paranoid atmosphere suffused with vague monster mythology. the ever-evolving relationship between the diverse geography of the map and your inventory was impressive, though not unprecedented.

i also loved super mario RPG. the overall pitch of the dialogue and environment is so somber compared to other super mario games. leave it to square enix to disfigure the relentlessly optimistic attitude of super mario. whatever happened to geno? ive never seen him in any other mario releases

maybe not a classic, but favorite puzzle/multi:

ss_ta-snes_1p_vs.gif

\

also the only cheat i never forget: up up down down left right left right b a start