Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Quote:

on this sizing thing, i'll strongly second rnrswitch's opinion. true to size (which i did on 47 canes) gives you what is probably an authentic fit, but it'll seem baggy in the rear if you're used to a more modern fit (like nudies or APC standards). rnrswitch posted pics in the denim pic thread--minus the wear, that's also how they fit me. and you have to hardwash them before wearing, else the rear will seem huge.

can't see what you're going to find out from trying them on totally raw, except that they'll be too big. i really don't get this measure your waist with a tape thing. my suggestion would be to take a pair of your nudies that is fitting well, and measure the back waist. if you get 17" then the 34 canes will fit ('cause that's what my size 34 canes measure). if you come up with less than 17, then you should definitely get the 33's.

--- Original message by wooster on Jan 24, 2006 03:33 AM

Ok, I'm starting to get a little bummed out. Per your suggestion, I laid out my Nudies (the greycasts I posted pics of earlier) and measured the back waist. These Greycasts are 32/32, and after almost 5 months of wear, are fitting me rather loose and lower on the waist. Not too low, but I definitely need a belt to keep them snug. The waist, as I just measured it, sits at 16.5 inches. I wouldn't mind it if the 47's i'm ordering fit me exactly like my nudies, so....

A 33 you think then? Maybe even a 32 (actually wouldnt mind a snugger waist than the nudies I measured)? If I get them in 1 wash will I still need to soak/hard wash them to acheive a less baggy fit in the arse?

Many thanks for all your informed replies. I'll still post pics of me (probably) swimming in the dry 34's they're sending. Should be here tomorrow.

Edited by TB on Jan 25, 2006 at 02:58 PM

Edited by TB on Jan 25, 2006 at 03:07 PM

TB, yeah, it sounds like a 33 max. but probably the 32 would be better. my bet is the 1-wash jean = no wash jean + hardwash + low heat dry, so if you got the 32 in 1-wash, i don't think they would need a soak or anything. i think they'd feel pretty tight at first, but loosen up considerably after a couple of hours, and then feel fine after a day or two (a quick soak, spin dry, and tugging at the waist would do it quicker if you wanted).

anyhow, that's what i think. but it would be better if someone who has actual experience with the 1-wash could confirm this.

hey!, im only 5'6''... how should i go about with the length of the hawaiis since the lengths are 34''-36''. my inseam is about 28''. should i have them hemmed, if so when?... i dont mind cuffin alittle but i don't want a knee high cuff. thanks!

"Meow.....Bitches" icon_smile_cool.gif

Quote:

hey!, im only 5'6''... how should i go about with the length of the hawaiis since the lengths are 34''-36''. my inseam is about 28''. should i have them hemmed, if so when?... i dont mind cuffin alittle but i don't want a knee high cuff. thanks!

--- Original message by Smackadog on Jan 27, 2006 04:26 AM

My advice would be to soak them as soon as you get them for at least 3-4 hours and hang dry. That will shrink them a bit. Then cuff them as you like and let them bunch at the bottom. I wouldn't hem them personally. But it's up to you.

If you do decide to hem them, I think you should do a hard wash to make sure all the shrinkage is done. I suspect the soak does not shrink them fully.

ask a cassowary

hey, TB, from what you say about your nudies, it sounds like a actual 33 jeans waist fits a bit loose on you. i took a look at your greycasts (nice): given how hard you wear them, yes, i really think a 32 one-wash is what you're looking for. i think they had them in stock at history preservation.

i'm pretty sure that the one-wash canes are the no-wash canes after a factory warm soak and a hot air dry. so you won't have to soak them or hardwash them or anything. it's all been done for you, and probably with less indigo loss then if you did it yourself.

i think the 32 one-wash measures out at a 31.5 waist to start (going by hinoya), and might feel kind of tight, but from my experience of hardwash x low dry, it will quickly (like in an hour) loosen up in the body and go to tag size at the waist. since you're probably only looking for another 1/2" in the waist for a perfect fit, i think you'll probably have it after the first day of wearing them. worst comes to worst, you could always give them a quick soak and wear them wet or pull on the waist to get it where you want it to be.

