Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Jollyjinx : Ringring, do you know if there are any japanese jeans that aren't shrink to fit?

Yeah. Try the Guitar Wolf's by Dry Bones. They don't shrink. Also some of the Lee-style repros don't shrink - as they try and remain true to real Lee's which were sanforized.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'd assume those SD's and FOB's will shrink if bought dry. You could check with the Heavy Denim guy about the Iron Hearts, but yes, I believe they don't shrink either.

Allacedout : i think i'll prob get a 30.... and if it's really too big still,i'll bring em to a tailor to take em in

Good luck. Try and get the right size if you can - because taking them in at the tailors isn't ideal. (They'll usually cut the waistband and put darts in the yoke to reduce waist size).

Mufasa : I just got a pair of sugarcanes in the mail today. They are unwashed 31's (usually where 30). Right now they feel quite baggy for my liking, particurally around the knees. What's the best way I can get them to shrink or should I try to return them for a size or two down? I wash thinking I might sit in the bathtub for a while to get them to shrink. (I didn't want to wash them but they feel to big now)

If you usually wear 30" then at pair of dry Canes in 31" are definitely going to feel big. I would be tempted to change them for a 30" or 29" (as you can stretch the waist out an inch).

Otherwise, you could sit in the tub, or just soak them in cold water for several hours. That will shrink them up, but they still might be big for you afterwards.

I found some info on Studio D'Artisan's homepage, it seems that the cuts SD201, SD202 and SD203 uses 14oz denim that has been sanforized, great news! I think that the SD301, SD302 and SD303 also uses sanforized, though lighter, denim.

Now, would anyone happen to know if the Studio D'Artisans are true to size? :P

ah, found a size chart!

tally-hoo

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Oct 7, 2005 at 02:50 PM

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Oct 7, 2005 at 02:56 PM

Go with the 29s. I am certain you will be pleased with the fit.

Allacedout, I dropped $195 on that bad boy. Did I mention I love them? The hardwashed version. You might say I choose a headstart on the road to perfection. I wanted that worn and frequently washed look. You may opt for a one-wash or unwashed finish. Unwashed are good and stiff. Make it your mission to break them in. Make them all fucked up and homeless-guy looking. U know how U like 'em, my ninja.

Edited by Denimheadcase on Oct 8, 2005 at 12:02 PM

Edited by Denimheadcase on Oct 8, 2005 at 12:03 PM

34" waist. Because they are washed and pre-shrunk, it was all good. My big question was the inseam which as you know is 34". I told the guy I'm a shade under 6'2", and I buy my day-to-day Levi's with a 36" inseam, for example, because them shits shrink. Plus I sometimes like to give them a slight cuff. But he said no worries, the 34" inseam will fit correct. So I did, and they fit fine. Inseam is a weird thing. Sometimes the standard 34" fits great. Like my vintage, button-fly Double RL's. Sweet. Nice and long. Sometimes 34" suck, and I have to go longer. Man, that guy at History Preservation loves to talk about denim. He should come out this way.

Quote: I bought the 1947's from History Preservation. They are very nice people but the guy convinced me to get 31. Haha, i was planning on ordering 29's. I think I'm too easily convinced.

I had the same problem. When i ordered my first pair of canes from histpres i got talked in to buying a 31 also. I told the guy that my true waist size is about 32, but that in all levis (repros, stfs, etc) i wear about a 30 or 31. Well he convinced me and i shrunk them down by doing cold water soak and they were still too big. I like my jeans to fit snug and these were rather baggy. Anyways i ordered a new pair of 30s and they worked just fine. I now use the 31s for work. My advice is if you want the more fitted look, then go for the size you usually wear in jeans, if you want them to have a baggy look to them order them a size up. A lot of time for the smaller people (under a size 31) they will talk you into a 31 because they only carry 31s and up, but they will special order the smaller sizes for you and it only takes a couple of weeks. Otherwise the guy at history pres is very cool and helpful. The lady on the other hand... not so cool.

