Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I bought a pair of 1947As a year ago and wore them for a few months but put them in my closet as I didn't really like the fit so I bought a pair of 5000s. I started wearing my 47s again in November because I bought a pair of Indys and the jeans looked better. I wear them pretty regularly but the combs aren't forming so i'm thinking of starting over with a pair of non-wash ones just to see what will happen. I think that by doing this i'll be able to better set everything from the beginning, vice washing them now and just letting them dry.

I'm mostly just thinking out loud.

soak and hang dry them shits, should stiffen up a little at least

I might do that. I'll give them a few more months before I make my final decision. They are pretty cheap from Japan so it won't be a huge loss. I also have a pair of custom Stronghold's coming my way that may take up all my jean wearing time.

Almost all the japanese brands shrink TO tagged size, as opposed to Levis which shrink FROM tagged size

wow. seriously? this go for all 501s? stf too? i just gave my buddy some reaaaaally shitty advice if thats the case...

warning sizing question!- will the raw 55's fit true to size aka 36=36 unwashed or one bigger aka 36=38 unwashed? thanks alot

true to size. the waist should be pretty snug, going up one is doable, but so is true to size

does anyone here own a pair of 40601's? just started on a pair and I wanna see how these could look in while.

I've been wearing a pair every day since January 6th.. so almost three months.

They're very soft and have gotten very comfortable... little bits of fading are showing already, and they've gone through six washes because i'm washing them every two weeks.

They did stretch, they were initially semi slim. But, I could button them up right away. I'm not sure how much these stretch, but you might want to try wetting the waistband and putting it on.

I bought the one wash version and just started wearing them immediately.

okinawa's will stretch out at least an inch or two with wear. i bought a 33 in the okinawa they stretched to 34.5 in when i had them. if you want to stretch them immediately, wet the waist and wear them. put a metal hanger in there when you're not wearing them, they'll stretch.

just started wearing the sc x begin's again. they're going to be my spring/summer jeans for now. post pics when i find my camera.

I did buy the one-wash state. I think all Okinawa's SC40301A come in one-wash state.

does wetting the waist help the stretch alot better?

wear them for a week or so and they will stretch out a bit. i got mine 12/07 and have worn them daily since. on day one, i could barely button them in blueingreen. went from 32 waist to almost 34 now.

i am about to wash for the first time tonight. not much wear so far, aside from some button fly fading. great vertical falling starting on the lap fades though...

@ stropio or anyone else with the edo denim: have you noticed the threading coming loose anywhere? i will take a picture soon to describe what im talking about.

i mean it takes some daily wear for the stretch to happen. easy enough ? well depends on how often you wear it. ive had my 1947 size 33 one wash fsince late october cept i wore them on and off so they still measure 32 beginning to budge a bit now to stretch out to 33 eventually then to 34 perhaps.

Will a one wash 1947 size 31 tagged stretch to a 33 easy enough ?

That might be pushing it because it would mean the denim stretching 2.5"... 1.5" is possible.. almost 3" is far more difficult.

picked up two pairs of SCs this saturday afternoon @ self edge, thanks very much to wade (? or was it chad?) for the excellent service despite only having one fitting room and being slammed w/ customers.

i grabbed a pair of one-wash 47s to replace a pair of 47 501s that i shrank too much / outgrew and a pair of okinawas to serve as a "dark jeans" replacement for my edwin sens that have faded from indigo to a mellow royal blue.

so far i've stuck to LVC, APC and edwin because of price point but decided to man up and get something a little more premium. i've shopped for skull jeans, iron heart, flat head and samurais but i gotta say i was much more impressed w/ the sugar canes in person. i don't really like that dry crispy cardboardish denim (think brand-new APCs) so much. the sugar canes seemed much more to me like something organic and handmade. they had a heritage to them, like i might actually be handling clothes that somebody might have worn 50 years ago (as much as i love my LVCs 47 and 55 they seem totally contemporary) or even 100. there's a sense of the handmade about them, especially the okinawas.

i waffled for a long time between the okinawas and the hawaiis, TBH i much preferred the horsehair patch to the snakeskin patch but the color on the okinawas was just much more my style -- i wear almost nothing but black, navy, white and grey, and as much as i liked the greenish accents and vertical falling in the hawaiis i don't really wear enough earth-toned clothing to make that make sense. besides, my edwins are looking a lot like the hawaiis.

of course as soon as i got home i experienced instant buyer's regret. i remember wade (?) saying about the hawaiis "these are MADE to fade".

i don't want to dig through 100+ pages of stuff*because i'm at work, but can anybody speak a bit more about the difference between hawaiis and okinawas?

Interesting post vahid, I'm compelled to comment even though I might not have much to add. I think you've described the two SC's pretty much spot on. I also fell immediately for the Sugar Cane Okinawa. The sense of craftmanship on these is second to none imo. I later got the Hawaii mostly as a backup for my Oki's, but although I haven't even worn them yet I'm beginning to appreciate the difference in the Hawaiis a lot. Especially the accents in the indigo you described. Sometimes I see them as greenish, sometimes more a deep purple. Suppose depending on the light. Definately a more vivid feel to the indigo compared to the more flat, dark Okinawa. And yes, they just seem to absolutely beg to be faded.

Sounds to me you're about to come to the same conclusion I did; Gotta catch 'em both.

both have a lot of vertical structure. the okinawas are LHT, the hawaiis are RHT. the indigo is from the place the jeans are named after. as you say, the hawaiis have a much more greencast to them and the okinawas have a pretty strong redcast to them. other than that... the okinawas do fade fast too, but i don't think as fast as the hawaiis.

both have a lot of vertical structure. the okinawas are LHT, the hawaiis are RHT. the indigo is from the place the jeans are named after. as you say, the hawaiis have a much more greencast to them and the okinawas have a pretty strong redcast to them. other than that... the okinawas do fade fast too, but i don't think as fast as the hawaiis.

i dont seem to recall many people with killer fades on either kind. i remember Carl had a nice pair of hawaiis somewhat recently...

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12174