Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

1 hour ago, JMS said:

@shredwin_206 Just on a little trip to Leavenworth! 

I was pretty sure it was Leavenworth. Haha spent a lot of time there. 
didn’t realize you are kind of local? I’m in Everett. Where do you live? 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Anybody here knows which mill weaves the standard 14.25oz 1947 denim? Nihon Menpu as well or do they just the more exotic fabrics?

Would be cool to see the 2021 cut in the lighter 12oz denim as well :) 

Indeed. Would love to see the 2021 in a lighter denim. Love my 12oz 2009s.

I remember being under the impression, years ago, that Toyo Enterprise had some stake in Nihon Menpu, & that that was part of how the Toyo brands were able to keep costs so low

Looking back, though, I can’t find direct reference to this anywhere, so it may have just been a very believable rumor that was getting spread around at the time

Anyone know one way or the other? If this was the case, it would make sense for Nihon Menpu to be making all of the in-house SC fabrics

On 6/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, rmc said:

Can anyone with Self edge's BSPOW comment on how much these shrink with subsequent washes? It is my understanding they can stretch a lot, but any shared experience with shrinking would be great.

I've only washed mine once so I'm not completely sure yet.  I'll be cold washing them again this week.  I'm sure they shrink in length as stated and stretch back out in the waist.

9 hours ago, vjiforlife said:

I've only washed mine once so I'm not completely sure yet.  I'll be cold washing them again this week.  I'm sure they shrink in length as stated and stretch back out in the waist.

Darn, I was actually hoping they'd shrink more in the waist and thighs with more hot washes since i lost a few lbs. Since my og post, I did acquire a pair. The thighs have since stretched tremendously since I bought raw. I remember my old SEXSC06 pair way back in the day kept shrinking and shrinking....seems this denim behaves a tad different.  

• 3 weeks later...

Random quesion/reflection: What is it about the cut of the 47’s specifically that make the crotch feel tight? (Joking aside.)

I’m trying to pinpoint why I’ve never been comfortable in my 47’s? The crotch is too tight but the thighs are loose and the waits is loose. Is it the tapered hips? The rise? I can’t put my finger on it. 

Some jeans are just cut with less crotch room—this isn’t reflected in any of the standard measurements we take, and has mostly to do with how curved the crotch seam is between the inseam and the bottom of the fly, and how curved the bottom of the seat seam is near the inseam. I don’t have any pairs of 1947 right now that I can look at to check, but usually that’s what makes the most difference

here, I stole a pic from the internet in order to illustrate traditional 2D pattern construction for mens pants:

20210123_231357.thumb.jpg.1b1f26ffed03eff929860520dd520b9a.jpg.7c8488cad602c95ae923e94223f02a2d.jpg

the front and back panels are constructed on top of each other - the side seams (inseams and outseams) are moved 1-2cm into the front panel - the back panel becomes bigger than the front panel - the rump construction for the back panel gets tilted - for the front panel it stays more less straight.

points that determine the crotch:
- by how much the inseam of the back panel gets moved out at the crotch point(not parallel)
- where the crotch line sits (it can be lowered or raised - as required)
- the angle the back panel rump gets tilted
- the angle of the front panel centre front seam (fly front) gets tilted
- how the crotch curves for the back and front panels are shaped

there are quite a number of variables involved to determine the outcome - different construction systems, different pattern makers, different countries - not 2 models of jeans are alike...

It was with much consternation that I read @Ciabatta claim that the SC41947 fits tight in the crotch.

I am quite disappointed to admit I have not experienced this issue with my two pair of ‘47s.

Is it possible my pairs were poorly cut from the pattern and sewn with too much room down below? 

Praytell, does anyone else suffer this emasculating dilemma of having their 1947’s cradle their juevos comfortably?

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

It was with much consternation that I read @Ciabatta claim that the SC41947 fits tight in the crotch.

I am quite disappointed to admit I have not experienced this issue with my two pair of ‘47s.

Is it possible my pairs were poorly cut from the pattern and sewn with too much room down below? 

Praytell, does anyone else suffer this emasculating dilemma of having their 1947’s cradle their juevos comfortably?

Nope, all my jeans are tight in the crotch :sleep:

12 hours ago, Pedro said:

I’ve had no problems with the SC47 crotch [in a very high pitched voice]

edit: I figure where they sit on the waist will have a bearing. I tend to wear jeans on the lower side 

Edited by unders

Not really, but it’s one of the fancier machines from that period - a Merrow.

also called merrow stitch, shell stitch, shell overlock.

Edited by Foxy2

Any general consensus on sizing the black 1947s from SE? I've seen a few people say go up and others are saying not to.
Leaning towards a sized up 38 since the thigh measurements look better, 13 in. on a 36 is pretty slim for me these days.
Edit: 36 is sold out right now anyways, so it's 38 or bust. :P

Edited by Broark

14 minutes ago, Broark said:

Any general consensus on sizing the black 1947s from SE? I've seen a few people say go up and others are saying not to.
Leaning towards a sized up 38 since the thigh measurements look better, 13 in. on a 36 is pretty slim for me these days.
Edit: 36 is sold out right now anyways, so it's 38 or bust. :P

Most people I’ve sized in this jean have gone with the size up. The fabric is forgiving so several people have opted for going with their normal size to get a trimmer look. You just deal with the usual tight waist every time you wash. I believe almost every employee at self edge who has gotten this jean has gone with a size up. I’m a 33 in the indigo 47 and a 34 in the black. They fit almost the same to me.