Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Looks like I'm going to sell the Edo Ai's.

The attention to detail on these jeans are fabulous. The fabric is slubby and has a very distinct color. The denim is extremely rigid.

But I made a mistake in getting a size down and it doesn't look like it's going to fit me.

The bagginess is not to my liking as well and the high rise.

John, that's frustrating. sorry to hear it. you probably don't want to screw with them if you plan to sell based on other characteristics of the jeans, but you might be able to pull an extra inch out of the waist by pulling on it after soaking (or wearing while damp). but i'm sure i'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

i've no experience with the sugar millet denim, but i'll repeat that the give is definitely there for the '47s. while they were hang drying after the first hard wash the waist measured around 33.5 (true to the measurements given on various japanese sites) and i lightly tugged on the waist and got a 1/2 inch with little pressure. i could have gotten another inch without torturing the denim if i'd wanted.

i actually ended up hardwashing these again and used the dryer under the low heat setting (i know i'm really messing with these). initially i thought, hey, another big round of shrinking, as they were almost a tight fit when i put them on. but, no, after a couple of hours they stretched back to pretty much were they were after the first hard wash (they did survive the dryer pretty well; didn't go all shapeless and mushy as some denim will). so i still think sizing down on the '47s is a safe bet.

i think history preservation's push on not sizing down is prob. based on their primary customer who is a WWII buff, an older guy, maybe carrying a few extra pounds (and a little in denial about their true waist size), and used to a very relaxed fitting jean, and who is going to throw these in the dryer after each wash. after a run through the dryer, going one size down would feel super tight (especially if your understating your true waist to begin with).

I ran mine through the dryer on the lowest possible setting. They were fine. Another time, at the same setting, but I removed them after about 20 mins into a 35 min. cycle. I know some of you purists :) would be loathe to go near a dryer, but I felt I definitely had the advantage with these denims because they were so long in the leg, and room in the waist.

Wooster, now that you've mentioned it, I agree that these denims might be geared towards the customer you describe. Now all of us "hipsters" are calling Hist. Pres. and bugging them about sizing/washing etc. That's amusing, isn't it?

>>But I made a mistake in getting a size down and it doesn't look like it's going to fit me.

>>The bagginess is not to my liking as well and the high rise

Mmm.. that's a pity. So they're too tight and too baggy at the same time? Can you elaborate a bit on the fit? Are they too tight in the waist and too baggy in the arse? Or is it the legs which are too loose for your liking..?

Has anyone hard-washed a pair of Hawaiis? I am wondering if they would get the same shrinkage in the seat and legs as the 47s. Not sure how different the millet characteristics are.

It sounds like they behave much the same based on what people have said about cold-soaking, hang drying and wearing while damp. Still, if anyone has done a hard wash, what were your results?

ask a cassowary

Edited by tangerine on Jan 19, 2006 at 10:49 AM

Quote:

>>But I made a mistake in getting a size down and it doesn't look like it's going to fit me.

>>The bagginess is not to my liking as well and the high rise

Mmm.. that's a pity. So they're too tight and too baggy at the same time? Can you elaborate a bit on the fit? Are they too tight in the waist and too baggy in the arse? Or is it the legs which are too loose for your liking..?

--- Original message by frideswide on Jan 19, 2006 08:18 AM

yes. it's tight in the waist and baggy in the arse.

I've changed my mind towards the Edo Ai's. They are fabuluous! Sizing down was a good idea. After soaking, the jeans shrunk considerably. The ass have become less baggy and looks a bit straight. Whilst, damp you could really alter the fit with a little pulling. It does have a sweet, faint smell.

So, I just got off the phone with History Pres. Society, and got quite the shock. They stressed STRONGLY that I go for my true waist size (which meeasured 34.5", with a tape, even though both my pairs of Nudies are 32s, and the Hobokens I tried on were a perfect fit in a 32. They are going to be sending me a pair of no-wash to try on, but I have a somewhat sinking feeling that they're going to be way too big.

Just didn't think that there could be such a disparity between tagged size and true size...yikes icon_smile_shock.gif

Quote:

maybe the people at HP are fat, because you should size down, especially with these because they're such a baggy arse fit.

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Jan 23, 2006 11:29 AM

That's honestly what I thought. Although they were so adament, I felt kind of silly saying, "Well, I read on the Internet that I should probably be wearing a size 32...33 tops." I want the one wash 47's anyway, and they were out of stock in them. The no-washes they're sending are just to try on. I'll let you know what the results are when I get them (if anyone cares).

Quote:

but the unwashed jeans are like 2 inches too big in the waist so they aren't much help. you might even want to go down another size because I think they are pretty high-waisted.

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Jan 23, 2006 12:13 PM

Well, sure it'll help. If the unwashed are waaay too big for me, then I'll know that the HPS folks are full of it, and can just order the appropriate size with confidence. Per their site, they say that unwashed 47s are roughly 1/2" bigger than the tagged size. Seems like the long way around to get the proper fit, but I'd rather do this than be disappointed, I suppose.

Edited by TB on Jan 23, 2006 at 12:32 PM

Guess you can't believe everything you read, I suppose. If these 34's they send me are sized at 37", I'm going to have a right good laugh and then get on the phone to rectify the situation. The HPS folks actually were trying to talk me into getting a 36!

If the canes I've seen on this site weren't so good looking, I'd call them back and cancel everything, based solely on their misinformation.

TB, yes, definitely keep us informed. I will be quite interested, as I am about ready to jump on those '47's, one-washed, if they EVER get the damn things back in stock. What's up with that? It's taking forever. I coulda made my own self a pair by now!

I'll bet those unwashed pair they're sending you will be so large you will be able to button them up and step right out of them, no problem. I can't imagine that even an eight hour soak will make much difference.

