Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

40 minutes ago, Pedro said:

A “bit” self righteous?

There are a couple of members on here that are the very definition of arrogance.

The cautionary Greek tale of Narcissus is obviously lost on more than one frequent poster.

That's a very odd, out of the blue comment, I don't get that vibe at all from this place, everyone seems cool and friendly..

The narcissists are always the last to know :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 3/17/2021 at 2:48 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Just to add, Togged (as the UK/EU importer) asking 270 GBP = 40.900 Yen for a pair of Sugar Cane 1947 that costs 16.280 Yen in Japan is no less shady.
Like seriously, at that mark-up they could buy at Japanese retail price and sell with a profit but we all know they probably buy at wholsesale price which makes the mark-up even more ridiculous.
Under those circumstences I have no remorse "undercutting" the official importer.

+1

My first Japanese jean, a SC 1947, was purchased over a decade ago at a shop near Covent Garden for well over 200 gbp. The next day I went online and found the same jean selling in Japan for about $100. So I returned and got my money back. After that experience I bought all my Ooe, LVC (MiJ) and SC from Japan without any problems. I recently made a purchase from Denimio and found their service nothing short of extraordinary, and I recommended them to a couple friends who had great experiences as well.

Anyone who has worked in Japan knows that the cost of doing business there is greater than it is in the US or EU. So the inflated prices and margins gained in the US and EU are not justified by economics. Supporting a local merchant is a perfectly good idea to the extent that one is dealt with fairly. Exorbitant price gouging does not support commerce, it supports greed. The prices worldwide for Japanese goods should be the same as Japanese domestic prices. Technically speaking, they should be a little less.

I’m not defending the mark-ups on Japanese clothing in the UK and Europe but can you explain why Japanese goods should cost less or even the same outside of Japan once you’ve factored in shipping costs, additional taxes and duties, etc?

The only (theoretical) reason I could think of would be that combined shop costs (rent, staff, taxes) in Japan would be higher than their equivalents in other countries PLUS the import costs mentioned above. That may be the case but seems unlikely to me.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

23 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Sometimes folk here (me included) can get a bit self righteous about the provenance of their clothes, and sometimes retailers will be equally sanctimonious at feeling their business is being undermined by activities they themselves would shun.

Of course, the above only applies to the specific bits the retailers or customers choose to moralise about and not to the bits it’s convenient to turn a blind eye to.

So if you want to buy from Denimio then have at 

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’m not defending the mark-ups on Japanese clothing in the UK and Europe but can you explain why Japanese goods should cost less or even the same outside of Japan once you’ve factored in shipping costs, additional taxes and duties, etc?

The only (theoretical) reason I could think of would be that combined shop costs (rent, staff, taxes) in Japan would be higher than their equivalents in other countries PLUS the import costs mentioned above. That may be the case but seems unlikely to me.

I didn’t/don’t think anything imported should/could be cheaper than the place it was imported from. Some commercial gymnastics would be needed to explain that - but then again it seems those gymnastics are already in play in some of the examples discussed.

There’s one aspect that intrigues me; mark ups, profit etc are usually calculated as a percentage but why should a retailer make more money on, for example, a pair of Warehouse jeans over a pair of Sugar Cane jeans if they both cost the same to store and ship?

Costs more in initial investment to have them around—if a shop's turning $10k of liquid assets into jeans stock, they'd better expect to get more back than if they'd only invested half that in the same number / volume / whatever of cheaper jeans

6 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Costs more in initial investment to have them around—if a shop's turning $10k of liquid assets into jeans stock, they'd better expect to get more back than if they'd only invested half that in the same number / volume / whatever of cheaper jeans

That’s understood - but it’s the percentage on a percentage on a percentage thing that I find bonkers. In my line of work I’m dealing with £Ms of fees per annum - it used to be that the job was quoted as a percentage of the value of the job. This was the norm for decades until the clients rightly wised up to the fact a percentage of a contract value wasn’t usually very good value at all because the work involved could vary enormously.

10 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

That's a very odd, out of the blue comment, I don't get that vibe at all from this place, everyone seems cool and friendly..

The narcissists are always the last to know :D

I would agree that  “everyone seems cool and friendly as long as it includes the qualifier, “most”. 

Absolutely some incredibly supportive and down to earth members on here. For example, your thoroughly in-depth posts on the history of the various SC Models was second to none. I have referenced it dozens of times as I am sure other enthusiasts have as well.

However, in your communications with me, I would say the concept of egalitarian membership on this forum is lost on you. 

But my reference to Narcissus was actually a jest towards a ponytailed little flower (in keeping with the Greek story).

Lol

denimio's site is definitely a little clunky, but my two orders with them were nonetheless very painless overall. sadly, i can't say i've always had the same positive experience with more expensive 'competitors' in the EU, US, or even japan. i'll try to support domestic (australian) stores where i can, but as highlighted, sometimes the local RRP is just way too inflated to make fiscal sense. 

Edited by conqueror

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

I would agree that  “everyone seems cool and friendly as long as it includes the qualifier, “most”. 

Absolutely some incredibly supportive and down to earth members on here. For example, your thoroughly in-depth posts on the history of the various SC Models was second to none. I have referenced it dozens of times as I am sure other enthusiasts have as well.

However, in your communications with me, I would say the concept of egalitarian membership on this forum is lost on you. 

But my reference to Narcissus was actually a jest towards a ponytailed little flower (in keeping with the Greek story).

Lol

..but why do you start attacking forum members out of the blue? surely you're not still churning over a disagreement from years ago?  your recent posts have centered around name calling and creating conflict where conflict didn't previously exist and why you choose the Sugarcane thread to do this is anyone's guess, if you have grievances to air take it to Oprah or supertrash where it belongs :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, cusswords said:

Was that the double indigo Mister Freedom recently used that I saw on a recent Self Edge IG post about the next SExSC? 

A pair of black/black denim 1947's, FINALLY!

I ordered from Denimio and Okayama Denim once about 5-6 yrs ago and can’t be bothered to buy from them again because they never have stock. I can certainly appreciate buying Japanese goods at Japanese prices but at this point I’d rather pay extra from a US store that has inventory. Of course there might be exceptions, like UES denim, but they’re only sold by a small handful of stores.
The good thing about paying more for something is that it forces you to be more selective about your purchases, versus buying every release under the sun. I look at some of my purchases over the years and asked myself why? I’m one step away from being a hoarder :)

Edited by ColonelAngus

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still on the fence

If these came out a year ago I would've bought them as soon as they got posted, no second thoughts. I've been really happy with the black TCB '50s, though, and I don't think I wear black jeans enough to need two pairs—besides, as big as I am on '90s Cane's, I think I prefer modern TCB to modern Cane's when all else is more or less equal. Little things like the red tab and the standard (non-black, non-SE-collab) patch also make a difference. In the end, I'll probably end up buying them…but I haven't yet

Edited by julian-wolf

I've been thinking about buying them, the measurements for the 38 look good.
But like Julian mentioned I just don't wear the pair of black jeans that I already own all that much...
Part of it is due to the fit (not crazy about the super tapered leg on my PBJs).

i got a pair. a little over a week ago. i love them. i am a pretty true 29, although regular sc47's in a 29 don't stretch as much as i'd like. i bought these in a 29 and they fit pretty brilliantly in my opinion. the waist was super tight at first and stretched to a comfortable spot after a little wear. i even cold washed them and lost a little over 0.5" shrink in the inseam.