What are you listening at right now

PeterJ

The new Sunn O))) album is amazing. All their old stuff has been boring Earth-worship (that had been done before, by Earth), but the new one (Black 1) is a crazy-ass black-metal influenced grimm-as-fuck record. I'm really impressed. The guitar is a lot more dynamic, the atmosphere is a lot spookier, and the dude from Xasthur does amazing vox.

i am eagerly awaiting the new wu-tang meets the indie culture album including emcees like aesop rock and rza.. quite an interesting mix if you ask me.

check out some snippets at www.wutangcorp.com

you can already download one song via itunes though called biochemical equition.. it pwns!!

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

i am eagerly awaiting the new wu-tang meets the indie culture album including emcees like aesop rock and rza.. quite an interesting mix if you ask me.

check out some snippets at www.wutangcorp.com

you can already download one song via itunes though called biochemical equition.. it pwns!!

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

Quote:

sunn SUCK

the worst joke in music

them and earth can get it

but if you say the new record is differnt then maybe its worth peeping

but yo...i dont believ it

--- Original message by telluride11 on Oct 8, 2005 09:40 PM

The new record is very different.

The track w/ Oren Ambarchi guesting is amazing.

the shout out louds- howl howl gaff gaff

goldfrapp-supernature

death cab for cutie-plans

franz ferdinand-you could have it so much better

my chemical romance-three cheers for sweet revenge

the used- in love and death

chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum i hate the most

Quote:

is the oren track on the sunn record melodic at all?

--- Original message by ddohnggo on Oct 9, 2005 05:04 PM

The Oren contribution isn't really melodic in the usual sense, but it's very interesting.

The entire record is actually very melodic, much more so than their previous works. The skull-crushing doom guitar has been dropped in favor of a more melodic, needling, buzzsaw-style guitar, a la black metal. The bass guitars still provide throbbing subcurrents of bass drone but it's not as much of a centrepiece as on the previous albums.

The vocals, by Wrest of Leviathan, are fucking amazing. They were recorded in a coffin (no joke) and they sound absolutely tortured, like a zombie screaming and muttering Satanic incantations. Totally awesome.

There is tons of buzzing fucked-up ambience, but thankfully, it's all rumbling and ominous and low-frequency, not piercing and screechy. Frankly I'm sure there is a lot of computer manipulation, but it's really hard to tell. I'm listening to it now, and track 3 sounds like a jackhammer, an industrial-grade air conditioner, a bass guitar, and a bizarre tone generator with recurring guitar riffs with vocals by the aforementioned zombie.