Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Has anyone experience any major shrinkage in length on the one wash 47's? I plan on ordering through mil-mil.net so I wouldn't be able to return them if they seem like they might shrink too much. If I order 29x32 there would be room for minimal shrinkage but 30x34 would be a bit big.

The jeans flare out at the hips. Will that go away with time? Please so it's so.

My 47s flare out at the hips like that too. I noticed they flared out after continous leg spreads to get some nice creases going lol. I hope they flatten out later with more wear.

for the 47s, i think it's good to size down one because they flare out and also because the waist has a lot of stretch potential. i have naturally big thighs so my natural size (31) was perfect for me. however with a one wash, the waist was very tight at first. there was further shrinkage after another wash.

after a while, the thighs will flare out less, the fabric will drape more because it will lose some of its rigidity.

one technique some people use is to stick the jeans into a dryer until the pockets are dry. then air dry to dry the rest of the jeans.

another method people have used is to completely dry your jeans in a dryer. then cold soak it again and air dry it to get the stiffness back in your jeans. (jeans straight out of a dryer tends to be less rigid.)

whichever way, they aren't really recommended because dryers do weaken the denim in the long run. but if shrinkage is the issue, might be worth considering.

thanks, i will definitely consider it. The issue isn't comfort or looks, but it just seems like the looseness combined with the thickness of the denim make these jeans impossible for me to put any real visible wear into. i guess i'll just keep putting a beating into them whenever i get a chance, and maybe start bike riding or something.

thanks, i will definitely consider it. The issue isn't comfort or looks, but it just seems like the looseness combined with the thickness of the denim make these jeans impossible for me to put any real visible wear into. i guess i'll just keep putting a beating into them whenever i get a chance, and maybe start bike riding or something.

You might need to just roll up some cuffs so that the jeans don't bunch up so much. My Canes were doing that and once I rolled up the cuffs so that the jeans could drape around my shoes, they looked much better and felt better too.

Starch will definitely help because most people only think about how well defined creases will create a great fade but everyone neglects to mention that if your creases are starched, it decreases the volume of the jean, effectively shrinking it without actually shrinking it. A good analogy would be how a grape shrivels into a raisin. The surface area is the same, but the volume is less.

one technique some people use is to stick the jeans into a dryer until the pockets are dry. then air dry to dry the rest of the jeans.

another method people have used is to completely dry your jeans in a dryer. then cold soak it again and air dry it to get the stiffness back in your jeans. (jeans straight out of a dryer tends to be less rigid.)

whichever way, they aren't really recommended because dryers do weaken the denim in the long run. but if shrinkage is the issue, might be worth considering.

i dont know... my canes say avoid tumble dry, so im gonna do it.

i was wondering if anyone knew if the 45's are supposed to be sanforized. mine have twisted 90 degrees in the legs from sweating in them. the tag inside says sanforized tho, so i dont know. doesnt seem they would say they are sanforized if they werent...seeing as how they pride themselves on accuracy.

left hand twist, to go with the denim.... its lovely actually.

the other thing that i really like about these, and havent seen shown anywhere, is the half lined pockets. very nice detail, especially since i carry my keys in my back pocket and have a tendancy to rip holes very quickly.

Hi,

My first post, just purchased some one-wash 47's. They are baggier than I thought they would be. I wear a suit to work every day so I don't spend a ton of time in my jeans. I'm 32 years old and sometimes think that maybe I'm getting a little too old for this kind of thing, but what the hell.

Hi,

My first post, just purchased some one-wash 47's. They are baggier than I thought they would be. I wear a suit to work every day so I don't spend a ton of time in my jeans. I'm 32 years old and sometimes think that maybe I'm getting a little too old for this kind of thing, but what the hell.

When i first wore the 47s i thought they were really baggy too. Give it some time and let the jeans take its shape to your legs. You will find that they get a bit slimmer and give you a really nice fit. A REALLY nice fit i may add :)

just received some 47s from rnrswitch and they look great. only thing is that it's quite tight on the waist. it's the unwashed version, so should i soak it while i'm wearing it to prevent overshrinkage and not being able to fit, or just wear out? the higes and whiskers will be in a different place i would assume after washing. thanks for your help!

just received some 47s from rnrswitch and they look great. only thing is that it's quite tight on the waist. it's the unwashed version, so should i soak it while i'm wearing it to prevent overshrinkage and not being able to fit, or just wear out? the higes and whiskers will be in a different place i would assume after washing. thanks for your help!

Hi,

Appreciating quality denim has nothing to do with age. Besides, a nice pair will look good on anyone. Enjoy!

Hi,

Appreciating quality denim has nothing to do with age. Besides, a nice pair will look good on anyone. Enjoy!