Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Could a tailor remedy the baggy butt issue? Because mine have stretched a little more than I would have liked too.

i think it would be a major operation: if possible, it'd be expensive. better just to get a different fitting jean. i think the baggy butt is a characteristic of the SC '47s. my other repros are antifit, and get looser with wear, but only with the SC does the rear seem to expand infinitely.

i'd have thought the Made In Japan would be a seal of assurance to consumers, especially since the target group of buyers in this case value high standards of manufacture

isn't it rather so, that you can have your denim cut and sewn in China and all you need is to later put on buttons, rivets or labels in Japan to be able to legally label them as "Made in Japan"?

This is what Diesel is said to do with part of their production, labeled "Made in Italy" but sewn in China, Bangladesh or wherever.

Hiya guys....

I'm in the midst of getting a friend of mine to purchase some Sugarcane's for me in Japan. There's a few models I'm interested in, specifically the 40301, 41947 and 40201. I've been reading up regarding the sizing. So if I want to go for the one-wash models, I should buy true to size and I want to go for the raw models I've got to buy about 2 sizes bigger correct? I'm a 32 in RRDS BTW.

Many thanks...:-)

Hiya guys....

I'm in the midst of getting a friend of mine to purchase some Sugarcane's for me in Japan. There's a few models I'm interested in, specifically the 40301, 41947 and 40201. I've been reading up regarding the sizing. So if I want to go for the one-wash models, I should buy true to size and I want to go for the raw models I've got to buy about 2 sizes bigger correct? I'm a 32 in RRDS BTW.

Many thanks...:-)

Just buy true to size no matter what. The raw jeans will shrink to tagged size. So if you were going to buy a 30 in one wash then you should buy a 30 in raw and warm wash them to get the same size as the one wash.

I just recieved my pair of 47A (the one wash model) and the waist fits me perfect. Im a w32 and i got a w32. They are baggier than i thought they would be, probably due to my skinny thighs :P.

Anyone here who has a pair of the one wash model use starch for the honeycombs? The denim is actually quite soft and i cant see how any honeycombs would develop and stay.

spray some water on the backs of the knees and the lap and sit down for a while... there's still a little bit of starch left so the creases actually stay for longer than you'd think (starch is fine too, if you want that ultra creased look)

spray some water on the backs of the knees and the lap and sit down for a while... there's still a little bit of starch left so the creases actually stay for longer than you'd think (starch is fine too, if you want that ultra creased look)

ill try the water first...but ill probably end up with starch cause i do prefer the ultra crease look :).

Did History Preservation drop their prices? I was browsing the site and the jeans are all under $300 - didn't see any $500s that people were complaining about.

I might have to grab a pair at some point. I'm a fan of the 1920s 201 cut - which cut would people recommend - Okinawas, Hawaiis or 1947s?

Did History Preservation drop their prices? I was browsing the site and the jeans are all under $300 - didn't see any $500s that people were complaining about.

I might have to grab a pair at some point. I'm a fan of the 1920s 201 cut - which cut would people recommend - Okinawas, Hawaiis or 1947s?

the okinawas and hawaiis are similar, if not same cut, they are slightly baggy in the thigh. the 1947s are slimmer in the thigh.

if you like the 201, you might like the cinchback on the edo-ai's, which is cut similar to the okinawas and hawaiis.

also, there are 201ish offerings from SDA and Samurai, but since this is the Sugarcane thread, i'll leave these out.

The edo-ai's are cool, but I'm not sure how I feel about them only having 4 pockets. Sorry if this has already been done, but what's the difference between the Okinawas and Hawaiis then? Different processes in dyeing the denim?

I'm leaning towards the sugar canes at the mo as I'm not going to get a chance to get to NY for a while, and I don't want to hassle with ordering them from Japan, so that leaves HP. Plus my grandparents on one side were sugar cane farmers in Durban, so there's a certain heritage link. :D

with the edo-ai's, what you lose in one backpocket, you gain in a tool pocket on the left side. one backpocket is more historically accurate to the pre-501 workpants of old.

well, the okinawas are dyed with natural indigo from okinawa. also, the basic model features a "habu" snake patch. habu is a poisonous snake that is indiginous to okinawa. it's very important in okinawan culture and is used to make the most important okinawan instrument--the 3 stringed sanshin. they feature distinct pocket fabric and back pocket stitching.

the hawaii's are dyed with natural indigo from hawaii. the patch is hair-on-hide featuring a nice burnt-in picture of turtle. the hawaii premium version features lap-felled innerseams, one of the only japanese repro jeans that has this. the hawaii also features nice pocket fabric and distinct pocket stitching.

the denim color differs between the two, but i forgot how. i can fill you in later.

I know this has probably been asked, but most of this talk in this thread is about the 1947s..

I was thinking of picking up a pair of Edo Ais but I'm not sure how the raw sizing runs. According to a translated rakuten page, if I buy a size 29, the inseam is *about 32.5 inches long. Are these measurements post-wash? Or will they shrink to below 30 after a runin with hot water?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/356860/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSC40500N%26hl%3Den%26hs%3Djty%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

thanks.

I know this has probably been asked, but most of this talk in this thread is about the 1947s..

I was thinking of picking up a pair of Edo Ais but I'm not sure how the raw sizing runs. According to a translated rakuten page, if I buy a size 29, the inseam is *about 32.5 inches long. Are these measurements post-wash? Or will they shrink to below 30 after a runin with hot water?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/356860/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSC40500N%26hl%3Den%26hs%3Djty%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

thanks.

if it's raw it'll shrink about 1-1.5"

if it's raw it'll shrink about 1-1.5"

sure, but I was wondering if those measurements on that site are before or after shrinkage.. I can't read japanese.

I'm assuming they're pre-wash, though. So 32 will shrink upwards to about a 30? I'd have to sag them pretty low :(

or never wash them.

The measurements are post wash. They should shrink to the measurements posted. Anyone confer with this? Miz... DDML?