What are you listening at right now

PeterJ

51X5PC2ZEFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bailey in surprisingly less idiomatic style. Lewis pre-electronics. And Zorn back when he was still good and played game calls as real musical gestures rather than novelty schtick! I should listen to this cd more often. Reminds me of the early Zorn/Chadbourne duos in a certain way too. Shame those weren't recorded as well.

george lewis was doing electronics in the 70s (c.f. monads on black saint). john zorn is the elvis of free jazz.

ok. true. Sorry, I wrote that wrong. Re-phrase: pre-return to electronics. There was definitely a period of pseudo break from them for a while.

Have you heard George Lewis lately? I think Miya Masaoka has too much influence on him. It's not BAD per se but his use of a laptop just doesn't accomplish anything. Pretty bland aesthetic but not for lack of trying. He and Bill Dixon both had so much potential and then thier approach to electronics just got stuck somewhere in the past.

And yeah, Zorn pisses me off to no end most of the time but you've gotta give him credit for the game pieces. And this is actually much more euro improv steeze on Bailey's terms than Zorn actively copping somebody else's thing. And he fits surprisingly well.

the last i heard george lewis was at the performance of roscoe mitchell's l-r-g in tribeca maybe ten years ago? i heard then he was taking time off to write a book about the aacm because he gave up on anyone else doing it.

zorn's game pieces, as with a lot of his stuff, were a poor man's braxton. the only zorn i can listen to these days is absinthe although i will put up with his presence on the lp he did with takayanagi (luckily only one side)

Never thought of the game pieces as particularly Braxtonesque. I'd like to hear whatever you consider their influences.... please give me some album recomendations if you can think of any.

Absinthe is definitely a nice anomaly. Possibly my favorite Naked City disc. Though it was always a toss up with Leng Tche.

I never did hear his duo with Takayanagi though. How does Takayanagi approach that one? Like playing with Abe? or more like his solo tabletop guitar and cassettes and synthsounding stuff? or is it a straight up wall of sound blowout? I have a real love/hate relationship with the body of work that guy left behind.

yeah matsu, im gonna have to ask you to sign me up to some sort of download service. you've got some great taste and i really wanna sorta find out more about the stuff you post.

also, here's a question for you jpgm - you wouldn't happen to have Songs for Beethovenby Darcy Clay, would you? i can't seem to find any of his stuff in cd/tape/mp3/vinyl/otherwise because im here in the US - since you're from the general hemisphere where he was most popular, think you could point me in the right direction to getting his stuff?

lichens - the psychic nature of being

this record is so good.

He just opened up for explosions in the sky .. and I'm missing it ..

Wasnt really feeling the collabo with white/light he did ..

I need to downlaod psychic nature of being

Me listening to too much tim hecker right now..

Tim Hecker - Harmony in Blue Part II is Pecfect ..

Guest jmatsu
matsu - whats that 'go right' record like...?

jazzanova / compost rarely disappoint.

it's pretty ancient. they reissued this polish band called the novi singers. the novi singers basically did alot vocal skat shit. it was their supposed theory to use their voices not just for vocals/singing, but as musical instruments.

anyway their shit is pretty catchy. sometimes dark sounding.

now...

ivan smagghe - cocoricò 03

earlier...

spl - hollow point recordings podcast 1 february 2008

jammer - are you dumb volume III

eskiboy - tunnel vision volume V

mary anne hobbs - live on radio 1 experimental 090408 (feat. untold)