Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

14 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Sugar Cane is going to bring out a 1937 pair. So if someonw wants a cinchback pair...

That's great news.

Do you know the denim weight?

Thankyou for posting this.

If anyone is selling a pair of the Self Edge BSPOW in a 34 please let me know. 

or if you have a 33/34 with wear I could have measurements from. 

Have spoken to Kiya - there’s a restock scheduled for March but I’m curious to see which pair will suit. 
Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Nice.. i've seen quite a few worn recently while passing through student-ville.. mainly 40somethings visiting or dropping off their kids.

Anyone remember that short lived dragon shirt trend in the mid-late 90's? i used to go to this club called NY Sushi, i bought one from the guys who ran it.. they had a record shop by day and there was always a few hanging on a rail.. goodness knows what happened to it but it was the real deal, made in Thailand if i remember rightly and i'm sure it was rayon, even though i wouldn't have known wat rayon was in those days.

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Nice.. i've seen quite a few worn recently while passing through student-ville.. mainly 40somethings visiting or dropping off their kids.

Anyone remember that short lived dragon shirt trend in the mid-late 90's? i used to go to this club called NY Sushi, i bought one from the guys who ran it.. they had a record shop by day and there was always a few hanging on a rail.. goodness knows what happened to it but it was the real deal, made in Thailand if i remember rightly and i'm sure it was rayon, even though i wouldn't have known wat rayon was in those days.

I still have a very large collection of NY Sushi club flyers from the 90's because they were designed by The Designer's Republic. 

Edited by kiya

@(10chars) I saw them as well. I would chalk it up to the dying process shrinking the denim like crazy. I'm waiting for the restock on the black SC47s.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:33 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Sugar Cane is going to bring out a 1937 pair. So if someonw wants a cinchback pair...

Any recent details on the release date?

Thanks Amigo.

been wearing these sc41351 in rotation with the tcbs lots lately 

washing hayashi san style, right side out and weekly

pocket openings are starting to wear out a bit, crotch ist starting to thin. good shape for probably 1,2 years of wear, had them since 2018. 

IMG_20220308_103911.jpg

IMG_20220308_103929.jpg

@Thanks_M8

I have received much blow-back here for my interest in laundering practices but I firmly believe it deserves thoughtfulness and is about respect for the denim. Anyhow, I was intrigued by your reference to “hayashi-san style” and its very nice to see through trial & error that I stumbled onto the same routine.

“How does [hayashi-san style] work? Wearers rotate through two pairs of jeans that they promise to wear almost daily for a year. Every week, the jeans are laundered at a special denim processing facility to retain evidence of each participant's life and work.”

https://www.meridian.net/2016/9/28/13093838/japan-tour-onomichi-denim-project

Jaja. ;-)

As a matter of fact, I have tweaked a liquid CO2 process that was developed for synthetics and down fibers to now be useful on cottons. It refreshes the DWR on surfaces and revitalizes down loft, i.e. Outdoor gear including tents & sleeping bags).

Its a waterless process that recovers over 99.9% of the CO2. As previously mentioned, its designed commercially for camping gear but I modify it for cotton fabric & denim after hours.

Its excellent at removing lipids (oils & fats) and as a surfactant for soils. Once finished, the garment material has none of the intentional residuals found in detergents and fabric softeners which weigh down the fabric and prematurely break down fibers including cotton.

We already coordinate with a few high end outfitters that have started buying back and reselling their used “second hand” gear and we hope to find interest with museums and historical societies but many early garments have wool content and are damaged by the removal of the oils (in this case lanolin).

Sometimes, for home laundering, I opt to for a brief soak and agitation in an oxide bleach/water solution finished by a product called, sportsWah, by Atsko.

If I am washing white shirts and t-shirts, then I begin the above with a pre-soak in dish detergent to get rid of any ring-around-the-color and my final rinse includes a bluing agent to make the white “pop”.

Its pretty fascinating how the above processes can even bring back the beautiful texture of denim that has been abused by denimheads that are much too cool to connect proper garment care with extended longevity & beauty.

I really started diving into this subject in the last few years and found a couple forums that are less interested in fashion trends and more interested in all textiles and in cutting down on global water consumption and pollution from overuse of phosphates in most detergents on a large scale (think hotel sheets, etc).

I bet you are sorry you asked...

Edited by Pedro