The Rickson'a are rather loose. Or waht I called more of a "relaxed"-type fit. I would've definitely preferred a fit a bit more snug. I had them send me a size down and they were extremely tight in the waist. Even allowing for a possible stretch of an inch or so, I knew I'd have a problem. So I went with the next size up and that is where I am. Indeed, it may seem to be a long way 'round to get the right fit, but it'll be worth it. I'm guessing the 'Cane's are a tighter fit. But who knows? You will shortly...

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Jan 23, 2006 at 01:54 PM

That's what I'm thinking. I just can't believe that I could go with a 32 waist on three other pairs of jeans, and suddenly have to go two sizes up with Canes...I'd have seen someone post as such by now, don't you think?

I'll try and snap a few pics too, to help with those looking at these jeans.

Quote:

That's what I'm thinking. I just can't believe that I could go with a 32 waist on three other pairs of jeans, and suddenly have to go two sizes up with Canes...I'd have seen someone post as such by now, don't you think?

--- Original message by TB on Jan 23, 2006 01:47 PM

TB -- I don't think it applies in this case, but many Japanese jeans definitely undersize their jeans. My Eternal 811s are marked tag size 34, came to me measuring about 31.9" in the waist, and have stretched to a nice, comfortable 34" - 34.5".

I believe Sugarcane jeans are tagged to shrink down to exact tag size (ie, a size 34 will shrink to 34") but I don't know exactly.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by TB on Jan 23, 2006 01:47 PM

TB -- I don't think it applies in this case, but many Japanese jeans definitely undersize their jeans. My Eternal 811s are marked tag size 34, came to me measuring about 31.9" in the waist, and have stretched to a nice, comfortable 34" - 34.5".

I believe Sugarcane jeans are tagged to shrink down to exact tag size (ie, a size 34 will shrink to 34") but I don't know exactly.

--- Original message by minya on Jan 23, 2006 03:51 PM

Tagged to shrink down to the exact tag size...exactly as I'd surmised from reading the informed posts of this thread. I honestly don't know what's up. I measured my waist (twice) with a tape, at roughly the rise of the 47's (two inches or so below the belly button), and came up with 34.5". Yet I've consistently fit into and worn 32's...even wore a 32 waist for a tuxedo I wore to a friend's wedding. I guess I'm only doing this no-wash "fitting" because I've never owned sugarcanes, and just want to be sure.

Plus, these dry ones will be a 37 length, which is roughly 5 inches longer than I wear...talk about swimming in them!

Best case scenario, the no washes will be 1.5" too big for me, so I can just order a 33 and be done with it.

When talking to HP I think you have to lie about your waist size. They were adamant both times that I ordered my 47s that I order true to size. I own both a 30 and 31 and measure a 31.5" waist. They are sized up 2" as opposed to the 1/2" on the website. My 31's fit the way the jeans were suppose to fit back in the day (after 2 hardwashes), which is rather relaxed in the ass. The waist fits snug the way it should. The 30s on the, other hand, when I had them, fit nice and snug in the legs and ass, but tight in the waist. The waist though stretched out and loosened up to a snug fit after a couple of wears. If you want a snug fit in the legs I would say order a size down and suffer through having the waist stretch out (it really isn't that much suffering), if you prefer the ole' hip hanger look then order pretty much true to size and wash them in hot water when you get them so they shrink as much as possible. Otherwise, you will be swimming in them until your first hardwash. That is what happened to me. I was worried about indigo loss and just did a cold soak. The waist shrunk about .5" and I was wearing baggy jeans for two months until I chose to wash them. I was suprised at how little indigo was lost in the hard wash.

hi. i usually wear a sz 29 in regular newer denim(lower cuts), eg, diesels, gstars, energies. but for the Sugarcanes,which i have been fortunate enough to try on last week, fit me perfectly in a 31. perfect as in: they were tight, where i usually wear my jeans. i like to wear them around my hip usually, but for these, they were tight just sllightly above my hip. legs and all were fine, and i think i have a pretty big ass, and legs.

i hope this info helps all you heads out there. i think the canes are true to size, from wht i could see. 31 should be a 15.5" waistband across, at least it felt that way.

good luck!

on this sizing thing, i'll strongly second rnrswitch's opinion. true to size (which i did on 47 canes) gives you what is probably an authentic fit, but it'll seem baggy in the rear if you're used to a more modern fit (like nudies or APC standards). rnrswitch posted pics in the denim pic thread--minus the wear, that's also how they fit me. and you have to hardwash them before wearing, else the rear will seem huge.

can't see what you're going to find out from trying them on totally raw, except that they'll be too big. i really don't get this measure your waist with a tape thing. my suggestion would be to take a pair of your nudies that is fitting well, and measure the back waist. if you get 17" then the 34 canes will fit ('cause that's what my size 34 canes measure). if you come up with less than 17, then you should definitely get the 33's.

I'm a size 34 on Nudie RRDS and I almost gave up on the size 33 dry Sugarcane Edo Ai jeans I ordered when I saw them. The ass was huge but the waist looks like they could fit me immediately (w/o the initial soak). After soaking them, I was amazed how you pull the waist to give you another inch (probably more). I'm now wearing them on the waist just right while the rest of the jeans shrank (to my liking). Although this may not be the same to all Sugarcanes.

Hist. Pres. don't want to hear anything about how you might be basing your size on that perfectly fitting pair of jeans you own. They INSIST on you using a tape measure. They go all frantic on you otherwise.

Mrswitch, you are about the only person out here who advocates hardwashing. Maybe you're talking Sugarcanes only. If 'Canes are constructed similarly to Rickson's, I'd say "why not hardwash them?". These things seem to be indestructible (particulary since you have all that excess room when you get them). They are very strong and sturdy, built to last. Workwear, you know?