I guess Canes will be the next fave for us supertalkers. I've been eyeing this brand for quite some time (thanks to Wei Yung's influence).

Question: Does History Preservation ship internationally? Are they cheper than take-off clothing or rakuten?

Which model is best? the 1947s or the Hawaiis? What's the diff.?

Thanks!

Quote: Otherwise the guy at history pres is very cool and helpful. The lady on the other hand... not so cool.
Not as helpful. Knowledgeable, perhaps? When I got my '50's Buzz Rickson's the guy warned me they will shrink. Cold water wash. No dryer. Ever. I bought, at his urging, a 36" waist. Inseam is 36" for all sizes. I told him what I usually buy off the shelf. He insisted that I go with the 36". Damn if he wasn't right. My Canes ('47. Hardwashed), as I said above, were good to go, right outta da box. But I can see how some might run into problems. When they arrive, if your gut is telling you the fit is off somehow, send them back. Because if you fuck with them, YOU OWN 'EM!. Mailorder does have its little drawbacks. At least HistPres is in New Jersey. It's no biggie for me. I ain't ordering no kinda clothing item from overseas. None. Nada. I don't need it that badly. If I can't get it through an American distributor I'll do without. But that's just me. It'll be good when this brand is available in a store or two, then you can try on differnet sizes yourself, but then those shits are gonna cost twice as much. And that will truely suck.

do you mean that you had a look of them in person, if so, that's way cool! they are indeed very dark and almost black in pictures. do you know anything else about them, like how the fit is, I'm thinking it's something like the APC NS? All info appreciated :)

I can understand that you don't like the red stitching(is it actually close to purple in person?), no one I've showed them to has liked it either. I'm uncertain about it myself because I'm afraid they'll look tacky after they've been worn in.

oh, and do you know what the reason for the dark color is, is it because of the recipe used, many dips or a few dips in black dye?

tally-hoo

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Oct 10, 2005 at 09:49 AM

In person. I didn't pay any attention to the fit of them at all, but will try and get another look this week. The stitching is more red than purple if my memory serves. ('tis a little hazy today). Personally I prefer the stitching of the regular SDs, but I don't think you'll go far wrong with that brand whatever you choose.

Minya, 33/34 is true waist. My Canes 34. Comfortable fit. I bought the Cane denim shirt. I bought it large. I wear Medium shirts. But a Medium in this case would've been way small. I 'spose the Japanese cut small. Which would make sense. Maybe some of you experts can enlighten me on cutting and sizing Japanese style. It just goes to prove a point I made earlier. Why won't Levis (or Lee, for that matter) get their shit together and make these? All Cane/Rickson is doing is manufacturing copies of Levis/Lee originals. Very nicely made and all, but still a goddamn copy. That's all they are. Copies. Does Levi/Lee not see the market for this? And please, don't mention their half-assed selvedge store d/town. I had a laughable experience there and won't be returning. I'm sure someone out here knows all about the minutae of branding/manufacturing. I would love to hear it. I love minutae.

Edited by Denimheadcase on Oct 10, 2005 at 10:40 AM

Quote:

couldn't find an answer to this via the search function, but should you wash sugarcane jeans before you start wearing them so they shrink to the tag size or is it 'best practice' to wear them for a while then wash?

--- Original message by ddohnggo on Oct 10, 2005 12:26 PM

I say just wash it when u get them by soaking in cold water and then hang dry. If you wear them for months, and then wash it.. your fade marks will shift because they aren't sanforized.

Quote:

hold on guys.

the canes standard 47s are one wash... so I imagine that you should just start wearing them.

--- Original message by trinket on Oct 10, 2005 01:48 PM

Sugar Cane sells the 1947 jeans in one wash and in the dry state. I have the one-wash ones right now and have been wearing them for 2 weeks. I dunno what they do to wash them, but the demin is really fuzzy. icon_smile_dissapprove.gif