Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Hawaii's and Okinawa's..

This will just further complicate matters, but here are my thoughts...

Our position: The jeans fit the same, any visual difference is due to the severe difference in shade of indigo and the feel and drape of the denim itself. Measurements yield an almost identical cut between the two models.

Sugar Cane's position (direct from my associate that is a manager at TOYO): Hawaii and Okinawa are different cuts, though they appear to be similar. If you've tried on Hawaii, you'll certainly notice they are tighter/slimmer than Oki. Both styles are right-hand twist and patterned after LSC jeans, w/ Oki. being closest to a 1950 XX501 and Hawaii being slimmer like the wartime LSC models. The 1966 501 had the 1st narrow, tapering leg, which neither Oki. nor Hawaii have; both are stovepipe designs.

Sugar Cane Hand Loomed Style

Worn for 6 months, every day.

Washed 12 times, every two weeks.

kiya_hl_01.jpg

kiya_hl_02.jpg

kiya_hl_03.jpg

kiya_hl_04.jpg

kiya_hl_05.jpg

kiya_hl_06.jpg

kiya_hl_07.jpg

kiya_hl_08.jpg

kiya_hl_09.jpg

Photos by SidneyLo

how does this denim feel compared to some of the others you have in the store?

Very different, it's probably the most unique denim that's ever been sold at Self Edge.. when raw it's very rigid, dark, and super slubby, but once washed a few times it softens up quite a bit due to it's lighter weight and the way it's been woven so loose.

wats up guys, got a n00b question for you all in the know.

i was recently in take5 jeans in Hong Kong and had an opportunity to try on some sugarcane okinawas...unfortunately they only had i think 30" waist (i normally wear 32" which they didnt have) which was pretty tight on me, the salesman said that the denim would shrink more after a recommended soak but later would stretch out. Since in the store they were fitting, albeit rather uncomfortably i opted out of buying them considering they'd shrink to what would have been an unacceptable size.

some more research shows that the denim is sanforized and therefore doesnt even require soaking, so im pondering whether it was the right decision to forgo the SCs especially considering the pocket design (and their smell)...i opted out and bought a pair of APC new standards instead. BUt my question is, would the denim have stretched after some wearing to a more comfortable fit?

I may go back to take5, they also had some nice looking evisu no.2's... if i can scrape enough cash together before i leave

thanks a lot

S

This might be a dumb question, but I simply haven't been keeping up w/ denim as much as I used to. Anyways, I'm somewhat set on Sugarcane Okinawa's being my next pair of denim. I pretty much made this decision a while ago (though Flatheads have been tempting lately) and a part of my decision was based on the fact that they came in a nice bag and smelled sweet (the other being I wanted a Levi's repro). Anyways, I was just wondering if it still came in the bag and/or still smelled as wonderful as I heard it did in 2006.

This might be a dumb question, but I simply haven't been keeping up w/ denim as much as I used to. Anyways, I'm somewhat set on Sugarcane Okinawa's being my next pair of denim. I pretty much made this decision a while ago (though Flatheads have been tempting lately) and a part of my decision was based on the fact that they came in a nice bag and smelled sweet (the other being I wanted a Levi's repro). Anyways, I was just wondering if it still came in the bag and/or still smelled as wonderful as I heard it did in 2006.

i guess it depends on where you buy them. my okis from BiG came in a BiG bag and nothing else. i also never really noticed a smell when i first got them. theyve gone through several washes and now just smell like me.

instead of a smell that goes away or a bag which you will never use again, you should really buy them because they are an incredible pair of denim. give them 3-4 months and you will have fades that are unique and unlike any other pair on the market.

They don't come in a bag but if you get a pair that's not been sitting in a store's stock for long they still DO smell like sugar.

I see you're in the Bay Area, you should drop by Self Edge and Smell The Magic like L7.

you know what, I'm not sure.

I based the pair I got off yahoo auctions on my waist size. But the 47s run an inch small in the waist and the 66s run 2 inches big in the waist.

Cheep/Beatle, care to shed any light on how these fit?

sure... ill give a little pictorial

SC 45 size 30

fwq0.jpg

SC 45 size 31

dcfc0042fd0.jpg

samurai 0500xx size 30

dscf2915kp2.jpg

apc NS size 29

dcfc0097fy9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

not so happy... had to re-sew the left back pocket... the entire right side had all of the stitching break last night, and im not even sure when or how. i think its from when i was sakting, but it didnt wear thru like if i was sliding on my ass, it just broke. both lines of stitching from the top(exposing the hidden rivet) to the bottom of the pocket.

kinda shitty for jeans ive worn for just over one day

Cheep, that is VERY uncommon.. we've actually found Sugar Cane's jeans to last longer than almost any other brand we sell (with the exeption of Iron Heart)..