Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

@beautiful_FrEaK 

Looking really good!
Yeah the denim is quite neutral, at least compared to Resolute 710 which is more of a "stereotype" of a 66 with a crazy amount of hair.
Mine have went from the dark but desaturated initial color to a more light but saturated royal blue after a few washes.
I think the fit is very similar to what John Fogerty can be seen wearing on the cover of Creedence's Green River album, which would've been a pair of 66's.
Personally I've gotten tons of compliments for how mine look on me. I feel like they're my first 501 repros that actually fit around my thighs while still having the correct waist size (a very satisfying feeling).

Did you post some fit pics on here? I am curious to see those jeans on you.

Yes I did not expect very irregular denim, that doesn't really match the whole SC repro denim anyway. I was just a bit surprised about the amount of neps. Also these neps and the colour remind me of a 66 repro pair I had from Studio d'Artisan. The Resolute denim is probably more hairy than original Cone denim (often japanese brands focus on some traits and "overdo" them).
The SC denim is closer to what Cone would have produced (in my opinion) although the 60s Cone denim would probably be more grayish than these 66 from SC are.

No I haven't taken any fit pics, I'll try and take some tomorrow when the Stockholm sky hopefully isn't covered by dark thunderclouds and I can get some more natural light.
So far I like the denim but I feel like it's too early to tell, it took a year for the denim on my TCB 40s to truly come alive and show it's personality.
Is there a 66' fit you do not own yet? The TCB ones maybe? You should totally do an in depth comparison of the all the options when you own the full repertoire!

On 7/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, NilsLW said:

Is there a 66' fit you do not own yet? The TCB ones maybe? You should totally do an in depth comparison of the all the options when you own the full repertoire!

There are certainly a lot of 66s pairs I haven't tried :D I did own a pair of TCB 60s at one point, I had Hajime taper them a little bit as I always found (and find) the leg opening of them a bit big, at least compared to the usual 60s pairs we see from other brands.

I do think we have a thread just about 66s pairs and there should be plenty of information in there :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

quick question hopefully someone can help me. I was under the impression that Sugar Cane products were all made in Japan, except for some stuff that they mention is Made in USA, but I read somewhere that they also have made in China products. Is that true? is there a product code that can help differentiate one from the other?

Mainline Sugar Cane is all made in Japan, as far as I know. They have a slew of sub-brands, including Sugar Cane MiUSA, which you’ve mentioned, and Sugar Cane California, which is all made in China. Other sub-brands, like Sugar Cane Light, seem to have mixed origins.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay this one might not be for everyone. 

But on this episode of under appreciated denims of the world, we have my 1947 jorts that are finally reaching a good stage. Only took them 7 years (don't get too much time in them). Truly think sugar cane denim, new or old, is some of the best. 

20220821_103946-01.jpeg

20220821_103958-01.jpeg

20220821_104711-01.jpeg

Shouldn’t a slightly higher manufacturing cost (this is for labour only) resulting in a higher price be offset by the exchange rate gain by the customer from a weaker yen? I think that ¥42k price is due to factors other than just increased (US) labour cost, possibly cashing in on the recent-ish surge in demand/hype for WW2 jeans, bringing it more into line with brands such as CSF and exploiting the USA-made label. I could, of course, be completely wrong :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, after my moto yesterday, I realized I have caught the crotch coming apart just in time (thank god). Annoyingly I was at SELA yesterday so I could have dropped them off (and bought a new pair of Samurais in the process). But need my wallet to remain heavy at the moment.

IMG_6211.thumb.JPG.fae161ee1c502c77000b07acab9309d2.JPG

This denim is so awesome though, and I particularly love the pocket bags too. These are freshly washed in anticipation of taking them to SELA so they are still damp. Definitely a lot lighter and more green too.

IMG_6208.thumb.JPG.358a7ec489abd4872baf57f4177a085c.JPG

IMG_6210.thumb.JPG.fc8e5dddf5bf33c1c1200e9466f3794f.JPG

IMG_6209.thumb.JPG.27e8580432db8efa0bffa913e482f6f3.JPG

Edited by reallypeacedoff

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, roomtemplacroix said:

brief photo update of my 1955z that i’ve been wearing since december 2021. i like the fit on these a lot more than the 66. 

4BCD7CF2-282A-4760-9CA9-E3ABF240D009.jpeg

6E785AFA-75EE-4002-A12C-F52F16F3ACF2.jpeg

BEA2273B-39DB-4DB3-BA81-4F397510BDBF.jpeg

E5FBD6D0-A91D-4016-A2AF-1F3A377C7C1A.jpeg

3564C7EF-6486-4662-96EE-FDA49DCDCEBF.jpeg

Sugar Cane’s best cut by a mile, in my opinion. I’ve been considering getting a second pair to save “just in case.”

Would love to keep seeing more pics as yours age. Mine are coming along, but slowly due to WFH life.