Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Quote:

Just came back from Japan and picked these up from Hinoya. They smell so sweet.

jns14cq.jpg

jns29hm.jpg

jns38aj.jpg

Edited by rem1x47 on Dec 24, 2005 at 01:32 PM

--- Original message by rem1x47 on Dec 24, 2005 01:29 PM

The Edo Ai is the 40500N right? Can you tell me how much those pair go for? What style is the 2nd one?

i know the sugarcane levis repros are all unsanforized, are there sugarcanes that are sanforized?

Quote:

Those Edo Ai's look really really nice, but what makes them so special?

--- Original message by berent on Dec 27, 2005 02:52 PM

They're natural-indigo dyed, supposedly using the same dye that was used in the http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2128.html Edo eraf Japan. Indigo was very important for economies in the 16th and 17th centuries - some countries became successful powers from exporting indigo alone. I'm not sure how indigo is different from the Edo period vs. from periods before and after, but I suppose they might use the same vat method on the Edo Ai jeans. In any case they're gorgeous jeans.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Dec 27, 2005 at 03:47 PM

I think the Edo period dyeing method would be extremely difficult to reproduce now, but I'm not sure... I've read some things about crazy labor intensive procedures, to enhance the quality of the dye. However, it's not the dye alone that makes them special. Do I need to mention the sugarcane cotton blend, or the production details?

Quote:

But when the Edo Ai's have and the sugarcane cotton blend and the natural dye. Then what's more special about the Hawaiis, since the only thing I know about them is the cotton blend thing, and I always tought that the Hawaiis where Sugarcane's flagship.

--- Original message by berent on Dec 27, 2005 05:02 PM

First off dude, honestly, read over your post before you send it out. Your grammar is at about 1st grade level.

Secondly, I am not sure what Sugarcane does to make their Edo Ai jeans so special - their main claim is the dye, which is supposedly Edo era dye, but how this is executed I am not certain of. I'd be curious to find out but my Japanese is pretty shitty so I can't contact them for information. Perhaps they use urea when breaking down the indigo to achieve an effect similar to the traditional method of using urine in the indigo vat. Weaving sweet sorghum into the cotton is not that expensive. I suspect that the main difference between these jeans and the Hawaiis is the color, which is noticeably unique at first glance.

My best guess is that it's the packaging that sells the jeans. Make people think it's really special with fancy pocket prints and a canvas bag and they'll buy it.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Dec 27, 2005 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

But when the Edo Ai's have and the sugarcane cotton blend and the natural dye. Then what's more special about the Hawaiis, since the only thing I know about them is the cotton blend thing, and I always tought that the Hawaiis where Sugarcane's flagship.

First off dude, honestly, read over your post before you send it out. Your grammar is at about 1st grade level.

Secondly, I am not sure what Sugarcane does to make their Edo Ai jeans so special - their main claim is the dye, which is supposedly Edo era dye, but how this is executed I am not certain of. I'd be curious to find out but my Japanese is pretty shitty so I can't contact them for information. Perhaps they use urea when breaking down the indigo to achieve an effect similar to the traditional method of using urine in the indigo vat. Weaving sweet sorghum into the cotton is not that expensive. I suspect that the main difference between these jeans and the Hawaiis is the color, which is noticeably unique at first glance.

My best guess is that it's the packaging that sells the jeans. Make people think it's really special with fancy pocket prints and a canvas bag and they'll buy it.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Dec 27, 2005 05:09 PM

Sorry for my bad english, I know it sucks. I'm not a native speaker and the quality of english classed was really bad at my school. I'm already looking if they have some kind of grammar course at the university.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Dec 27, 2005 05:09 PM

Sorry for my bad english, I know it sucks. I'm not a native speaker and the quality of english classed was really bad at my school. I'm already looking if they have some kind of grammar course at the university.

--- Original message by berent on Dec 27, 2005 05:26 PM

I apologize. I didn't know you are an second-language speaker.

berent, I thought you were asking what's so special about Sugarcanes in general. As to the Edo or the Hawaiis, they're both special in different ways.

Quote: I'd be curious to find out but my Japanese is pretty shitty so I can't contact them for information.

I doubt they would give you information on that matter, they don't usually have much patience answering emails. Anyway, I bet you could contact them, since your Japanese is better than mine, and I've sent maybe a dozen successful Japanese emails. Just use simple frases and double-check everything before sending.

i finally picked up my SC40401-041 hawaii's last nite - my friend got them for me while she was in tokyo...

i like the cut a lot - they seem a bit snugger than other jeans, but i'm sure they'll stretch a bit.

anyways, like other people have already mentioned... they're itchy as hell!

oh, and i'm pissed i didn't get a purty bag like the dude up there ^^

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Hey experts, oh my first post :).

well...My japanese friend will help me to buy a pair of sugarcanes for me from hinoya. The problem is that I can't decide what size I should buy, and which model.

Are SC40500N (http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/356860/)

img10591814552.jpeg

and SC40501A (http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119706/256094/348982/)

img10591748924.jpeg

made of the same edo ai denim, but SC40500N is natural indigo?

I measured some of my jeans like a pair of n3bp(w32), edwin 505s(w32) and levis engineered(w31) the waist measures about 16.25" on all of them. I like my jeans a bit loose and wear them on the hips, but not baggy.

soo, Looking on hinoya page for the Sugarcanes SC40500N, a size 30 should do it???? or the SC40501A size 33??

what to do??

anyone know a pair of leis jeans with similar fit, that I can try on??

Please help!

Cheers, Martin

Rickson military chinos look mighty fine. Throw in one'a those work jackets and we'd be aiight. I saw William Gibson at a reading once, dude was sporting full-on Rickson/Sugarcane clothing. Made me want to kill him. Why aren't Americans making this stuff rather than a foreign power? It's Yankee shit they're copying. Surely America could produce this stuff just as well, no? Maybe someone out here with insight into this area could s'plain it to me. I'd be most appreciative.

this may be a daft question, but I just want to make sure before I take the plunge into cane territory.

the 47 canes, am I correct in assuming that the cut will be almost if not identical to the 47 levi's lvc repros?

asking cause i bought a pair of the levi's in 30 waist which were too small for me, so i'mthinking of getting a 31 or 32 in the canes.

nairb49

They are the same cut as the 47 lvcs. The canes tag size is the size after shrinkage. the tag size on lvc is the size before shrinkage i believe.