Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

12 hours ago, Pedro said:

Ahh, thats great. I would love to read them. Any articles in Fine Homebuilding?

I had just finished a Sunday breakfast meeting when I typed my last message. Three engineers and myself.

The conversations were drier than the toast, but always thorough.

Waiting for the release of the new 1937’s. I wonder how closely they will resemble the Lot 303 or 304 or the 40701 in measurements and number of buttons on the fly. Any insights on the denim weight?

No, I’ve never built a house - fine or otherwise.

Sorry to hear your breakfast was so dull - perhaps you’d have been better discussing those upcoming 37s

some pictures of the evolving 1955s I got in november, they had two machine washes during the first month and then had been worn almost constantly every day.

I wear them short and loose, hence some nice diagonal creases at the thighs coming up. will give em some more wear before the the third wash.

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

Edited by Sympathy-For-The-Denim

Why can’t SC design some type of arcuate on the back pockets of these Levis replicas? I understand the lawsuit but other JP brands have created some sweet stitching. 

Blank back pockets were characteristic of J.C.Penney type denim pants...cheap.

I can say it is very difficult to remove the pocket stitching while leaving the rivets in tact, sewing in an arcuate and then restitching the back pocket.

Edited by Pedro

13 hours ago, JMS said:

Sizing on the 37s confuses me. Like all MiUSA sugarcanes. I guess it's size up one as usual? 

It appears that way based on the W38 only having a 90-cm waist measurement on the chart.

49 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Why can’t SC design some type of arcuate on the back pockets of these Levis replicas? I understand the lawsuit but other JP brands have created some sweet stitching. 

Blank back pockets were characteristic of J.C.Penney type denim pants...cheap.

I can say it is very difficult to remove the pocket stitching while leaving the rivets in tact, sewing in an arcuate and then restitching the back pocket.

Blank pockets are on all manner of brands. You can think it's cheap or you can think it's just minimal. There are luxury brands with blank back pockets. Aside from the Levi's arcs many other back arcs are closer to trashy IMO - or if not, they're a lateral move at the very best. They're hard to improve upon without making anything worse. That said, the hawaiis or the okinawas have some intricate back pocket designs if you want that sort of thing. If arcs are so important there is always LVC, or warehouse if you want to pick off the half of them. You gain/lose something with every brand. Nothing is the true 30s/40s/50s era actual Levi's that people seem to grasp for - but something tells me even if we had that, we would still find some problems with them. 

Yes, as you said, a lateral move from the LVC. 

It appears to me that the vast majority of JP & US premium denim brands have some type of stitching on the back pockets. (Link at bottom.)

Back pocket stitching is like the secret handshake or the Ichthus Christian Symbol—exclusivity of membership. Since one of the biggest themes of denim forums is to impress & identify as a unique community; typically spending big bank on denim in the hopes that a fellow collector will identify the brand, ergo, the wearer as a brethren fashionista.

Does anyone here actually prefer the “minimalist” generic bland white bread look of the 1937 rear pocket over the broken arches of SC yesteryear? Or the other minimalist stitch designs of other brands? More power to you, but not my taste.

https://www.heddels.com/2014/06/the-complete-arcuate-collection/

Edited by Pedro

36 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Yes, as you said, a lateral move from the LVC. 

It appears to me that the vast majority of JP & US premium denim brands have some type of stitching on the back pockets. (Link at bottom.)

Back pocket stitching is like the secret handshake or the Ichthus Christian Symbol—exclusivity of membership. Since one of the biggest themes of denim forums is to impress & identify as a unique community; typically spending big bank on denim in the hopes that a fellow collector will identify the brand, ergo, the wearer as a brethren fashionista.

Does anyone here actually prefer the “minimalist” generic bland white bread look of the 1937 rear pocket over the broken arches of SC yesteryear? Or the other minimalist stitch designs of other brands? More power to you, but not my taste.

https://www.heddels.com/2014/06/the-complete-arcuate-collection/

Idk - this is where I get a little lost. I mean it's fun if someone recognizes my jeans, but I don't really care. This might just be me, but I'm way more interested in how someone puts together a particular style, or wears in pieces, as opposed to what they spent on it. But I don't think impressed is the right word - there are aesthetic values I appreciate in these things sure, but I am impressed by things that are more like skills. Buying, then wearing pants is not a skill to me. Fading jeans is not a really a skill, at least not one I'm impressed by or would consider...I don't know...valuable or practical in any way. It's just what happens when you live life - so I can appreciate the faded jeans due to the life lived in them. You could argue putting together a fit is a skill of sorts, but I don't think taste = skill - and I'm not sure I see anything on the forums that gets to the level of a real costume designer for films etc. Maybe occasionally I do, but it's not the norm, and anyways, there's often no real or necessary correlation with money spent there - moreso historical and industry knowledge. Getting a bit off track, but I guess trying to tease out why your little paragraph there doesn't really do it for me.

I am impressed by the designers of jeans and clothing though - that's the skill. That's one reason I so appreciate Tender, for example. William has a unique skill that, love it or not, stands out and is shared with us. 

I do like the broken SC arches, but as you said, lawsuit, and I do not like any other arches that avoid infringement. So, since they can't do those, nothing is tied for the next best option to my mind. I mean, I don't necessarily mind some brands that do something close or just do a straight line etc, but a blank pocket is just as good in most of those cases. I'm not a huge PBJ fan but I sort of like the embroidered leaf they do as something different, but not too loud. 

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I prefer the arcs of yesteryear to blank pockets, but I prefer blank pockets to just about any other non-arcuate alternative

Me too.

And I'm positively put off by any stitching that might appear to mark me out as some kind of fashionista, which I am not and do not aspire to be. For example I like the look and feel of Iron Heart's 21oz denim but I don't like the loud arcs that announce to people that I'm wearing Iron Heart.

these finally came around :)

IMG_20220404_125738.jpg

According to PSAs Website they only got sold one-wash, even though they've been labelled raw. Only found them at PSA online, aswell, so this is the only info I have.
Judging from the cardboard patch these are once washed, would explain the bit of puckering on the seams.
Now just to hoping the inseam might shrink up an inch more and they are perfect for summer :)

Edited by Thanks_M8

Have Sugar Cane said whether the 1937s are a permanent addition to their range or a one-off / one-season?

@JMS - yours look great. The fact you’ve bought two makes me think you know something I don’t and I need to get my arse in gear. Did you size up like size charts suggest?