Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

They were extremely kind at Second Sunrise. In exchange for my now too short jeans they let me have a new pair completely free of charge! This time I left them completely un-hemmed so that I can wash hot and maybe tumble dry with a piece of mind. That's what I call customer service! I have bought things from them before but this time they got new a lifetime customer.

Edited by NilsLW

I’ve never experienced anything like it before either, it was like they were completely raw. They shrank very little over the waist so mostly on the length. Went from a double cuff to too short even without a cuff. I’m giving my new pair a soak tomorrow to see if the same will happen again, this time I’ve got plenty of margin for inseam shrinkage though.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

@roomtemplacroix what do you prefer on the 1955 over the 1966?

at first, i enjoyed the taper on the 66 a lot. over time and several washes the leg opening got much smaller. now i can't wear them as they won't even fit over a pair of cowboy boots. the 55 has a really generous hip/thigh/rise and a very subtle taper which i think looks and feels a lot better on my body personally. i think my biggest with sugar canes in general has always been that they seem to shrink very little after their initial 2-3 washes, but then much more dramatically over time beyond that. i end up disliking the fit on a jean several months into their life cycle that i loved when i bought them one-wash.

13 hours ago, roomtemplacroix said:

at first, i enjoyed the taper on the 66 a lot. over time and several washes the leg opening got much smaller. now i can't wear them as they won't even fit over a pair of cowboy boots. the 55 has a really generous hip/thigh/rise and a very subtle taper which i think looks and feels a lot better on my body personally. i think my biggest with sugar canes in general has always been that they seem to shrink very little after their initial 2-3 washes, but then much more dramatically over time beyond that. i end up disliking the fit on a jean several months into their life cycle that i loved when i bought them one-wash.

it's interesting in that i had the exact same experience with my '66s. the first maybe six months were great, but then they just shrunk too much over time (particularly at the thigh). i'd like to try again in the future in a size up.

Edited by conqueror

5 hours ago, (10chars) said:

How are you guys washing to get so much shrink? I've washed my '66 twice via a hot hand wash and hung them dry. Seems like I didn't get any shrink.

Many, many machine washes

22 hours ago, wavehead said:

@roomtemplacroix did the 1955z shrink up with washes like the 66 does? 

i've only washed mine twice since i bought them in december. once in warm water and the second in cold. they tightened up a little in the waist and the hem, as well as a little residual inseam shrink. nothing major, but i wouldn't be surprised if they shrink more with subsequent washing. the denim is pretty dense like the 47, but stretches much more easily. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1966 2 month update. As you can see they have been washed a few times. I’ve been out backpacking around central and southern Europe with a friend which apparently makes your clothes become dirty really quickly, hence the frequent washing. I’d say my iphone captured the color pretty well, they are a bit less purple in real life. The fit and details are just lovely on these.50890429-192D-471D-9F7A-30BD0A413260.thumb.jpeg.bdb6c5f4a9df27e82c4c3156888650db.jpegD8299A54-FBBC-43AB-8AD3-9B7D5A3E82F0.thumb.jpeg.ac9ef7dff5fd154884f070ccddf57df5.jpeg