Quote:

hey, TB, from what you say about your nudies, it sounds like a actual 33 jeans waist fits a bit loose on you. i took a look at your greycasts (nice): given how hard you wear them, yes, i really think a 32 one-wash is what you're looking for. i think they had them in stock at history preservation.

i'm pretty sure that the one-wash canes are the no-wash canes after a factory warm soak and a hot air dry. so you won't have to soak them or hardwash them or anything. it's all been done for you, and probably with less indigo loss then if you did it yourself.

i think the 32 one-wash measures out at a 31.5 waist to start (going by hinoya), and might feel kind of tight, but from my experience of hardwash x low dry, it will quickly (like in an hour) loosen up in the body and go to tag size at the waist. since you're probably only looking for another 1/2" in the waist for a perfect fit, i think you'll probably have it after the first day of wearing them. worst comes to worst, you could always give them a quick soak and wear them wet or pull on the waist to get it where you want it to be.

--- Original message by wooster on Jan 27, 2006 12:39 PM

Wooster, thanks so much for your crystal clear reply. I'm just going to do that. Just finished washing those greycasts, and as they sit here drying, I think they might have the beginnings of a pretty nice fade.

Again, thanks!

Ok guys need some advice. I just got my sugarcanes 1947 unwashed yesterday and I soaked it in my bathtub for about 6 hours. I took it out and then spin dryed it and let it hang dry for about five hours. After trying it on now it still seems a little baggy in the waist and down through the bottom it is all baggy. From the impression I got from the posts I read I thought the pants were supposed to be straight legged.

Well, I know their 34 inseam and I'm a 30 inseam so sooner or later I gotta get these hemmed. Anyways, do you guys think I should try to cold soak one more time and should I just get them hemmed?

I know this will sound absurd, but I think you should wash them in warm water. I did this with my 47s and they shrunk a lot more in the legs and ass area. The indigo loss is minimal and they still hold their rigidness.

I wouldn't just soak them but machine wash them in warm water, with a cold rinse cycle. I have had very little indigo loss with my jeans after washes. Also, if you were to buy a one wash 47, those are warm washed and rinsed and the color is just as dark as unwashed.

Rnrswitch, thank you very much for your suggestions. I did the warm wash and it shrunk my waist and the legs. It still is a little baggy in the leg area but I think I just need to get it hemmed and it will be fine. Is two washes enough before getting it hemmed?

Quote:

Rnrswitch, thank you very much for your suggestions. I did the warm wash and it shrunk my waist and the legs. It still is a little baggy in the leg area but I think I just need to get it hemmed and it will be fine. Is two washes enough before getting it hemmed?

--- Original message by gqb0y on Jan 29, 2006 08:44 PM

Was there minimal indigo loss?

yo!

When they're wet, if you tumble dry them, you could end up with some ugly creases. The drum can crease them in weird ways that can end up being hard to get out. If you're looking to shrink them up (when they're dry), nothing wrong with tossing them in the dryer for ten minutes on high.

Of course, you can try it yourself and see what happens. I would stick with hang drying personally but you're probably right, short trips through the dryer won't do much harm.

Guest Berget__

I have seen pretty bad (well, not bad but certainly not as good as it could be) results when washing jeans in washing machine too soon. When I washed my selvage Levis Red's after about a month (before I ever heard about not washing for several months) and they turned into a weird really blue color. And I have also seen nudies turn out bad after a too early wash. But I used a pretty nasty washing powder when I washed my levis. Should you just wash it with water when you wash them to shrink them down before wearing?

I aint gotta get money man money get me

Quote:

TB-did they send you a pair just to try on? and then if they're right, you keep?

or did you buy a pair, and they gave you the option of returning etc.

--- Original message by nairb49 on Jan 31, 2006 02:55 PM

They did indeed send me a pair of dry 34/34s to try on (well, I paid for a pair with the option to return), and they were so grotesquely large, I didn't even bother taking a pic. I mean the were BIG. I promptly packaged them back up, and am awaiting a pair of one-wash 32/34s, which I plan to abuse straight away. icon_smile.gif

Edited by TB on Jan 31, 2006 at 03:55 PM

Forgive me if this has been discussed already (this thread is immensely long) but thanks to the comments/posts...I went ahead and ordered me a pair of SugarCanes...and am probably one of the very few who requested the Rodeo Man Bootcut ones...with the zip fly...

they arrived today courtesy of the Preservers of History...just on sight you can tell it's beautiful, superlative denim...

but when I actually tried them on...goodness me...

the crotch measures at a tick over 4 INCHES!!!!?!

we're in levi's offensively low Skinner and D-Squared territory here gents...

I was shocked..could barely barely sit in them without the entire jean tumbling down onto the ground...the waist is good...tight thigh but that's the way I want it...they look killer on (standing)...but that crotch rise...I was entirely unprepared for...

I wonder if any one else noticed the same thing...